1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What Should I Do?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by sockdrop1, Dec 18, 2008.

1. sockdrop1

-Anthropology major. The only science classes I've taken so far are Gen Chem, Organic Chem, Physics, and Biology.

-My overall gpa is a 3.43 and science gpa is 3.51.

-MCAT: 30

-Plan on taking physiology and biochemistry next year. However, considering what I know about those classes at my school, I'm expecting B's at best, probably dropping my science gpa to around a 3.4.

-Community service: tutoring, leadership in service group, weekly soup kitchen

-Studied abroad in China

-No research or health experience, I plan to geting experience next year doing hospital volunteering.

-Asian, CA resident, top 20 school(don't know if this matters)

I'm not going to apply to DO. I'm also not going to apply to medical school right away. What I really wanted to do is spend a couple years volunteering with Americorps. However, I'm not sure I can afford to do that, considering where my gpa will be. Assuming my gpa's stay at 3.4-3.5 level, can I afford to do the volunteer thing after graduation? Or will I probably need to do an SMP or post bac to get into an allopathic school?

#1 sockdrop1, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    With a subpar GPA of 3.43, you need to make more effort to get As now to avoid a few years of GPA repair down the road. Why not stay in school an extra year and take more classes to accomplish this (besides getting As in Physiology and Biochem).