What should I review before vet school this fall?

Started by 485501
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, this is worthwhile to do before vet school starts. My classmates complain most about lack of physical activity or healthful eating (when we're not complaining about studying constantly). Take the time now to establish healthy eating and exercise routines, so that by the time vet school starts they will be 2nd nature. It will be easier to stick to them and you'll feel better while you're majorly stressing out about school.

This is really great advice and something I'm going to try to dedicate my summer to. While I'll still be working full-time I won't have school afterwards so hopefully I can get into a groove where exercising becomes the norm (instead of collapsing on my couch and watching the boob tube...). :laugh:
 
All of these things are great advice! I like Minnerbelle's suggestion to make sure we have the BASICS nailed down. I took endocrine and it's already fuzzy, and immunology felt like alphabet soup at the time.

I'm being a sloth this spring break just so I can recharge and stop feeling burnt out. This summer I was hoping to make money or get work in or something, but honestly I can't start vet school already burnt out 😛
 
Ok so I just ordered a cheap veterinary anatomy coloring book. SORRY! It just looked...fun.


But! I have several conditions. When it's no longer fun, I will quit. I'm also trying to get my Spanish to a better level. I'm volunteering as a tutor and still shadowing at my clinic.

I'll quit all this in the summer because my brother and I will probably be going on our loooong-planned Eurotrip. So I'll head into the fall semester on total vacation brain.

And for those of you who might possibly be thinking of judging me for spending money on Eurotrip when I'm about to take on loads of debt, my grandmother left both of us an adequate amount of money under the condition we spent it on something we would always remember her for. Definitely not for loans. I know that SDN is a very supportive community but I will admit I am paranoid about judgement so there ya go.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok so I just ordered a cheap veterinary anatomy coloring book. SORRY! It just looked...fun.


But! I have several conditions. When it's no longer fun, I will quit. I'm also trying to get my Spanish to a better level. I'm volunteering as a tutor and still shadowing at my clinic.

I'll quit all this in the summer because my brother and I will probably be going on our loooong-planned Eurotrip. So I'll head into the fall semester on total vacation brain.

And for those of you who might possibly be thinking of judging me for spending money on Eurotrip when I'm about to take on loads of debt, my grandmother left both of us an adequate amount of money under the condition we spent it on something we would always remember her for. Definitely not for loans. I know that SDN is a very supportive community but I will admit I am paranoid about judgement so there ya go.

I wanna go to Europe 🙁 I'm majorly jealous. No judgement from me as long as you take a lot of pictures and post them here
 
I'll quit all this in the summer because my brother and I will probably be going on our loooong-planned Eurotrip. So I'll head into the fall semester on total vacation brain.

And for those of you who might possibly be thinking of judging me for spending money on Eurotrip when I'm about to take on loads of debt, my grandmother left both of us an adequate amount of money under the condition we spent it on something we would always remember her for. Definitely not for loans. I know that SDN is a very supportive community but I will admit I am paranoid about judgement so there ya go.

I am also planning a huge Eurotrip for this summer! I do not have the grandmother's inheritance excuse however, I am delving into my meager savings, staying in cheap hostels, and spending as little $$ as possible, but I'm doing it. Honestly, I had been planning to go to Europe for a long time - and the summer before vet school seemed like the best time to do it since I won't have to take the time off from work (just quit a few weeks early) and I won't have any classes yet to miss. I'm super excited, and so far my planning has kept the total cost under the budget of what I've allotted myself.

Mostly I'm just excited to not be working full time while taking 8 credits of classes along with volunteering and shadowing on weekends. I think a good vacation will properly destress me just in time for vet school 🙂
 
Wow kcoughli that's awesome! Maybe we'll intersect somewhere! I'm not sure exactly when we'll be leaving since it depends on which grad school my brother's going to (we got our acceptances a week apart!) but we're thinking Juneish
 
And for those of you who might possibly be thinking of judging me for spending money on Eurotrip when I'm about to take on loads of debt, my grandmother left both of us an adequate amount of money under the condition we spent it on something we would always remember her for. Definitely not for loans. I know that SDN is a very supportive community but I will admit I am paranoid about judgement so there ya go.

I went on two trips right before I started vet school (Disney and Vegas)... had to sell my car to get money for a deposit and rent on a flat, came over to Scotland with very little, ended up with NO money for a few weeks... I even decided to splurge while in London and put a few tickets to an Olympic event on my US credit card... No judgement from me... but I felt like going to the Olympics in London was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I wasn't going to let it pass...
 
I went on two trips right before I started vet school (Disney and Vegas)... had to sell my car to get money for a deposit and rent on a flat, came over to Scotland with very little, ended up with NO money for a few weeks... I even decided to splurge while in London and put a few tickets to an Olympic event on my US credit card... No judgement from me... but I felt like going to the Olympics in London was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I wasn't going to let it pass...

That must have been amazing...the Olympics was one of the many dates we set, fully intending to go, that eventually fell through like all the others.

You all are making me feel better about going to Europe...I just felt a little guilty because of all the money I'm about to spend on school but if we don't go now I don't think either of us will ever go.
 
That must have been amazing...the Olympics was one of the many dates we set, fully intending to go, that eventually fell through like all the others.

It was amazing... wasn't necessarily for the sport that I would want to watch, but of course what I would have wanted to watch the tickets were around 500 pounds a piece... (gymnastics is a popular event)... I would not have minded watching some of the equestrian events either but those were around 200 pounds/ticket.... my mom really likes volleyball and since she was with me... that is what we saw...

Here is a picture:

london.jpg
 
That must have been amazing...the Olympics was one of the many dates we set, fully intending to go, that eventually fell through like all the others.

You all are making me feel better about going to Europe...I just felt a little guilty because of all the money I'm about to spend on school but if we don't go now I don't think either of us will ever go.

I'm spending the first half of my summer in South Africa. If traveling is something that is important to you, it's something that you'll prioritize and is no more worthy of being "looked down on" than someone who lives alone or has a horse or eats out/whatever. Take your dang trip and have a great time. 😍
 
Frankly, I don't remember anything from intro bio, and that concerns me. I certainly couldn't explain to you the structure and mechanics of the inner ear... This wouldn't be a big deal to me if I couldn't name at least 5 other rising health students that know crap like that like the backs of their hands.

Now that you mention it, I read a study that said the people that remember the minute details of their intro bio courses from freshmen year of college are the ones who do the best on NAVLEs and make the best vets. If you can't remember anything from intro bio freshmen year of college you're 37.8x more likely to get below an 84% on every single vet school class.

😉

I guess it's hard to understand when you haven't been in vet school (and I don't mean that condescendingly!) If you want to study to feel good for two days of first semester first year, be my guest and best of luck. But I think it's more worth your (general 'your') time to take on a new hobby, learn something NOT vet related, etc. The OP is only going to be studying for what, a month before summer? There's no way that's going to be of any benefit, at least in my humble opinion.

Tropic, no judgement here either. Sounds amazing and I hope you guys have a wonderful time! 🙂
 
Wow kcoughli that's awesome! Maybe we'll intersect somewhere! I'm not sure exactly when we'll be leaving since it depends on which grad school my brother's going to (we got our acceptances a week apart!) but we're thinking Juneish

My trip is set for late July/early August - intentionally so I could work as much as possible and still have time after I get back to move to new digs for school. Also might be starting a new part-time job at the school in late August.

Honestly, the cost of the trip will be a drop in the bucket compared to all the loans I'm going to have to take out for vet school anyway, so I think it's better to do it while you can and have an amazing experience to look back on than talk yourself out of it only to save some money. "You're going to be broke in vet school either way" as my coworker likes to point out to me 😛
 
First: thank you to everyone who continues to give advice! I'm still going to study (sorry most of you, I know you're trying to save me from myself), and I'll definitely take the 'big picture' approach for most things. I do have lots of reasons for wanting to study for the next few months, and some of those reasons have nothing to do with wanting to be prepared for vet school - I don't really want to explain, but please know that I'm not just discarding most of the advice here out of hand!

Second: a question that may be silly. Do most people forget details they've really learned within a few months? I'm from a family that plays lots of memory games/values memory/does lots of theatre and other performing arts/pushes getting lasting value out of every academic experience, so maybe I'm just really strange? But I remember a lot of the details I re-learned just over a year ago when I was studying for the bio GRE. I still remember most of the definitions on my flashcards and such. I only studied for that for about 10 weeks, and I really do remember a lot of that, despite not studying it since then. My mom and dad and sister (and my SO, now that I think of it) do this sort of thing too... is it really unusual? Sorry if this is a silly question! I haven't talked to many people about how long they remember stuff. 😕
 
First: thank you to everyone who continues to give advice! I'm still going to study (sorry most of you, I know you're trying to save me from myself), and I'll definitely take the 'big picture' approach for most things. I do have lots of reasons for wanting to study for the next few months, and some of those reasons have nothing to do with wanting to be prepared for vet school - I don't really want to explain, but please know that I'm not just discarding most of the advice here out of hand!

Second: a question that may be silly. Do most people forget details they've really learned within a few months? I'm from a family that plays lots of memory games/values memory/does lots of theatre and other performing arts/pushes getting lasting value out of every academic experience, so maybe I'm just really strange? But I remember a lot of the details I re-learned just over a year ago when I was studying for the bio GRE. I still remember most of the definitions on my flashcards and such. I only studied for that for about 10 weeks, and I really do remember a lot of that, despite not studying it since then. My mom and dad and sister (and my SO, now that I think of it) do this sort of thing too... is it really unusual? Sorry if this is a silly question! I haven't talked to many people about how long they remember stuff. 😕

Vet school is an entirely different ball game. People liken it to drinking out of a fire hydrant. The material itself is not hard. The sheer volume causes even those with the best memories to forget details. If you have time to remember the details in the first place.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Vet school is an entirely different ball game. People liken it to drinking out of a fire hydrant. The material itself is not hard. The sheer volume causes even those with the best memories to forget details. If you have time to remember the details in the first place.

Oh, I didn't mean in vet school - someone said it wouldn't be worth studying details now because I'd forget them over the summer.
 
I can barely remember the other pages of my toxicology chart from 5mins ago:laugh:

It may have to do with how you study (I've become a crammer and almost everything leaves my head shortly after regurgitating it for an exam) but I think it's pretty common for vet students not to retain much of the nitty gritty crap we learn. I know for me, experiencing something helps solidify it in my mind, so I feel like I will retain better during rotations (or at least hope so, haha)
 
Second: a question that may be silly. Do most people forget details they've really learned within a few months? I'm from a family that plays lots of memory games/values memory/does lots of theatre and other performing arts/pushes getting lasting value out of every academic experience, so maybe I'm just really strange? But I remember a lot of the details I re-learned just over a year ago when I was studying for the bio GRE. I still remember most of the definitions on my flashcards and such. I only studied for that for about 10 weeks, and I really do remember a lot of that, despite not studying it since then. My mom and dad and sister (and my SO, now that I think of it) do this sort of thing too... is it really unusual? Sorry if this is a silly question! I haven't talked to many people about how long they remember stuff. 😕

10 weeks is a long time to study something for, I would be able to remember quite a bit if I had 10 weeks to study for it.... you don't have the time in vet school. I have discovered that I can remember some minor details for a little bit but soon I have to learn something else and so minor details about immunology gets kicked out and major aspects of the nervous system gets filed in.... It isn't that everyone forgets minor details in a few months, it is that you don't have the time to learn that... you might know it for the exam but once that exam is over, it is time to learn the next subject and you need room for it so minor details tend to be kicked out...
 
