1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by mips13, Jul 22, 2018.

1. mips13

I'm going to start my senior year at university. Until now, I have a 2.7 GPA but have to repeat my Biology classes which I passed both with D's. I graduate May 2020 and plan on taking the PCAT sometime next year. Will any school admit me with that GPA? With what book should I study for the PCAT?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doktor_dud3

Doktor_dud3 CPhT, Pre-Pharmacy

Pre-Pharmacy
    I won't be of too much help here, but I've heard of people getting into certain schools with GPA's similar to yours. Just make sure your PCAT is good and you have good volunteer and tech experience. Also I have the Barron's Book for the PCAT. The Barron's Book for the PTCE was really well done so I thought I might as well keep with the whole Barron's Book thing lol. It's concise, though. Not too heavy on review, just the essentials and a lot of practice questions.

Best of luck to you!

4. DagS132

5+ Year Member

Well since you still have some time before graduation, I suggest you get all A's from this point forward. You can probably bring that gpa up to around 2.9 or 3.0 depending on how many courses you have left. For PCAT, I used Dr. collins, cliffsnotes ap bio, kaplan, next step pcat website, and chads videos.
    I know of one person who got in with a gpa lower than yours and with a pretty low pcat score as well. His volunteer hours, research at university, and working as pharmacy technician really helped him out so make sure to do other things to improve your application.

5. mips13

How can I get those volunteer hours? Do I have to hae a certain certification to work as a pharmacy technician?

6. DagS132

5+ Year Member

Oh. I meant just volunteer hours anywhere. It would be better if you could just work as pharmacy tech. If you can't, try to job shadow or volunteer there I guess.

7. Doktor_dud3

Doktor_dud3 CPhT, Pre-Pharmacy

Pre-Pharmacy
    In my state, Registration is only required to be a Tech. Certification helps in most cases, and is required in others. PTCB certification is the gold standard, so to speak. There is another test, ExCPT I think it's called.

8. stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member

Myth: getting into pharmacy school with a low GPA is an uphill battle.

Reality: schools will take those with low GPAs because fewer people are applying to pharmacy schools, thus they will accept just about anyone including those with low GPA, PCAT, and no work experience. The more students they enroll, the more $$$$$$ they collect. The real hard part is finding a job after you graduate.

There are other professions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. that pay well, offer better job prospects and conditions, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years of your life in school.