What should I take from my shadowing experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vornskr1030

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year undergraduate interested in optometry, so I've started shadowing at an optometrist's office just to see what it's like. Today was my first day, but I wasn't sure what to take from it. The entire time just seemed like a pretty routine procedure: asking about recent problems, refraction, checking for glaucoma, dilation, checking for eye diseases. I basically just stood around listening and observing, but after awhile, it felt pretty repetitive and since I wasn't really doing anything, I got kind of bored. So I'm wondering if people could share what they liked about their shadowing experience and/or give advice about what I should do or look for the next time I go in. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did an internship in an optometrist's office two years ago and it got pretty routine too. But basically just try to ask if you can do the front end stuff, like pre-screenings (color blindness and peripheral vision tests, etc.), fixing and fitting glasses, and helping patients put on contact lenses for the first time. This got pretty repetitive too but then I tried to make the best out of my experience by talking to the patients, remembering their names, and getting to know them. If anything the most I got out of my internship was getting to know the patients and receiving their kindness and thanks. That was definitely the most rewarding part.

Thanks alferec. Anyone else want to share what part of shadowing they liked best? Or how did it help you make the decision that optometry is something you want to do as a career?

vornskr1030 said:
Thanks alferec. Anyone else want to share what part of shadowing they liked best? Or how did it help you make the decision that optometry is something you want to do as a career?
I am also shadowing at an O D office. It is very repetitive. Now they let me do perceptional test for patients, so I dont get bored. What I like most is making lenses or glasses (cutting them and stuffs) LOL. I should be an optician haha. I guess they teach you how to make lenses or glasses in Optometry school too.