What SMP or post-bac programs should I be looking into (low GPA, high MCAT)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoenberg3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have received a 36Q (12PS-13VR-11BS) on the 5/19 MCAT but am stuck with currently 3.1-3.2 GPA, albeit at a top five institution. I am currently on my fifth year, working/researching/and taking CC classes and plan to go back to my home institution for a full year of full courseload to boost up my GPA further. I should end up with around 3.35 GPA by the time I apply and with a dramatic upward trend (3.1 on first 4 years, and 4.0 on last two years). Despite this, I understand that my chances are still not very good for any medical school particularly since I am a California resident and Asian male. My first four years are also plagued with acad. probation for not meeting units requirements.

Also I would like to note that I have well-focused set of extracurriculars (around 3-4 pubs in 2-3 different research projects; ample free clinic/shadowing/public health internship experience; and excellence in an instrument (competitive at national/intentional level) --- and many of these activities also share an overarching theme)

I am also starting to work on my personal statement, an entire year before they are to be sent.

My current plan is to applying very early and extremely broadly the next cycle (June 2013), while also having applied to SMP/post-bac programs earlier since I understand my chances of making to any med school is slim. Here is where I would like your help; which programs would be a best fit for my situation? I am ok with any geographical location as long as it will help my dire situation. I have been heard and been interested about programs that guarantee you a seat/interview in their med school if you perform well in the program. Are there also programs hosted by a higher-ranked medical school that -- provided I perform excellently -- could give me a fighting chance in gaining acceptance to that medical school? Of course, I understand also that in these situations, I would be reapplying the next next cycle (June 2014) -- or do some programs allow you to go straight into medical school (without another app year)?

Any guidance would be genuinely appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you've got a pretty good plan already. What gives you a (really good) fighting chance is your awesome, well-rounded MCAT. If you're set on applying to MD schools next summer and it doesn't pan out, get some feedback from admissions counselors. If they point to your GPA as the problem, have a few SMP's up your sleeve for 2014-2015. If you can get some quality advice BEFORE the start of next year and you decide that you really need an academic boost soon (beyond CC classes), get your personal statement in order and think about applying to SMP's this winter for 2013-2014. Your stats make you a good candidate.

Here's the caveat, which you have already alluded to: your high MCAT score will lose value as the years go by. If you're going the SMP route, make sure you apply to the one-year programs that offer fairly high linkage for those who perform well (Temple, Cincinnati, EVMS, Rosalind Franklin, etc.). Then, you won't really have to worry about re-taking the MCAT if you're accepted to the SMP. Most top-tier SMP's select students who they expect will not only perform well in their master's programs, but will also achieve as medical students. If you were to do a two-year SMP that required you to apply AFTER the program, then you'd be stuck with having to take the MCAT again, in which case anything less than a 36 would smudge your application. Don't take the MCAT again.

If you're seriously considering an SMP, take some time to sit down and think about all of the factors involved in such a choice (there are many; DrMidlife can introduce you to the nuances if you search her user name on most of the post-bacc threads).

Oh, and tread cautiously when you read "guaranteed interview." For some schools, this is little more than a smokescreen used to attract applicants. Actual acceptance numbers given by current or former students are much more useful. I would suggest reading the SDN forums scrupulously before moving forward.

Last edited: