What should you NOT be doing in clinical research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lblock209

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading through these forums has made it obvious to me that it's what you did during EC activities and not how long you did it for that matters. I've been told that volunteering in a clinical setting for 3 years means nothing if all you can tell an interviewer you did was stock blankets and run tubes down to the lab and stuff. So during my volunteering experiences I made sure to get as much patient contact/interaction as possible and also tried to shadow the doctors whenever I could if there was nothing going on. This way I'd have more stories to tell during an interview.

Now I'm starting clinical research for the first time at a local hospital. I was told this is fine, but to be able to say more during an interview than just "I did data entry and filing". Is this true? I have no previous research experience so I'm not very qualified, but I got the job anyway.

What SHOULD I be trying to do as a clinical research assistant that will give me interesting things to talk about during an interview?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No matter what your part of the project is, definitely know what the goals of the research are. The hypothesis, methods, possible implications, etc. Even if all you're doing is data entry, be as involved as possible and know what the purpose of your work is.

I think really everything that is asked of you is fair game. Except obviously things that require specific training your lack (physical exams?). I know people who interview, data mine charts, data mine databases. I personally just interview people. It just depends on what your project is and is somewhat also based on who you work with (old-school vs. younger PI).

I personally like interviewing patients, because its easy and you just talk to them and gain insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you trying to get out of clinical research? A research experience? Or a clinical experience? While clinical research sounds great in that you'll be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, in reality it's hard to do both (and relatively easy to get stuck doing neither, ie data entry).

What are you trying to get out of clinical research? A research experience? Or a clinical experience? While clinical research sounds great in that you'll be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, in reality it's hard to do both (and relatively easy to get stuck doing neither, ie data entry).
Just research experience. I have enough clinical experience already but zero research experience.

Clinical research is not a good place to start with research as you are likely to lack any of the clinical experience to pose a research question and lack the skills needed to design a study and analyse the data to answer the question.

I fear you are going to be stuck doing the clinical research experience equivalent of washing glassware and mixing solutions.

Like LizzyM said, you might end up doing the clinical equivalent of washing dishes.

The best thing you can do is understand what your PI and others working in your lab is doing. Even if you end up doing only a small (often repetitive) portion of the project, it is important that you understand the what, why and how of it. If you can talk about these aspects, I think you will be fine.

Clinical research is not a good place to start with research as you are likely to lack any of the clinical experience to pose a research question and lack the skills needed to design a study and analyse the data to answer the question.

I fear you are going to be stuck doing the clinical research experience equivalent of washing glassware and mixing solutions.

This unfortunately. :scared:

I was involved in clinical research (patient recruitment and interview) and it was a fantastic CLINICAL experience for me. I got to talk to all kinds of patients and work alongside hospital staff on our studies. However, it is very difficult to gain a more independent role in clinical research as an undergrad due to the nature and vulnerability of the participant pool. You should look for a research experience that will allow you to test your own question. If you're interested in working with people, psychology research is great for this.

My clinical research involves drawing blood samples, processing blood samples, taking patient histories, consenting patients for research studies, but nothing really in the area of helping develop hypotheses etc. What do you think of this?

Yeah. And it's not like you're going to get published. This isn't the best kind of research for you.

My clinical research involves drawing blood samples, processing blood samples, taking patient histories, consenting patients for research studies, but nothing really in the area of helping develop hypotheses etc. What do you think of this?

That's pretty strong on the clinical side, you've got some practical skills. Very good LOR material.

But it's not original research. Does your school have a senior research project?

This is one of those "neither fish nor fowl" situations. If the research subjects are not sick, then they aren't really even patients. Drawing blood, processing samples is an interesting skill and the interactions with subjects in setting them at ease, informing them and answering their questions before obtaining their consent to proceed, and collecting data from them, is intersting but it is hard to decide if it is clinical (because the subjects are not "patients") or research (because you have no role in study design or analysis). You may have developed useful skills and this may have sparked an interest in clinical research and you can play that up in your application but I would not suggest that this should substitute for "research" or for clinical exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
So is it possible to have a title of "clinical research assistant" and not be allowed to count it as a research experience because all you did was scut work?

So is it possible to have a title of "clinical research assistant" and not be allowed to count it as a research experience because all you did was scut work?

It's possible, sure. It's the 'assistant' that denotes scut work. But you can always try to demonstrate that you also understand what the purpose of the experiment was.

They want an intellectual exercise. I was asked about my research project at my interview. I hated my assigned capstone topic (sexual conflict) but made the most of it, my professor told me I had the most ambitious idea (results were inconclusive though). Anyway, I was able to give a concise and reasonably entertaining explanation of what I did and why. No relevance to medicine per se, but it went over well.

