This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopetobedoctor101010

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently in my 3rd year of UG. I am a pre-med hopeful but definitely unsure but still very much wanna be a doctor.

I was a great student in high school in the top 5% of my class and a great SAT score. However,
I came into college as an engineering major and took core engineering/coding classes. It was a trimester school and unfortunately I finished with a GPA around 3.0 (I kind of blew off certain important classes, as my mental health was not good that year). After that year, I withdrew from the university and took a year off to volunteer in India.

I came back for my sophomore year as I transferred to a different college, (a year behind the rest of my classmates) but unfortunately, forgot how school was and did not do so well. I earned a C+ in Organic Chemistry, a C in Biology, and C in Calculus, all in one semester. My overall GPA was 2.6 that semester. Next semester, however I worked hard but only managed a 3.4 semester GPA, I have brought this GPA up to 3.0 overall now. (as I earned a C in OChem II). Now that my work ethic is a lot better and I have finished oChem (albeit poorly, as it is the hardest class at my university). Also, I transferred so I have two GPAs.

Now, as I am entering my junior year, I am very much concerned on what my options are. I would like to be a doctor no matter what and will do anything necessary (very much do NOT want to go to the islands though, so please don't just say go to the islands, I'm aware of that option). What should I do? How do I proceed from here? I am planning to take my MCAT after junior year.

Members don't see this ad.

Get A's the next two years and ace the MCAT

Reactions: 3 users
Do as well as you can, examine your study techniques and habits and find ways to get mainly As. Dedicate a good amount of time and resources using one of the many study schedules available on this website to get competitive MCAT score. Depending on how it goes you should be competitive for DO schools and maybe some state MD schools. If things don't go as well as planned a SMP is your best bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am currently in my 3rd year of UG. I am a pre-med hopeful but definitely unsure but still very much wanna be a doctor.

I was a great student in high school in the top 5% of my class and a great SAT score. However,
I came into college as an engineering major and took core engineering/coding classes. It was a trimester school and unfortunately I finished with a GPA around 3.0 (I kind of blew off certain important classes, as my mental health was not good that year). After that year, I withdrew from the university and took a year off to volunteer in India.

I came back for my sophomore year as I transferred to a different college, (a year behind the rest of my classmates) but unfortunately, forgot how school was and did not do so well. I earned a C+ in Organic Chemistry, a C in Biology, and C in Calculus, all in one semester. My overall GPA was 2.6 that semester. Next semester, however I worked hard but only managed a 3.4 semester GPA, I have brought this GPA up to 3.0 overall now. (as I earned a C in OChem II). Now that my work ethic is a lot better and I have finished oChem (albeit poorly, as it is the hardest class at my university). Also, I transferred so I have two GPAs.

Now, as I am entering my junior year, I am very much concerned on what my options are. I would like to be a doctor no matter what and will do anything necessary (very much do NOT want to go to the islands though, so please don't just say go to the islands, I'm aware of that option). What should I do? How do I proceed from here? I am planning to take my MCAT after junior year.
Keep aceing things, and read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 user
Get A's the next two years and ace the MCAT

I would second this, and add that it would be wise to plan for a gap year. Finish your degree and take a year to build ECs and take the MCAT to ensure you do well.
Get the volunteer/ shadow/ clinical hours you need to look strong.
There is nothing wrong with gaining maturity through college. In fact it seems like you are being very mature about your approach (admitting to failures and moving forward strong)

Reactions: 1 users
At minimum: Get overall GPA 3.2+, 500+ on MCAT, and make sure you have solid EC's and a DO letter... you'll get into SOME osteo school

Good luck bruv - been in your shoes!

I don't think it's letting me. Says you're limiting your profile page.
Same here... okay I will post here

So I had 3.4 GPA and a 495 MCAT score out of college...

Obviously that MCAT score wasn't going to get me anywhere, so I did a graduate certificate post-bacc program at VCOM-VA. I met thier benchmarks (494+ MCAT and a 3.5+ in thier program) for automatic acceptance to thier medical school the following year.

I am starting at VCOM-Carolinas as in OMS1 in a months time now and couldn't be more excited!