I can barely remember the other pages of my toxicology chart from 5mins ago:laugh:

It may have to do with how you study (I've become a crammer and almost everything leaves my head shortly after regurgitating it for an exam) but I think it's pretty common for vet students not to retain much of the nitty gritty crap we learn. I know for me, experiencing something helps solidify it in my mind, so I feel like I will retain better during rotations (or at least hope so, haha)

What's really fun is when you're in rounds and your like I can't remember the pathway of the disease we're talking about at all but I can tell you anything you need to know about this other pathway that has nothing to do with the subject at hand
 
What's really fun is when you're in rounds and your like I can't remember the pathway of the disease we're talking about at all but I can tell you anything you need to know about this other pathway that has nothing to do with the subject at hand

:laugh: I felt this way with our last exam.... I focused way too much about ruminant digestion and digestive function so when we were asked a question about digestion of the horse.... I was like..... well, ummm... let's see here... they are hind gut fermenters and they have a large caecum. The entire time I was thinking, "Let me tell you about ruminants..."
 
I wassss going to work on some anatomy this summer, but now I've decided I want to enjoy the beach and get in great shape before I move to the frozen north! With some wine in between!
 
Last edited:
OP, do you have a field or aspect of vet med that you're really interested in? My advisor bought me a really awesome set of equine reproduction textbooks as a present that I love reading. A lot of it I can't fully grasp yet, but it's fun reading the summaries and learning a bit as I go. I wouldn't consider it "studying", but it's more of a nice-paced learning out of interest thing. Just something to think about. 🙂

I haven't been accepted to school yet and unfortunately wouldn't find out until June anyways.....but I'm totally going to be wasting time with friends, shopping for schools supplies and new stuff for an apartment and volunteering at the cat shelter. I have no problem with no studying. 😛

I wassss going to work on some anatomy this summer, but now I've decided I want to enjoy the beach and get in great shape before I move to the frozen north! With some (or a lot) of wine and margaritas in between!

Sounds like fun! I wish I had a beach to enjoy any time I felt like it! 😀 Where are you headed?
 
OP, do you have a field or aspect of vet med that you're really interested in? My advisor bought me a really awesome set of equine reproduction textbooks as a present that I love reading. A lot of it I can't fully grasp yet, but it's fun reading the summaries and learning a bit as I go. I wouldn't consider it "studying", but it's more of a nice-paced learning out of interest thing. Just something to think about. 🙂

I'm going to be doing a DVM/PhD program with the PhD in Genetics. So, research, but clinical stuff too. There's a lot of different things I'm interested in - I'll definitely need help narrowing it down for my dissertation. I may also try to do Davis' MPVM, since I'm really interested in epidemiology, too. And at Davis, none of the labs are pure genetics, they're all part of other departments too, so I'll probably end up doing work that could be for a different discipline as well.

I also like cats.
 
10 weeks is a long time to study something for, I would be able to remember quite a bit if I had 10 weeks to study for it.... you don't have the time in vet school. I have discovered that I can remember some minor details for a little bit but soon I have to learn something else and so minor details about immunology gets kicked out and major aspects of the nervous system gets filed in.... It isn't that everyone forgets minor details in a few months, it is that you don't have the time to learn that... you might know it for the exam but once that exam is over, it is time to learn the next subject and you need room for it so minor details tend to be kicked out...

Agreed, but what I was studying was "all of biology at the upper undergraduate level" including things I had never taken classes in, like plant reproduction and virology. I know it's probably not as much info as is in even a semester of vet school, but it's not one subject or one textbook either.

Also, I wasn't talking about vet school, I was talking about remembering what I review now at the end of the summer.
 
You, at the end of summer: I remember everything I learned because I have a good memory etc. etc. so yay! ^‿^

You, after a month and a half of vet school: I cant put any more information in my brain or it will squidge out the other ear, I swear! >_<
 
You, at the end of summer: I remember everything I learned because I have a good memory etc. etc. so yay! ^&#8255;^

You, after a month and a half of vet school: I cant put any more information in my brain or it will squidge out the other ear, I swear! >_<

the fire hydrant isn't really accurate. It's more like trying to drink from a fire hydrant, in the pouring rain, with a tsunami headed your direction.
 
I have an analogy that I heard before and still kind of like.

It's like eating pancakes.

