Medical What should I do with confusing advice from a pre-med advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
I have acceptances from two state schools which I can name if it helps but not sure if I should for confidentiality reasons. I feel both are extremely compatible with me and my values and it has been extremely hard to pick between them. One has a slightly better reputation and the stats of their matriculated students are higher. My stats for this school would put me almost right on the line for the lower 25% percentile of matriculated mcat scores and gpa, for the other school I sit almost exactly on the line for being in the top 75% quartile for mcat and gpa.

A Premed advisor told me since both schools are near equal in my eyes, it could be to my advantage to go to the school that matriculates lower stat students in order to have a better chance at graduating closer to the top of my class, AOA, and the like.

Is this sound advice?

TL;DR - Can going to the less prestigious school that accepts students with lower stats be advantageous by allowing me a greater chance to be near top of my class or is it generally better to pick a school with a better reputation even if that means graduating as an average or below average student?
Your advisor is an idiot. GPAs are terrible predictors for med school performance.

The MCAT is a good predictor of trouble in med school, but once you get above 502, a 502 is not better than a 510 or even a 520.

Go with the cheapest tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah your advisor is overthinking it. The “big fish in a small pond” analogy is an attractive idea but in reality better students go to better schools for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.