What should I major before enrolling to pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student144

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which major would be useful for the pharmacy program? Would it be biology, chemistry, or some other major?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly what you major in during undergrad doesn't ever really matter. I was a religious studies major and I got into school no problem.

Hi Student 144, I graduated with a BS in Biology and will be a P1 in a PharmD program in the fall. It's important to look at prerequisites required for the program. Some are a little different than others so you want to look into pharmacy schools that you would consider going to and check their prereq courses required. Most of the courses will be bio/chem related so that's why I majored in Biology. I think what krobinson59 was trying to say that even though he was a religious studies major, he did the prereqs required to get into school. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chemistry would be one of the more convenient majors since many of the classes tie in with pharmacy school prerequisites. It's also not too difficult to land a somewhat decent Chemistry job after graduation compared to the people that have a B.S. in Biology. Otherwise, I recommend you major in something that interests you and will help you get a good job in case you decide not to go to pharmacy school.

Hi Student 144, I graduated with a BS in Biology and will be a P1 in a PharmD program in the fall. It's important to look at prerequisites required for the program. Some are a little different than others so you want to look into pharmacy schools that you would consider going to and check their prereq courses required. Most of the courses will be bio/chem related so that's why I majored in Biology. I think what krobinson59 was trying to say that even though he was a religious studies major, he did the prereqs required to get into school. Hope this helps.

Yep sorry I answered this on the run lol. But the prerequisites are the big thing and majoring in a science/math major helps you fulfill most of those. But you don't have to go the science route only to get in. Major in what you want.

don't go to pharm school. If you are deciding on your major, major in something that enables you to enter many versatile fields.

BME is a good major since you'll be able to get a good paying job with a mere 3.0 GPA just in case Pharmacy doesn't work out.

Sounds like you're just starting school or deciding careers, there is absolutely no need to commit to pharmacy now!

Reactions: 1 user
Having a background of biology mostly will help in pharm school, in my opinion.

Your major doesn't matter. Make sure you have your pre-reqs done, they will help you get the science background you will need to be successful in pharmacy school.

Whatever you want! Just take the pre-reqs and make good grades in those! I know a couple English majors and an Art major at my school!