Day 1, 2 pancakes: Oh boy, pancakes, this is fun! Yum!
Day 2, 2 pancakes: Oh boy, pancakes again!
....
Day 10, 2 pancakes: Man, I'm getting a bit tired of pancakes. Oh well, I can do it!
...
Day 20, 2 pancakes: I am SO.SICK. of pancakes. I'm not eating these. I'll do it tomorrow. I just need a little break.
Day 21, 4 pancakes: Oh, crap. Four pancakes. Huh.
...
Day 35, 15 pancakes: **** **** **** ****...

You'll never want pancakes again... ever...
 
Also, I wasn't talking about vet school, I was talking about remembering what I review now at the end of the summer.

I'm not sure I get what you are saying.... you want to study something now (is this something vet med related or not?), but only until summer starts so about 6 weeks worth and then you will remember it at the end of summer.. but you wonder if that is normal?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Definitely start studying for the NAVLE now. And dang, you'd better outline your senior paper too. Maybe you should study parasites in depth.

NOT.

Like everyone else has said, don't study. If you must, learn something fun that you'll never get the chance to do again - or at least in the next 4 years. Like a foreign language, cooking, art, dance.

My suggestion? Learn how to cook some of your favorite foods - bonus for healthy ones. Then before the semester starts, pre-load your freezer. That way when you come back from school one day, have no time to make a real meal and are forced to study an ungodly amount - bingo! Meal in the freezer!

I studied zero before school. I was fine. I had friends who did study before school. They said it gave them an "edge" for maybe 2 weeks. Not. Worth. It.
 
Second: a question that may be silly. Do most people forget details they've really learned within a few months? I'm from a family that plays lots of memory games/values memory/does lots of theatre and other performing arts/pushes getting lasting value out of every academic experience, so maybe I'm just really strange? But I remember a lot of the details I re-learned just over a year ago when I was studying for the bio GRE. I still remember most of the definitions on my flashcards and such. I only studied for that for about 10 weeks, and I really do remember a lot of that, despite not studying it since then. My mom and dad and sister (and my SO, now that I think of it) do this sort of thing too... is it really unusual? Sorry if this is a silly question! I haven't talked to many people about how long they remember stuff. 😕

lol no seriously what is wrong with you
 
First: thank you to everyone who continues to give advice! I'm still going to study (sorry most of you, I know you're trying to save me from myself), and I'll definitely take the 'big picture' approach for most things. I do have lots of reasons for wanting to study for the next few months, and some of those reasons have nothing to do with wanting to be prepared for vet school - I don't really want to explain, but please know that I'm not just discarding most of the advice here out of hand!

Second: a question that may be silly. Do most people forget details they've really learned within a few months? I'm from a family that plays lots of memory games/values memory/does lots of theatre and other performing arts/pushes getting lasting value out of every academic experience, so maybe I'm just really strange? But I remember a lot of the details I re-learned just over a year ago when I was studying for the bio GRE. I still remember most of the definitions on my flashcards and such. I only studied for that for about 10 weeks, and I really do remember a lot of that, despite not studying it since then. My mom and dad and sister (and my SO, now that I think of it) do this sort of thing too... is it really unusual? Sorry if this is a silly question! I haven't talked to many people about how long they remember stuff. 😕

I don't think it's too unusual, no. I memorized every dog breed and could apply that knowledge soon after receiving my first dog breed book at 6. I have since memorized cat breeds. I am able to expand on this knowledge to discuss most temperaments, grooming and exercise needs, etc. and could do this at a very young age. This didn't take me very long to do, but I was interested in it. Ask me anything about Jung, Freud, Rogers, various forms of therapies, etc. and I'd probably be able to give you an answer or at least an opinion based off of what I remember from the last four years. It might not be down to the exact detail of Freud used a silver spoon to stir his coffee in his book on dream interpretation, but I understand it conceptually. And then there are subjects people are just good at. 😛 I enjoy math but I don't study it for a hobby, and yet I pick it up quickly and remember how to go through math problems even though my last math was in 2009. While I'm sure memory games help, I also think that when you study something, you retain it. It's not always conscious material, but it's oftentimes something you can access. And if you remember most of it and feel confident about it, then you've already got the basics that everyone's telling you to have down covered. So I don't think it's unusual. What people are telling you is that it won't be of use to vet school, when you're going to have to work a bit harder and find new strategies because vet school is 10x the amount of what you've been learning.

