What should I do/What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clutch21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope this thread belongs in this section. I am thinking/planning of applying for med school this coming year. I live in Texas so I am just going to apply through TMDSAS to all the Texas schools.

I am a nursing major at UT austin. It's pretty time intensive (schedule is inflexible) so I have had to find a way to squeeze some science pre reqs into summers and so on. I have laid this summer aside to study for the MCAT. I haven't taken the MCAT yet.. but I have already taken around 5 practice FLs on the AAMC website. I am scoring in the 31-36 range. Specifically (34,36,33,31,36) VR around a 9-10, PS around 12-13, and BS around 11-12. I have good ECs- Research experience, clubs, lots of sports, shadowing (observation of physician), community service with habitat for humanity. Also, I don't know if it counts but since I am a nursing major I have well over 100+ hours of clinical experience in the hospital, interacting with patients, performing skills like IVs, passing meds etc. I have a 4.0 sGPA and a 3.99 cGPA. I have not finished my O-chem pre-reqs. I checked with the schools and I can apply as long as I finish O-chem before I enroll in med school (So next summer-2013 is when I would take it)

My predicament is that I don't know whether I should apply for this year being that I won't be able to get my entire app in until september. From what I've heard the chances of getting into med school are slim if you apply towards the end of the deadline. I just found out that I could of submitted my app, without my MCAT scores, but now I can't fill my app now because I am deep into MCAT studying (test on 23rd of August), and I don't want to rush the quality of my app. So I probably won't be able to finish my app until early next month and I wont be getting my MCAT scores until late next month.

My question is, should I go ahead and submit my app for this coming year, or are my chances of getting into a Texas MD school slim, being that I'm late to the table so it would be a waste of money to apply? I guess it boils down to how much of a shot to people have of getting in when they submit their app close to the deadline.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I hope this thread belongs in this section. I am thinking/planning of applying for med school this coming year. I live in Texas so I am just going to apply through TMDSAS to all the Texas schools.

I am a nursing major at UT austin. It's pretty time intensive (schedule is inflexible) so I have had to find a way to squeeze some science pre reqs into summers and so on. I have laid this summer aside to study for the MCAT. I haven't taken the MCAT yet.. but I have already taken around 5 practice FLs on the AAMC website. I am scoring in the 31-36 range. Specifically (34,36,33,31,36) VR around a 9-10, PS around 12-13, and BS around 11-12. I have good ECs- Research experience, clubs, lots of sports, shadowing etc. I have a 4.0 sGPA and a 3.99 cGPA. I have not finished my O-chem pre-reqs. I checked with the schools and I can apply as long as I finish O-chem before I enroll in med school (So next summer-2013 is when I would take it)

My predicament is that I don't know whether I should apply for this year being that I won't be able to get my entire app in until september. From what I've heard the chances of getting into med school are slim if you apply towards the end of the deadline. I just found out that I could of submitted my app, without my MCAT scores, but now I can't fill my app now because I am deep into MCAT studying (test on 23rd of August), and I don't want to rush the quality of my app. So I probably won't be able to finish my app until early next month and I wont be getting my MCAT scores until late next month.

My question is, should I go ahead and submit my app for this coming year, or are my chances of getting into a Texas MD school slim, being that I'm late to the table so it would be a waste of money to apply? I guess it boils down to how much of a shot to people have of getting in when they submit their app close to the deadline.

Thanks!
If you can edit and insert the word "Texas" in your thread title, you'd attract more persons with the appropriate expertise.

You did not list clinical experience where you interacted with patients. Shadowing, a passive observership, isn't going to satisfy that expectation. I also don't see mention of nonmedical community service.