What should ladies wear for interviews....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HorseGirl12

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you suggest for women to wear to interviews? Suits? Pants/skirt or dress type? Any shoe suggestions?
 
They say to wear your best business attire. I plan on wearing a pant suit to my interviews. My friend that went through the process last year said that most women wore pants suits and only a few wore skirt suits.
 
Most of the people at the interviews wear suits (with a couple exceptions). I didn't own a suit for the first interview I went to, so I wore nice pants and blouse, and I still got accepted. I did go out and buy a skirt suit for the second one. I would suggest wearing nice flats because the last two interviews that I went on, I had to walk up and down stairs multiple times.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wore a pant suit. Charcoal grey. Underneath I wore a solid colored shirt, tucked in. (I'm not a "collared shirt" type of gal, so I just wore a plain shirt with a normal scoop neckline in a nice color so my outfit would still have personality). Basic black pumps, with a small heel. Hose. Hair back. Pearl earrings & a very simple necklace. No rings (expection if you're engaged/married), no bracelets. My roommate's mother is an image consultant and I talked with her about interview attire. Everything I listed above is what she recommended. I didn't have a suit prior to PT interviews, but I felt it was a good investment. I wore it to every interview I had and it can be used in the future for many occasions. I had it tailored as well. Good luck to you! 🙂
 
I wore a pant suit. Charcoal grey. Underneath I wore a solid colored shirt, tucked in. (I'm not a "collared shirt" type of gal, so I just wore a plain shirt with a normal scoop neckline in a nice color so my outfit would still have personality). Basic black pumps, with a small heel. Hose. Hair back. Pearl earrings & a very simple necklace. No rings (expection if you're engaged/married), no bracelets. My roommate's mother is an image consultant and I talked with her about interview attire. Everything I listed above is what she recommended. I didn't have a suit prior to PT interviews, but I felt it was a good investment. I wore it to every interview I had and it can be used in the future for many occasions. I had it tailored as well. Good luck to you! 🙂
thanks a lot for the tips.
 
I'm wearing a skirt suit, but I'm a little worried. I realize this article is for med school applicants, but the last time I went to a health professional interview I wore what I considered nice clothing (a nice silk skirt, a white sheel and an Ann Taylor cardigan) and stood out like a sore thumb.

I look horrid in suits as I have odd proportions, so I made a jacket (I sew) similar to this one, except it's black and doesn't have the flower, but it turned out much more flared at the bottom than I expected. I showed it to a friend of mine who is an architect and thus works in a very professional atmosphere on a regular basis. She thought it was amazing and I shouldn't try to straighten it out but said I should make the skirt to have a matching flare at the bottom (hug my hip curve a little, then go straight with some flare at the end) to balance it out. Then I read the article and am a little worried if I'm making a faux pas by having the flares or if I should just go with straight lines which look ridiculous on a woman of my build.

I'm already wearing sensible close toed shoes instead of pumps because I just can't wear pointy shoes or heels of any kind (and you think they'd respect that in PT given how horrible they are for you). One interview said to wear shoes you can walk in specifically.
 
I think that you have three very basic components to a successful interview outfit:
1. Look professional
2. Be comfortable
3. Be confident
Most of the other women that I interviewed with wore pant suits, but not all. I actually wore a black dress with long sleeves that I thought looked very professional and it worked!

So don't worry about the flairs! I'm sure they will serve you well, especially if you feel more comfortable and confident with them included in your outfit.