What should I focus on improving?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss_Premed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a junior Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major and I am a member of my university's honors college.

Basic Info:

cGPA is 3.7
sGPA is 3.75
200 hours clinical volunteering (will have about 100 more before applying)
15 hours shadowing
Phi Theta Kappa
volunteer for my university's academic honesty board
volunteer at a soup kitchen / food pantry once per month 50 hours
4000+ hours of paid work as a manager in a restaurant

I also presented a research poster at a regional conference but it was not original research it was more of a research paper for a regular class and I put together a thesis based on a lot of published articles on the subject. I don't know if it matters but I do not have any grades lower than a B. I have a small child and so I have very little extra time between now and when I apply. I would like to know the MOST important thing I can do to improve my app. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I realize the MCAT is a big portion but unfortunately I am not taking it until January as I am taking both Physics 2 and Orgo this semester, and I would have a large knowledge gap if I took it sooner. Since the MCAT is a big variable for me right now I am just trying to make sure everything else is good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try to get more shadowing. 15 hours is a bit sparse.

Reactions: 1 user
So I am a junior Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major and I am a member of my university's honors college.

Basic Info:

cGPA is 3.7
sGPA is 3.75
200 hours clinical volunteering (will have about 100 more before applying)
15 hours shadowing
Phi Theta Kappa
volunteer for my university's academic honesty board
volunteer at a soup kitchen / food pantry once per month 50 hours
4000+ hours of paid work as a manager in a restaurant

I also presented a research poster at a regional conference but it was not original research it was more of a research paper for a regular class and I put together a thesis based on a lot of published articles on the subject. I don't know if it matters but I do not have any grades lower than a B. I have a small child and so I have very little extra time between now and when I apply. I would like to know the MOST important thing I can do to improve my app. Thank you!!
Try to get more shadowing. 15 hours is a bit sparse.
I agree with zzxxzz. Second most important would be to try to beef up the nonuniversity, nonmedical community service hours.