How well do you know the details of the clinical study?

Last edited:
no undergrad just shows up on day one and starts designing experiments/studies/analyses with no prior research experience...whether it is bench or clinical research. you gotta pay your dues and get your feet wet then you can play a bigger role. collecting data is a great way to get your foot in the door as long as you are proactive and show an interest in taking the next steps - helping to analyze the data you collected, helping write the abstract/paper. then once you have some experience you can have a larger role in the next project.

keep in mind that collecting data (data entry, chart reviews, etc) in clinical research is the equivalent of running experiments in a lab (since that's how you collect data) it is not washing dishes. I know it may not seem as hands on as running gels or using some machine 1000 times and recording the results but it is at the same level intellectually.

Reactions: 1 user
...bottom line: to get something meaningful out of any research experience you have to be in it for the long haul and you will have to start on the lowest rung and work your way up

...bottom line: to get something meaningful out of any research experience you have to be in it for the long haul and you will have to start on the lowest rung and work your way up
+1

This is absolutely true whether you're doing bench work or clinical research. It's rare to be allowed independence right from the beginning when you don't have any prior experience.

My perspective may be off because my undergrad was not associated with a hospital, but it's not clear to me that an undergrad can move up the totem pole in clinical research the way they can in basic science.

I currently work as a clinical researcher in emergency medicine at a well known children's hospital. I work full-time: 20 hours in the office devoted to data entry, study development, analysis, etc, and 20 hours in the ED working directly with the clinical staff enrolling patients for several different studies.
I also have the role of lead research coordinator on some of the studies, which means that I work directly with the physician on development, training/preparation, enrollment, analysis and even publication. The study topics range from mTBI, STI, suicide prevention, smoking cessation, child abuse screening, drug trials, implementing new decision tools for physician.. a lot of variety!
I really enjoy my job! I get to see and experience the day-to-day routine of the physicians and not just a snippet like shadowing provides. I would recommend a clinical research position that offers similar opportunities- emergency medicine is a great place to look!

EDIT: Just realized that you already have a position-- my advice is to be enthusiastic even if it's data entry! A small project of mine that was exclusively data entry led to a big project and a publication. Just work hard and the docs will take notice!

Last edited:
This is one of those "neither fish nor fowl" situations. If the research subjects are not sick, then they aren't really even patients. Drawing blood, processing samples is an interesting skill and the interactions with subjects in setting them at ease, informing them and answering their questions before obtaining their consent to proceed, and collecting data from them, is intersting but it is hard to decide if it is clinical (because the subjects are not "patients") or research (because you have no role in study design or analysis). You may have developed useful skills and this may have sparked an interest in clinical research and you can play that up in your application but I would not suggest that this should substitute for "research" or for clinical exposure.

oh they are all patients that come through the hospital for ablations and caths, basically all with severe heart disease or evals for transplants.

oh they are all patients that come through the hospital for ablations and caths, basically all with severe heart disease or evals for transplants.

Well, those are patients who are being recruited as subjects. If your work assignment doesn't require that you be present for procedures done by the cardiologists and/or surgeons, then try to get permission to shadow them on your own time to see that aspect of medical care/research. Also, become familiar with the literature that forms the background for the reseach you are doing so you can better place your work in context.

+1

This is absolutely true whether you're doing bench work or clinical research. It's rare to be allowed independence right from the beginning when you don't have any prior experience.

I was allowed to be in charge of two clinical trials with NO experience at all as well as other research projects. It was hell at first. But you get the hang of it pretty quick...because you have to!

One way to supplement the "assistant" type work you are doing could be to gain research knowledge through an educational program that provides these particular skills.

The University of Illinois at Chicago currently offers a fully online Clinical Research Methods (CRM) Certificate Program that is ideal for pre-doctoral students. It includes a series of five online courses that provide introduction to research methodology, evaluative methods, and statistical computing and data management.

The courses can be completed in 1-2 years (with a committment of 6-10 hours per week). Also, credits earned can later be used toward a Master's program if you decide that a future in academic medicine is for you.

Learning these skills now (in addition to gaining experience in a support role) could also enhance later applications for competetive residency and fellowship programs. You can find more info at www.clinicalresearch.uic.edu.

An applicant must meet one of the following minimum academic requirements to be considered for admission to the Clinical Research Methods online certificate program:

• A post-baccalaureate clinical graduate or professional degree; or
  • A baccalaureate degree from an accredited university or college with either concurrent enrollment in a clinical degree program or at least two years of clinical research work experience
Personally I think by the time you are able to apply to the certificate program you'll most likely be applying to medical school instead.