What should one look to get out of a fourth year externship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheVetVetVetVet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

A doctor has asked me what I want to get out of an 8 week small animal externship that I need to fill just prior to graduation. Other than knowing that I want to get lots of hands on doctoring and patient care, a few spay/neuters/minor surgeries, some ultrasound training, anyone have any suggestions of intelligent things to say/want??

I want to be a community practice small animal/dogs/cats veterinarian.

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

A doctor has asked me what I want to get out of an 8 week small animal externship that I need to fill just prior to graduation. Other than knowing that I want to get lots of hands on doctoring and patient care, a few spay/neuters/minor surgeries, some ultrasound training, anyone have any suggestions of intelligent things to say/want??

I want to be a community practice small animal/dogs/cats veterinarian.

THANKS!
watching VCP relationships and communications?

Client communication and record keeping (don't knock record keeping - it may be boring, but it is critically important). When I see new grads in practice, the two places I see them weakest are in talking with clients and in being efficient in their case management and record keeping. There's a lot of emphasis put on medicine and surgery in school, but you don't really have the ability in school to deal with clients - explaining options and plans and answering their questions. You could be terrific at treating medical problems or doing surgeries, but if you don't engender client confidence or if you don't explain things well to the client, all that good medicine and surgery is for naught.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good suggestions above. I'd add time management. Unlike the teaching hospital, you don't have all day to work up 1-3 cases. So learning how to juggle everything (writing up charts, calling owners, keeping up with incoming appointments, and not being so slow that you make your support staff late for lunch) is a skill that they don't teach you. You just have to sort of watch and pick it up as you gain experience.

It's also handy if you're familiar with drugs commonly used in SA private practice. You get a range of stuff at school from a relatively large and well stocked pharmacy, it can be a bit different depending on the clinic you're at.

I'm not sure if your clinic will do any house calls, but those are interesting to see. With SA community practice you might be in a situation where you euthanize a pet at home.