What should I review before vet school this fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And SOV -- That sounds intimidating but definitely respectable, as well. I've always been under a lot of pressure by some relatives that say if you don't know the answer, you should bluff about it, and I'm one of those people that can't lie unless it's a manipulation of the truth. :p And I actually don't have as much of an issue anymore with saying "I don't know" anymore, but sometimes I still beat myself up for having to answer with it, so it's nice to hear that other people consider it an acceptable answer.

The thing is, many people have very good BS detectors.....and even if they have no idea about what you are talking about, if you come across as "false" they will not respect you. There is a time and place for good BS (diplomacy), but usually people who are full of it are not treated well.

Members don't see this ad.

I have found over the years that people respect you MORE when you are able to say you honestly don't know the answer, even if you think people expect you to.

I tend to take people who can say "I don't know" more seriously because I feel like they aren't going to bs me. They might not be right, but it's a pretty useful indicator. People who have an answer for everything... meh. Not worth trying to determine when they actually know something and when they're full of crap.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is a huge part of being a good person in life. Maybe something I wish I had learned a little earlier than I did in life.....

I have found over the years that people respect you MORE when you are able to say you honestly don't know the answer, even if you think people expect you to.

OT (but I like this story): I had that lesson hammered in when I took my flight instructor's oral exam. Just as in vet med, there is no way to ever learn everything for that exam, and I can't tell you how many times I had to answer I didn't know or wasn't sure (and demonstrate that I ktheoretically knew where to find the info). After the exam I was told I did great.... Meanwhile a classmate failed for trying to bluff through a few answers. It is very hard to say "I don't know" when you are specifically being tested on your knowledge.
Sometimes I wonder if the way we are examined isn't a detriment to being a better person.

What sort of flight instructor are you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Airplane (single or twin engine, land airplanes + instrument "CFII, MEI")

Cool stuff. My mom used to have her pilot's license. Dad REALLLLY wants to get his, but mom won't let him until my brother is through with college. :laugh: She thinks they're much too dangerous. The guy I'm seeing right now has some sort of helicopter license, told me he wants to rent one some day when it's warmer and take me out.

Cool stuff. My mom used to have her pilot's license. Dad REALLLLY wants to get his, but mom won't let him until my brother is through with college. :laugh: She thinks they're much too dangerous. The guy I'm seeing right now has some sort of helicopter license, told me he wants to rent one some day when it's warmer and take me out.

If she used to have it, she should still have it (they don't 'expire', but they aren't valid to use unless you have a current medical as well).

Yet another similarity between the Old Guys of SDN - I'm also a pilot. Former pilot, anyway. Had to hang that hobby up to go back to school.

P.S. Every time I see this thread title in the forum, the one thing that pops into my head over and over is "... the inside of your eyelids."

My bf is a pilot too, he says he might go for his commercial pilot's license after he graduates. One of my exes is also a pilot. Apparently I have a thing for pilots. Careful, boys . . . :laugh:

If she used to have it, she should still have it (they don't 'expire', but they aren't valid to use unless you have a current medical as well).

Yet another similarity between the Old Guys of SDN - I'm also a pilot. Former pilot, anyway. Had to hang that hobby up to go back to school.

I suppose so. It hasn't been used since before my birth. My mom used to do cool stuff though. Apparently being a single woman with a pilots license got you a lot of fun invites, like riding in trick planes at air shows.

My bf is a pilot too, he says he might go for his commercial pilot's license after he graduates. One of my exes is also a pilot. Apparently I have a thing for pilots. Careful, boys . . . :laugh:

my friend and i met two pilots out one night. we have now both been on several dates with our respective pilots. it's like a real life top gun. :laugh:

I have a private pilot helicopter rating as well.

Helicopters are SO MUCH FUN, but super impractical... expensive, and much more dangerous than airplanes.

My favorite helicopter "date" is to fly at 50 feet along the SoCal beach underneath LAX airport. Planes are taking off and landing above you as you are flying below the LAX ground level. Super cool. Meanwhile people on the beach are alternately waving at you, angry at you, or trying to fly their kites into you. It doesn't get any better than that:laugh:.

I am considering the reverse of that.

I have a private pilot helicopter rating as well.

Helicopters are SO MUCH FUN, but super impractical... expensive, and much more dangerous than airplanes.

My favorite helicopter "date" is to fly at 50 feet along the SoCal beach underneath LAX airport. Planes are taking off and landing above you as you are flying below the LAX ground level. Super cool. Meanwhile people on the beach are alternately waving at you, angry at you, or trying to fly their kites into you. It doesn't get any better than that:laugh:.

I REALLY want to take flying lessons and get my pilot's license, but helicopters freak me the f out. Though that sounds kind of cool. But they still freak me out.

Nothing from undergrad will help.
If you really are serious about getting a head start during the summer, buy the Virtual Canine program from CSU: http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/vetneuro/VCA3/vca.html
Start with the bones of the fore and hind limb. Our professors assumed we knew the bones from the start. Look at all the landmarks on the bones, you'll learn the significance in school. Go over directional and action terms. Start looking at the muscles of the limbs.

If you INSIST on studying, then yes, something like this is a great idea.
But honestly, everything is so fast-paced in get school that whatever u do right now probably won't make a dent.

If u want to prepare urself, then maybe plan out some study schedules for later lol :)

To get a head start on vet school:

For pre-clinical years, Learn how to get out of the way and be invisible in the clinical setting with the ability to magically appear when poop needs to be picked up. And have a pen/sharpie/bandage scissors at the ready.

For clinical years, learn the phrases "I'm sorry, I don't know but I will look it up," "I'm sooo sorry, that was really stupid. I do know better, and I will make sure it never happens again," and "I'm sorry, I was not aware/it didn't occur to me. I will fix it right away"

For pre-clinical years, Learn how to get out of the way and be invisible in the clinical setting with the ability to magically appear when poop needs to be picked up. And have a pen/sharpie/bandage scissors at the ready.

For clinical years, learn the phrases "I'm sorry, I don't know but I will look it up," "I'm sooo sorry, that was really stupid. I do know better, and I will make sure it never happens again," and "I'm sorry, I was not aware/it didn't occur to me. I will fix it right away"

:lol:
well summarized.

I'm very good at that bolded part at work, only problem is it only seems to be something that someone needs when I'm restraining a patient and have to awkwardly say, well, I have a pair in my pocket...

That second part is something I'm going to have to say lots at work tomorrow I bet. :/ (especially the second one and the third some also.)

i still don't feel ready though.