What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

je-suis-belle

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I graduated may of 2017 with a gpa of 2.75 in psychology due to a death in my family during my freshman year & also transitioning into college, etc. it was just a lot going on during that year but I was able to do well from my sophomore up until senior year but unfortunately my uptrend grades weren’t enough to save me. I decided to go into medicine so I decided to take pre reqs in a cc, I’m still in the process but so far I have a C in chem 1, C+ in chem 2, B in bio 1, & B+ in orgo 1. I’m taking orgo 2 & bio 2 this semester then physics in the summer. I wanted to know if I should apply for postbacc programs for this fall or apply next year. I’m looking into both MD/DO & maybe podiatry too. Caribbean school is a no for me. What other options do I have? Please don’t be mean, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend waiting until you are finished taking orgo/bio 2 as well as physics. You should try to do the very best in those classes as you can. You could try applying for post baccs in the fall; however, many record enhancing programs look to see if you have all of your science prerequisites completed. By the time you were finished with physics post baccs would be starting. I would wait until next year. In your time off I would recommend getting as much clinical/volunteer experience as possible. I am currently worked as a scribe and it is one of the best decisions I made! You could also study to take the MCAT sometime early next year as well. Post baccs tend to take a more holistic approach to applicants in my experience, so the more exposure and dedication to medicine you show the better your chances will be. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend waiting until you are finished taking orgo/bio 2 as well as physics. You should try to do the very best in those classes as you can. You could try applying for post baccs in the fall; however, many record enhancing programs look to see if you have all of your science prerequisites completed. By the time you were finished with physics post baccs would be starting. I would wait until next year. In your time off I would recommend getting as much clinical/volunteer experience as possible. I am currently worked as a scribe and it is one of the best decisions I made! You could also study to take the MCAT sometime early next year as well. Post baccs tend to take a more holistic approach to applicants in my experience, so the more exposure and dedication to medicine you show the better your chances will be. Hope that helps! Good luck!
Thank you for your reply! I’m going to take your advice, I feel like I’m rushing because of my age, about to be 25 next month. I will take my time & get as much exposure into medicine as I can before applying! I’m going to be a research assistant for my bio professor this semester & im also applying for hospital internships / shadowing & volunteering opportunities for the summer. I applied for ScribeAmerica but I failed the final exam (took it the week of my orgo exam so I wasn’t fully prepared) but I’ll look into other scribe agencies. Again thank you for your advice.

Reactions: 1 user