What should my next move be? 3.1 Overall GPA

Started by saren99
Tags Tags
low gpa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

saren99

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am fourth-year biology major with an overall GPA of a 3.1. I am unsure of whether I should be applying to post-bac programs, masters, or retaking courses at community college and studying for my MCAT. Please tell me what you think is the best route. I honestly feel so stuck and my school's pre-med department isn't very helpful. Below I have attached my pre-requisite statistics:

Bio 1 = C
Bio 2 = B
Chem 1 = B-
Chem 2 = C+
Calculus = C-
Orgo 1 = C
Orgo 2 = C-
Physics 1= A
Physics 2 = A
 
Have you taken any upper level biology or chemistry classes?

Regardless, this track record outside of physics says there's something fundamentally wrong with the way you're studying, and retaking courses isn't going to help. My record looks like yours, I initially gave up and only decided to give it another shot years later with a post-bac. I don't think a post-bac would help you, you really need a good MCAT and an SMP, but first you've got to figure out why you're not doing well or you won't perform well on the MCAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have you taken any upper level biology or chemistry classes?

Regardless, this track record outside of physics says there's something fundamentally wrong with the way you're studying, and retaking courses isn't going to help. My record looks like yours, I initially gave up and only decided to give it another shot years later with a post-bac. I don't think a post-bac would help you, you really need a good MCAT and an SMP, but first, you've got to figure out why you're not doing well or you won't perform well on the MCAT.

Yes, I have taken some upper-level courses as well. I took all of my pre-med pre-requisites my first year and a half of college. Below are some of the stats of my upperclassmen science courses classes:

Human Physiology = B
Biochemistry = B-
Microbiology = B
A & P 1 = B
Cell Biology = A
General Physiology = A
 
I am fourth-year biology major with an overall GPA of a 3.1. I am unsure of whether I should be applying to post-bac programs, masters, or retaking courses at community college and studying for my MCAT. Please tell me what you think is the best route. I honestly feel so stuck and my school's pre-med department isn't very helpful. Below I have attached my pre-requisite statistics:

Bio 1 = C
Bio 2 = B
Chem 1 = B-
Chem 2 = C+
Calculus = C-
Orgo 1 = C
Orgo 2 = C-
Physics 1= A
Physics 2 = A

One of my friends who has an enviable handful of T10 IIs as of this writing did a customized postbacc at a community college to compensate for less than stellar grades so as long as your postbacc grades correlate with a great MCAT, I don’t see how you’d be out of the running for med school
 
You should probably take postbac classes. I only say that because your C- courses will not fulfill the prerequisite requirements and you will have to retake them anyway. Most schools require a minimum of a C in all prereqs. Don’t take more classes until you have the study skills to ace all of them though.
 
I am fourth-year biology major with an overall GPA of a 3.1. I am unsure of whether I should be applying to post-bac programs, masters, or retaking courses at community college and studying for my MCAT. Please tell me what you think is the best route. I honestly feel so stuck and my school's pre-med department isn't very helpful. Below I have attached my pre-requisite statistics:

Bio 1 = C
Bio 2 = B
Chem 1 = B-
Chem 2 = C+
Calculus = C-
Orgo 1 = C
Orgo 2 = C-
Physics 1= A
Physics 2 = A
the only courses you should retake are the C-'s
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention