Medical What should I write about for adversity essay prompt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need help choosing between these experiences for my adversity prompt on secondaries:

1) Being born in the states to first-gen immigrant parents, English (my native language) is not my parents' native language and vice versa. This made it particularly difficult to express myself to them, as my ability to speak my foreign language was very basic conversational level. This led to me being very shy as a kid, especially when with my parents. I noticed that I could have deeper conversations with my friends' parents since I always felt more comfortable and expressive speaking in English. Also, I really longed for the familial comfort my peers had whenever I went to their house. I could see how close they were with their family, and I could never relate to that at all. I never really opened up to my parents until recently, and I realized how important communication is to a sense of support. Because of this, I was a very independent child growing up who always figured things out on my own instead of consulting my parents for help with struggles in school, relationships, etc.

2) During the early months of COVID, pretty much everyone I knew (including all my roommates) went home to quarantine with their family. Since I work in healthcare, I had to stay back and live in isolation for a long time. While everyone was spending time with their families, I was just by myself for weeks on end. I also couldn't do much outside of work due to the quarantine, and I was pretty scared of getting sick considering I was actively testing COVID patients at work. This period of isolation took a toll on me mentally, but I overcame it by building healthy habits and staying productive.
#1 can describe up to 30% of all med students. So that's a no go.

#2) Pretty much everybody in the US had to do this, so try something that really showed us your coping skills and grit. It does OT have to be Medicine related, nor life and death. In addition, many schools now have a COVID effects prompt in their apps.

Members don't see this ad.

I need more with #1, or else as @Goro notes, you aren't really telling us anything about overcoming adversity. The details may help convince me, but as you have described it, I'm going to need more.

#2: I agree with Goro, you should reserve this for a COVID-19 essay or any interview question where this might be good to bring up. Everyone will easily reflex into the COVID-19 situation as an answer so you either have to really make it stand out or choose a different situation in your personal life.

I appreciate the advice! I did a little deep dive on my life and realized an adversity that has become so ingrained into my life I almost forgot about it. When I was around 8 I developed a transient tic disorder which basically made it look like I was winking. In middle school, people would stare at me and laugh whenever it happened, and it took a lot of effort to try and suppress it. It didn't impair me physically in any way but I got bullied a lot for it up until mid high school. It was really embarrassing and made me feel really insecure when people would ask me if I just winked at them. I still kinda have the tic but I've learned to control it a lot to where it's not that apparent. Also, I've learned to just accept it as part of who I am. This isn't life and death by any means, but do you think it is a good topic?
That's fine

I appreciate the advice! I did a little deep dive on my life and realized an adversity that has become so ingrained into my life I almost forgot about it. When I was around 8 I developed a transient tic disorder which basically made it look like I was winking. In middle school, people would stare at me and laugh whenever it happened, and it took a lot of effort to try and suppress it. It didn't impair me physically in any way but I got bullied a lot for it up until mid high school. It was really embarrassing and made me feel really insecure when people would ask me if I just winked at them. I still kinda have the tic but I've learned to control it a lot to where it's not that apparent. Also, I've learned to just accept it as part of who I am. This isn't life and death by any means, but do you think it is a good topic?
My opinion it's okay by itself. You did imply that you had adversity "ingrained into your life" so what are the other circumstances you have had to overcome?

I think this one sounds reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.