What Should I Do?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camel2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a few problems starting off my freshman and sophomore year but I've worked hard my junior and senior year. I have a lot of volunteer hours, job shadowing hours with three doctors, as well as some non- profit programs. I feel that four of my classes will prevent me from getting accepting into medical school so I decided to complete an extra semester of college and focus on extra biology courses and boosting my gpa. I'm not sure what would be the best path to take after that to heighten my chances of getting into medical school. I'm considering a post bacc program. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a few problems starting off my freshman and sophomore year but I've worked hard my junior and senior year. I have a lot of volunteer hours, job shadowing hours with three doctors, as well as some non- profit programs. I feel that four of my classes will prevent me from getting accepting into medical school so I decided to complete an extra semester of college and focus on extra biology courses and boosting my gpa. I'm not sure what would be the best path to take after that to heighten my chances of getting into medical school. I'm considering a post bacc program. What should I do?
cGPA?
sGPA?
MCAT?

I'm entering my senior year. Preparing to take the MCAT this summer. Overall gpa is 3.4 and major gpa is 3.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
You still have a chance if your GPA has an upward trend and you rock the MCAT

I'm entering my senior year. Preparing to take the MCAT this summer. Overall gpa is 3.4 and major gpa is 3.0.
Have you calculated your AACOMAS and AMCAS cumulative and science GPAs? Your institutional GPA doesn't necessarily reflect these.

Link for AMCAS GPA calculator: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590424&highlight=AMCAS+gpa+calculator

Your AMCAS science GPA is a combination of your BCPM courses (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics)

Your AACOMAS (DO schools) sGPA is only BCP (no math). Also, if you have ever retaken any classes, the most current retake will be counted when you factor your GPA.

If you can get an MCAT score of 30 of better, and do well in the extra Bio classes, you are a candidate for SMPs, which could lead to an MD acceptance with excellent performance.

Alternatively, get near-straight As in additional undergrad classes in upper-level Bio for 1.5-2.0 years.

Alternatively, retake the four low grades and replace them with ~As, then apply to DO schools.