For question one, since it's not about wanting to be prepared for vet school, what are some things that you want to study/learn that aren't vet school related? Do you like language or maybe you enjoy the performing arts? Maybe you could do a theater class or get involved in a community theater and work to be a part of a summer production? Maybe you could tutor or volunteer or give back to your community in a way that still allows you to study math, science, etc. through teaching other people? Because as people have been saying, there's nothing you can study, other than perhaps the bare basics you seem to already have down, that will prepare you for the sheer volume of vet school. Though I apply next year, I've been told that attending vet school is like going from the semester system to the quarter system to having the information you learn in each quarter packed down into one or two weeks of lecture at vet school. :laugh: The only other thing I can recommend to you is that you study how to study. Don't get too confident in "I retain everything" or "I have a good memory." Don't get too chuffed because you remember so much of your undergrad years. I actually plan on brushing up on my study skills before vet school because I'm one of those annoying people that does pretty well with minimal studying, and I know that this is going to effect me in vet school when there's too much information to roll my eyes up into my head, think back to the lecture and quickly scan it for the necessary information. Studying study skills wouldn't hurt you either, and there are so many tips and tricks that you might even learn something you didn't know before. I think the worst thing we can do is assume we're at a point we don't need to continue learning because of x, y or z. 🙂 But if you want to study something academic, I suggest studying something non-vet school related that's still of interest to you, since you said this isn't about being prepared for vet school.
 
I kind of want to learn more dog breeds this summer. I am pretty good with them, but not nearly as well as I know my horse breeds..I think it would be useful. Do you think that's too much studying? It's not like immunology or anatomy or anything...
 
I kind of want to learn more dog breeds this summer. I am pretty good with them, but not nearly as well as I know my horse breeds..I think it would be useful. Do you think that's too much studying? It's not like immunology or anatomy or anything...

Horses are hard. I suppose if you work with them regularly, maybe not so much, but other than Akhal-Tekes, Thoroughbreds and Gypsy Vanners, I am completely horse stupid. 😀 But I don't think this would be too much studying at all. You could probably pick it up through reading, which is enjoyable, and it's not like you're learning something entirely obscure and that you won't be able to bring to your environment. I think it'd be something fun and I would do it, but maybe I'll let one of the vet students answer for me. 😛
 
Second: a question that may be silly. Do most people forget details they've really learned within a few months? I'm from a family that plays lots of memory games/values memory/does lots of theatre and other performing arts/pushes getting lasting value out of every academic experience, so maybe I'm just really strange? But I remember a lot of the details I re-learned just over a year ago when I was studying for the bio GRE. I still remember most of the definitions on my flashcards and such. I only studied for that for about 10 weeks, and I really do remember a lot of that, despite not studying it since then. My mom and dad and sister (and my SO, now that I think of it) do this sort of thing too... is it really unusual? Sorry if this is a silly question! I haven't talked to many people about how long they remember stuff. 😕

10 weeks is a long time to study something for, I would be able to remember quite a bit if I had 10 weeks to study for it.... you don't have the time in vet school. I have discovered that I can remember some minor details for a little bit but soon I have to learn something else and so minor details about immunology gets kicked out and major aspects of the nervous system gets filed in.... It isn't that everyone forgets minor details in a few months, it is that you don't have the time to learn that... you might know it for the exam but once that exam is over, it is time to learn the next subject and you need room for it so minor details tend to be kicked out...

Kind of what DVMD said.

I learned REALLY well with repetition and usage. I remember a lot of the GRE vocab I studied because I reviewed them over and over again. I remember tons of stuff from my working days because I actually used the knowledge.

In vet school there is absolutely NO time to review stuff more than a couple of times so for me I might as well not even bother learning it. I can retain it for a few days to regurgitate it on an exam, but then it is literally gone forever. If it comes up in another class... time to relearn it all over again, to forget it again.

A few things do stick when I happen to see it in clinics around when I learn it. That is kind of neat, but for now not really happening much.

