What should I expect when job-shadowing a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckyMiner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You won't assist, only watch.
When I shadowed, it was mostly fillings. You might see an extraction or two, if it doesn't require an oral surgeon. Depends on the patients those days, I guess.
It gets very boring to stand there and watch for hours on end. I had a chance to talk to the dentist's husband who manages advertising and the business end. He gave me more info on running a practice, which was more beneficial than just watching the dentist work.

pretty much just watch. You might get to do some assisting, obviously depends on the procedure and the dentist. Hopefully you'll get to see some cool stuff. Ask lots of questions

Members don't see this ad :)
pretty much just watch. You might get to do some assisting, obviously depends on the procedure and the dentist. Hopefully you'll get to see some cool stuff. Ask lots of questions

I agree, the key is to ask a lot of questions (Dentists love that). Ask about dental materials and what sorts of things are out there. You'll be able to learn techniques and shortcuts you won't get to see in dental school. My personal opinion, I would suggest break up your time between a GP, Oral Surgeon, and an Endodontist. That way you have some exposure to many aspects of dentistry (plus OS do some pretty cool stuff which will make it a little more fun). Try to be proactive, where you ask to participate. Some dentists maybe standoffish but for the most part, I think dentists love the opportunity to teach an eager student (I know I do).

Reactions: 1 user
Also talk with the assistants and hygeinists... they have a lot of good information to offer as well.

I started dental shadowing about a month ago and so far it has been a pretty good expereince. You shoulder and neck might ache since I've watch the procedures standing. Other than that, they asked me to assist a few times...that was a lot of fun!

It will all matter depending on the staff of the clinic

I shadowed a pediatric dentist for about 5 hours one time and he let me assist. It seemed like he did a lot of sealants and extractions. Kids' teeth come out so easily... lol It was pretty amazing how easily he pulled them out... and surprisingly, none of them cried. :confused: But I don't think I'm interested in pedo, so... I think it just all depends on the dentist you shadow.

yup, you will mostly just watch. have some questions in mind for the dentist beforehand; i think it's important to ask about the business side as well as the clinical side. you want to get a total picture of what practicing will be like. my first few times shadowing i didn't really have many questions for the dentists. one had a patient flake on him so for about 25 minutes we just sat there and he was like, "so what do you want to know?" it kinda caught me off guard for some reason.

Having shadowed A LOT one piece of advice I'd give you is to watch the dentist and how he/she moves around the patient. You'll learn the why when how and what of procedure in school, but when you're a pre-dent look where the dentist sits, how they manipulate the environment etc... Also the patient interaction/management is a great area to consider

From my own experiences, I've mainly just observed. Saw a little bit of everything like root canals and wisdom teeth extractions, but mostly cleanings. I did get to suction a few times which was exciting!

I know other people who shadowed that actually got to sterilize.

I agree with everyone else, definitely ask a lot of questions. Get the most out of your experience. It's good for your own knowledge plus the dentists will know you're passionate to learn about dentistry and hopefully write you a great LOR.

I shadowed an ortho once, for a week. I just watched.
I interned with a General dentist for 4 years, I assisted with every procedure he did. I got a great understanding of why he was doing stuff and patient interaction, but I really wish I would've paid more attention to HOW he was doing things.
Worked for an oral surgeon over the summer. Assisted like crazy. Saw tons of really interesting things. This summer, I'll be able to assist in the OR, now that I am officially a "dental student". How exciting!
Um one of the other things I recommend is always get a good look/feel of any significant pathology if you can. Lesions, tumors, anything. It's super helpful to start experiencing what is normal vs abnormal b/c that is something hard to "practice."

Hey since we are on the topic of shadowing, in Canada they don't require any shadowing for D-school so I have a feeling asking to shadow a dentist -knowing its not very common- will likely lead to skepticism on their part. Any suggestions how to go about and how to explain what I would be doing to someone who isn't familiar with the idea of shadowing?