Medical What should my reapplication timeline be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am planning for reapplication and would greatly appreciate any insight into whether it would be advisable to reapply in the 2021-2022 or 2022-2023 cycle.
I applied this current cycle (2019-2020) with a 3.55 cGPA, 3.60 sGPA (strong upward trend), 515 MCAT (130/128/129/128), 280 hours of clinical and 310 hours of nonclinical volunteering, 40 hours of shadowing, and 750 hours of research. I now realize that as a CA ORM with an academic IA from freshman year (spring of 2017), I made the mistake of applying too soon and without any attractive element to my app that highlights my growth or uniqueness.

Since submitting my app in May 2020, I've been working as a research assistant at a small biotech startup, continuing my hospital volunteering, and started 2 new volunteering activities as a kitchen volunteer at a homeless rescue mission and college preparation educator for juvenile inmates. I also have first-coauthor publication that is in the revision process, which my PI expects to be published in the next 6-8 months after we submit additional data.

My dilemma is that I am unsure of whether to apply this year in May or wait until 2022. Reapplying this year ensures that my MCAT, which I took in August 2019, will be valid for all schools. Reapplying next year means that although my MCAT will be valid at only about half of the schools (from the information on MSAR), I will have accumulated more new experiences and have a stronger app. I definitely want to cast a wide net and would prefer to reapply this cycle; however, I'm not sure if I will have made significant changes to my app that will make a difference.

This turned out to be a rather long post. Thank you for your time in reading it and I would greatly appreciate any advice!
As a Cali applicant it’s tough cause your in-state schools are super competitive. I would say reapply this upcoming year and include DO schools. I think your GpA is what’s holding you back.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your responses always.

And by GPA, you are referring to my cGPA correct? I was worried about this as well, although I hoped that my strong upward trend will help alleviate how bad it looks.

With regards to the new experiences I've started, do you think it will be enough to re-apply this year? I know this question has so many other variables to consider before answering, but I am unsure whether they would be enough knowing that reapplications are scrutinized further for improvements and new experiences.
Your app isn’t bad. Your ECs are good and your MCAT is good. I just think you got unlucky. The only thing that’s low is your gpa. What did your school list look like?

cGPA: 2.92, 3.72, 3.81, 3.80 (3.54)
sGPA: 2.68, 3.78, 3.93, 3.89 (3.60)

So to ask both of you, would it be advisable to reapply this year and not wait until 2022?
I would personally just reapply, make sure to have all your essays read by multiple people, and have a broadened school list (including a good list of DO schools). Take the money it costs to apply to the donations @Goro mentioned and use it to apply to schools in your GPA range.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:
Dartmouth
BU
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck
UCSF
EVMS
U Miami
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NYU.LI
Any DO program. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend ARCOM, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.