I don't think the firehose analogy works too well, because at least some of that water is going to get inside you... More like x-rays, they pass right through me, they permanently damage me, but there is nothing left of them when they are done. Bitter? Oh yeah.
 
Definitely start studying for the NAVLE now.

First lecture in Ag Animal seminar (like our third day of vet school?), Dr. Gay tells us to start preparing for the NAVLE...

Haha. I don't know if he said that to your class too but he TERRIFIED us and you know at least 3 first years went home and panicked that they hadn't thought to buy NAVLE study materials yet..

Just thinking about this makes me chuckle 😀
 
I know I'll probably get shot down for this, but does anyone recommend reading books on improving memory and critical thinking/problem solving skills before vet school? I know it was mentioned in another thread but I can't remember which one.
 
I know I'll probably get shot down for this, but does anyone recommend reading books on improving memory and critical thinking/problem solving skills before vet school? I know it was mentioned in another thread but I can't remember which one.

I say go for it on the former. Anything to help memorization in general would help.

As for critical thinking/problem solving... those skills will be very underutilized the next few years... as in not at all, you can dust those books off for clinical years if your brain still has any mileage left.
 
I know I'll probably get shot down for this, but does anyone recommend reading books on improving memory and critical thinking/problem solving skills before vet school? I know it was mentioned in another thread but I can't remember which one.

Would you consider games? Or do you definitely want books? I know my mother does educational therapy with her students using games and probably knows of some games I could recommend (or types of games you could seek at your level). They're quite fun, and some of them are actually extremely challenging, but they're also very helpful. 😛 If you want books, I'm afraid I can't help you there!
 
washbucket, I'm also planning on studying a bit this summer. I've been in grad school for Pathology for the past 3 years and have gotten to that point in my research where I've focused so intently on my tiny tiny corner of cancer biology that I've *completely* forgotten a lot of the big picture. Like, I sometimes forget which organs are connected to each other. 😳 I'm going to follow Minnerbelle's advice and try to get a *very basic* feel for the organ systems, endocrinology, and anatomy. But I'm only using my high school biology book and not any of the upper-level texts I've accumulated, b/c I know going into any more detail will just be an overload.

I'm also planning to learn to drive and to cook. I suspect that at the end of the summer, I will know 1 organ system, how to sit behind the wheel of a car w/out freaking out, and perhaps how to boil water. it's going to be a very productive summer. 😀
 
I am planning on reviewing "day drinking", each day until vet school starts. Call my friends, grab frozen drinks, and day drink on the beach or at the pool.

100% way to ensure being relaxed come next August 👍
 
washbucket, I'm also planning on studying a bit this summer. I've been in grad school for Pathology for the past 3 years and have gotten to that point in my research where I've focused so intently on my tiny tiny corner of cancer biology that I've *completely* forgotten a lot of the big picture. Like, I sometimes forget which organs are connected to each other. 😳 I'm going to follow Minnerbelle's advice and try to get a *very basic* feel for the organ systems, endocrinology, and anatomy. But I'm only using my high school biology book and not any of the upper-level texts I've accumulated, b/c I know going into any more detail will just be an overload.

I'm also planning to learn to drive and to cook. I suspect that at the end of the summer, I will know 1 organ system, how to sit behind the wheel of a car w/out freaking out, and perhaps how to boil water. it's going to be a very productive summer. 😀

The whole driving thing is on my list too, starting tomorrow. My first lesson is going to be in a parking lot with a bunch of orange cones. 😀 Best of luck to you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Learning in vet school is like doing a hot dog eating contest. Yeah, a little of it might get absorbed and stick with you, but most of it is gonna come back out one way or another. And you will deeply, deeply despise hotdogs afterward.

And no, no one's brain can absorb it all, no matter how many memory games they do or play productions they've been in. I have a damn good memory and by third year I can barely navigate to the grocery store in my hometown much less tell you anything about the innervation of any muscle in the body, ever. Those bible stories from elementary school are still there though; if only I could find a way to delete them maybe I could tell you something about the brachial plexus...

