What Should The Next Step Be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sunmoon6689

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have posted in the forums several times, but I have never asked for this type of advice. I am curious as to what others in my position would do. (No, I am not asking anybody to make my decisions for me. I am simply looking towards the advice of others who have far more experience in the admissions process than I). I recently graduated with two bachelor degrees. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.4 and a science GPA of around 3.15 to 3.2. I am taking additional upper-division science courses in the Spring and Fall in order to prove that I am able to handle such coursework. I also have 30 credits that I took as a Running Start student in which I earned a 3.96 GPA. I believe that these courses will be combined with my undergraduate courses when I fill out my medical school application. Please correct me if I am wrong. I took the MCAT several years ago and received a 19. I know that this is a terrible score, but I did not study. I was not sure about my decision yet. I honestly believe that I was afraid to succeed. I was really scared about the next step (applying to med school) if I received a good MCAT score. I am beyond that now and will try much harder the next time around. I have already started studying. I am hoping to retake it in the Spring. My main question is: what would somebody in my position do to improve their app? Obviously, I am going to retake the MCAT. However, is my GPA so low that I should consider a graduate program to increase my chances of admission? I am interested in both MD and DO programs. I have absolutely no preference as I believe they are both fantastic. So, what would you do? Spend the money on a graduate program or focus on those undergraduate courses and apply at least once without the grad program? I have both volunteer and research experience. I have also been in quite a few Honors programs amongst other clubs at my unversity. Sorry about the long post. I just want people to have all the information necessary in order to give a well-educated opinion. Thanks!
 
I think it is pretty clear ... improve your MCAT. If you can get 28-32 on MCAT you will be competitive at DO and maybe even some MD schools.

19 is tough. I would focus on that before doing anything else.
 
Your GPA sounds fine..the MCAT is a far more valuble addition to your app. Study hard because a good MCAT score will offset your GPA (which is not all that bad) Good Luck!