what should i get a bachelors in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasra1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so i have one more year left of my pre-reqs and ill have an AA in arts and science, but incase i dont get into pharm school rigth away i wanted to get a bachelors in either English or political science. im not a big fan of chem and bio but i love english, history, and world studies and i think i would enjoy them. will i look less competitive if i do this or what is the best way to do it. oh and i wanna also take a couple scince courses like biochem jus for pharm school as well. so what should i do?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine if you do a non-science bachelors, just make sure you get the pre-reqs done. You could look into doing some sort of science related minor if you want. Shouldn't be too hard if you want to do some extra science courses anyways. Taking some upper division science courses could help you with getting accepted because it shows you can handle the harder classes.

ok so i have one more year left of my pre-reqs and ill have an AA in arts and science, but incase i dont get into pharm school rigth away i wanted to get a bachelors in either English or political science. im not a big fan of chem and bio but i love english, history, and world studies and i think i would enjoy them. will i look less competitive if i do this or what is the best way to do it. oh and i wanna also take a couple scince courses like biochem jus for pharm school as well. so what should i do?

It's okay to get a non-science bachelor's degree as long as you complete all of the pharmacy pre-requisites too. However, if you don't like biology or chemistry, why do you want to go to pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad :)
well lemme rephrase it, i dont hate them, i actually like biology, but i would rather study psych, or political science, or english becasue they'rs sumthin new, and when i go to pharm school i will be seeing scince non-stop so i want to learn sumthin fun and educational. and i like pharmacy because as a pharm tech i love the environment and the knowledge of knowing what med is what is intersting to me. but i jus want to have a good application but also enjoy what im studying

What did the English major say to the Biology major?

"Would you like fries with that?"

I'd say go for a B.S. in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry. This way most of your 1st two years of classes will cover the prerequisites you need for pharmacy school.

Also, a B.S. in Biology will allow you to probably get a nice part-time job in a hospital doing lab work. Once you are in a hospital, it is pretty easy to get another job in the hospital.

Personally, I'm trying to find a route to get into hospital pharmacy.

If you have to choose btw English and Political Science, I would choose Poli Sci. I think a background in political science would be more impressive than english. On interviews, you can impress schools by talking about how government has an affect on the pharmaceutical industry and use your background in poli sci to bolster your knowledge.

If you have to choose btw English and Political Science, I would choose Poli Sci. I think a background in political science would be more impressive than english. On interviews, you can impress schools by talking about how government has an affect on the pharmaceutical industry and use your background in poli sci to bolster your knowledge.

Although this is an admirable position to hold, I would refrain from addressing corruption in the pharmaceutical industry. It's surely an issue, but it is one that isn't really transparent to the public. Interviewers might even reverse the question and ask you "If you know about the corruption in the pharmaceutical industry, why are you getting in it in the first place? Will you do something about it as a pharmacist?" It's an even harder question than you think just because it involves so many ramifications on how to tackle the problem. It might not even involve pharmacy. However, it's totally up to you. Political Science isn't really going to answer this type of question as thoroughly as you think. It's based on what you read and hear about.

lol Anyway, to answer the OP's question, choose something that interests you, but also be prepared to answer why you chose a particular major - especially if it's a non-science major.

Last edited:

I'd say go for a B.S. in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry. This way most of your 1st two years of classes will cover the prerequisites you need for pharmacy school.

Also, a B.S. in Biology will allow you to probably get a nice part-time job in a hospital doing lab work. Once you are in a hospital, it is pretty easy to get another job in the hospital.

Just get your pre q and become a business major. Everyone needs to know business no matter what field you go into. A business degree is very useful. (aka you can use it to find a job! :idea:)
I graduated with a chemistry degree. Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, physics, etc etc. are all a waste if you don't go to pharmacy school, med school, dent school or get a phd. A degree in chemistry will only be useful if you have a Phd. Just a BS or BA will get you NOTHING. ;)

Although this is an admirable position to hold, I would refrain from addressing corruption in the pharmaceutical industry. It's surely an issue, but it is one that isn't really transparent to the public. Interviewers might even reverse the question and ask you "If you know about the corruption in the pharmaceutical industry, why are you getting in it in the first place? Will you do something about it as a pharmacist?" It's an even harder question than you think just because it involves so many ramifications on how to tackle the problem. It might not even involve pharmacy. However, it's totally up to you. Political Science isn't really going to answer this type of question as thoroughly as you think. It's based on what you read and hear about.

lol Anyway, to answer the OP's question, choose something that interests you, but also be prepared to answer why you chose a particular major - especially if it's a non-science major.

I never wrote anything about addressing corruption on interviews. I do agree with you on what you were trying to say though. I just think it's important for pharmacists to be wary of current political issues, especially if you're dealing with public health policies.

But I do think background in political science background is unique and makes you different from other candidates whose backgrounds are in the sciences.

There are pluses & minuses to every subject. I also agree, study whatever subject that interests you the most.

OP, I hope you're not seriously going to let a bunch of strangers on an internet forum decide for you what you will study for the next four years in your college career.

There is no reason for you to not study all the things that interest you. You can major in English, double major in Poli Sci, minor in one or the other, triple major, double minor, whatever! There are a million options. You need to figure out what it is you want and go from there. Do what you need to do to get the most out of your college education. This is one of the few times in your life where you can experiment like this. Enjoy it!

There is no reason for you to not study all the things that interest you. You can major in English, double major in Poli Sci, minor in one or the other, triple major, double minor, whatever! There are a million options. You need to figure out what it is you want and go from there. Do what you need to do to get the most out of your college education. This is one of the few times in your life where you can experiment like this. Enjoy it!

agreed

I never wrote anything about addressing corruption on interviews. I do agree with you on what you were trying to say though. I just think it's important for pharmacists to be wary of current political issues, especially if you're dealing with public health policies.

But I do think background in political science background is unique and makes you different from other candidates whose backgrounds are in the sciences.

There are pluses & minuses to every subject. I also agree, study whatever subject that interests you the most.

Nah, I'm just giving my 2 cents, because it is the most often referred to issue on SDN. I didn't mean to go after you at all. I agree with you though...being unique is one thing; however, it is always important to pursue an interest...or study what you think will enhance your capacity & abilities as a pharmacist.

well i jus want to make sure whatever major i pursue will still make me a competitive candidate. did anyone else get in with a non-science bachelors degree?

well i jus want to make sure whatever major i pursue will still make me a competitive candidate. did anyone else get in with a non-science bachelors degree?

I have an Bachelors and soon to be Masters in Anthropology

And have you been accepted to a pharm school yet?

BS in non-science. Applied to and accepted to both schools.

Last edited:

Sir, what about Chemistry majors?

I have not applied yet (doing the masters first) but I have no doubt whatsoever that I will be accepted to at least one of my three schools. I did also do a second bachelors in Biomedical Science, just because after my prereqs and my public health classes for anthro, I was like two classes away from completing the major.

Just chose what you love. Pretend pharmacy isn't an option, pick a major that is something you wouldn't mind doing the rest of your life and work you prereqs into it. That way you always have a good back up plan.