The way we are educated in the classroom is incredibly inefficient and painful. Clinics have been so much more helpful for me since there is context and the material is organized in a useful way. Even so, I will be looking up things my whole career and that is just fine. I think a huge part of being a good vet is knowing what you don't know and being willing to admit that and just ask or look it up.
 
The way we are educated in the classroom is incredibly inefficient and painful. Clinics have been so much more helpful for me since there is context and the material is organized in a useful way. Even so, I will be looking up things my whole career and that is just fine. I think a huge part of being a good vet is knowing what you don't know and being willing to admit that and just ask or look it up.

👍👍👍

This is a huge part of being a good person in life. Maybe something I wish I had learned a little earlier than I did in life.....

I have found over the years that people respect you MORE when you are able to say you honestly don't know the answer, even if you think people expect you to.

OT (but I like this story): I had that lesson hammered in when I took my flight instructor's oral exam. Just as in vet med, there is no way to ever learn everything for that exam, and I can't tell you how many times I had to answer I didn't know or wasn't sure (and demonstrate that I ktheoretically knew where to find the info). After the exam I was told I did great.... Meanwhile a classmate failed for trying to bluff through a few answers. It is very hard to say "I don't know" when you are specifically being tested on your knowledge.
Sometimes I wonder if the way we are examined isn't a detriment to being a better person.
 
Sometimes I wonder if the way we are examined isn't a detriment to being a better person.

I never thought about it that way. It is a really interesting idea to think about.

Sometimes it seems as though the people with the most bravado succeed because confidence is rewarded. I am thinking back to my UG Comparative Anatomy class where one of the pre-med majors gave a presentation. His manner was direct, confident, and he presented the material as though it was correct. Come to find out we was wrong about 50% of it. He still did well. Others who had wrong information, but appears less confident in their presentation did worse.
 
I never thought about it that way. It is a really interesting idea to think about.

Sometimes it seems as though the people with the most bravado succeed because confidence is rewarded. I am thinking back to my UG Comparative Anatomy class where one of the pre-med majors gave a presentation. His manner was direct, confident, and he presented the material as though it was correct. Come to find out we was wrong about 50% of it. He still did well. Others who had wrong information, but appears less confident in their presentation did worse.

One of my undergraduate English courses the grade was based off how much you communicated within the class, so the people with more confidence and those who were more outgoing were rewarded with the better grades than those that were a bit more shy and quiet.... even if the quiet people had overall better responses, simply because they did not talk as much their grade was bumped down and those that talked more received better grades... sucked for me because I tend to be a sit back and soak in the information type of person and I really only say something when I have something to say which often meant that I might go three or four classes without saying a word...
 
One of my undergraduate English courses the grade was based off how much you communicated within the class, so the people with more confidence and those who were more outgoing were rewarded with the better grades than those that were a bit more shy and quiet.... even if the quiet people had overall better responses, simply because they did not talk as much their grade was bumped down and those that talked more received better grades... sucked for me because I tend to be a sit back and soak in the information type of person and I really only say something when I have something to say which often meant that I might go three or four classes without saying a word...

That's awful. I've had classes graded this way and I've often confronted the professor about it (during office hours, of course) because the idea of being graded significantly on participation or speaking up or providing answers as opposed to being graded on how thought out your answers were when you gave them, how actively you listened to your classmates, etc. bothered me greatly. I only had one professor who said my participation grade was actually high because he could tell how much I was listening to everyone else and drinking in the lecture and discussion. But there are others who have told me I have to speak up at least once per class or I will fail the class. 👎 I have ultimately become more confident in sharing my ideas, but generally speaking, this type of thing bothers me because the amount of communication in a class is not directly correlated with how much someone is learning or knows, so I feel you.

And SOV -- That sounds intimidating but definitely respectable, as well. I've always been under a lot of pressure by some relatives that say if you don't know the answer, you should bluff about it, and I'm one of those people that can't lie unless it's a manipulation of the truth. 😛 And I actually don't have as much of an issue anymore with saying "I don't know" anymore, but sometimes I still beat myself up for having to answer with it, so it's nice to hear that other people consider it an acceptable answer.