What sort of "Clincal Experience"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supermintyfresh

MD C/O 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two years left to boost my GPA from 3.6 to a 3.8. My dream is to go to Columbia Medical School :) However, I know that getting Columbia's average MCAT Score (35) and having an average GPA (3.8) probably WILL NOT get me in. It's most definitely the LOTR, and the extracurricular.

My question is basically, what sort of extracurricular, and clinical experience, will make that application really outstanding? I've been looking for similar threads as well, but couldn't find any so any links will be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Find something that'll give you something to talk about at your interviews. It's not about how many hours or how many activities you do... it's about how well you can talk about your role and how much you enjoyed those activities. Adcoms (in general) are looking for applicants that can add something to their school. If you do what you think they want to see, but don't really care about it, it will show, and they won't want you.

Of all the parts of a successful medical school application, this is the part that is the least formulaic. Find something you are passionate about and commit yourself to it. Start a foundation, make a discovery, dedicate yourself to a cause - put in the time and effort and you're likely to find that meaningful activity you're looking for. Don't make the mistake of thinking anyone can tell you how you, supermintyfresh, can follow your passion. Get out there and seek it out for yourself. 1000 hours of clinical experience won't get you into top programs if you don't have the passion to back it up.

Find something that'll give you something to talk about at your interviews. It's not about how many hours or how many activities you do... it's about how well you can talk about your role and how much you enjoyed those activities. Adcoms (in general) are looking for applicants that can add something to their school. If you do what you think they want to see, but don't really care about it, it will show, and they won't want you.

Thanks! Right now I'm doing research into biomedical engineering, and shadowing a doctor at a major hospital so hopefully I will get something out of those two since I really enjoy them both :D.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of all the parts of a successful medical school application, this is the part that is the least formulaic. Find something you are passionate about and commit yourself to it. Start a foundation, make a discovery, dedicate yourself to a cause - put in the time and effort and you're likely to find that meaningful activity you're looking for. Don't make the mistake of thinking anyone can tell you how you, supermintyfresh, can follow your passion. Get out there and seek it out for yourself. 1000 hours of clinical experience won't get you into top programs if you don't have the passion to back it up.

Am I the only one who has absolutely no passion for any of this? I want to be a doctor. Not a philanthropist, a homeless shelter manager, or a community organizer.

Am I the only one who has absolutely no passion for any of this? I want to be a doctor. Not a philanthropist, a homeless shelter manager, or a community organizer.

Then you sir probably want to be a doctor for the wrong reasons and will find it a more difficult journey than others.

Then you sir probably want to be a doctor for the wrong reasons and will find it a more difficult journey than others.

I'm in it because medicine is interesting and it pays well. Unless doctors are somehow reduced to technicians who mindlessly follow algorithms, or salaries are cut in half, I won't be disappointed. Idealists, on the other hand...just ask a resident how quickly his starry-eyed idealism was stomped out.

Of all the parts of a successful medical school application, this is the part that is the least formulaic. Find something you are passionate about and commit yourself to it. Start a foundation, make a discovery, dedicate yourself to a cause - put in the time and effort and you're likely to find that meaningful activity you're looking for. Don't make the mistake of thinking anyone can tell you how you, supermintyfresh, can follow your passion. Get out there and seek it out for yourself. 1000 hours of clinical experience won't get you into top programs if you don't have the GPA and MCAT to back it up.

Fixed that for ya

Clinical experiences can come from a number of sources. Shadowing is definitely important, as it can prove your interest in and passion for medicine. It can also give you many different experiences with doctors and patients (good and bad) to talk about on your application and in interviews. The main point is what you get out of the experience, not the sheer number of hours you worked. This is why it's very important to find something you're passionate about and enjoy doing.

For a truly unique experience that will set you apart, consider going on a medical mission trip. This requires a lot of time, planning, fundraising, groundwork, etc. However, it can be extremely rewarding if done right.

Good luck with Columbia!

I'm in it because medicine is interesting and it pays well. Unless doctors are somehow reduced to technicians who mindlessly follow algorithms, or salaries are cut in half, I won't be disappointed. Idealists, on the other hand...just ask a resident how quickly his starry-eyed idealism was stomped out.
I've got some bad news for you...

No, but seriously, the biggest thing I've heard doctors complain about is how unstimulating their job is intellectually. It's not like (insert your favorite medical drama here) where every case is a puzzle waiting to be solved by a genius like you, it's virtually always cut and dry textbook cases that also come with equally standard treatments.

Also, if all you wanted was money, you should have just gone into business. Most MD specialties only make $250,000 a year or so. If you get lucky, like say you open a successful plastic surgery practice in Beverly Hills, you'll make about $1,000,000/year. Meanwhile $1,000,000/year is what the executives of medium-sized companies make, and there's no limit to that salary either. It's also worth noting that in the time it takes to become a full-fledged physician you could also have become one of said executives.

It's also worth noting that if universal healthcare ever passes in this country you can kiss your high salary goodbye. The government isn't going to pay the ridiculous prices hospitals like to charge for services (just look at how they run medicare/medicaid), and the hospital administration nor the drug companies and biotech companies are going to let that stand in the way of maintaining THEIR high profits and salaries when they can just slash physician salaries to poverty wages instead.

I've got some bad news for you...

No, but seriously, the biggest thing I've heard doctors complain about is how unstimulating their job is intellectually. It's not like (insert your favorite medical drama here) where every case is a puzzle waiting to be solved by a genius like you, it's virtually always cut and dry textbook cases that also come with equally standard treatments.

Also, if all you wanted was money, you should have just gone into business. Most MD specialties only make $250,000 a year or so. If you get lucky, like say you open a successful plastic surgery practice in Beverly Hills, you'll make about $1,000,000/year. Meanwhile $1,000,000/year is what the executives of medium-sized companies make, and there's no limit to that salary either. It's also worth noting that in the time it takes to become a full-fledged physician you could also have become one of said executives.

It's also worth noting that if universal healthcare ever passes in this country you can kiss your high salary goodbye. The government isn't going to pay the ridiculous prices hospitals like to charge for services (just look at how they run medicare/medicaid), and the hospital administration nor the drug companies and biotech companies are going to let that stand in the way of maintaining THEIR high profits and salaries when they can just slash physician salaries to poverty wages instead.

Medicine is largely algorithmic, I understand this. There are, however, parts of medicine that aren't formulaic.

For every person in business making $1 million/year, there are 1000 people who make $50,000 a year. Getting a 3.6 GPA and a 30 MCAT does not mean you have the skill, talent, ambition, luck, network, or personality to make anywhere near $1 million/year, let alone anything close to the salary of even a primary care physician.

Socialized medicine does not necessarily mean low wages. UK & Australian physicians both make good money. Private practice will still be an option even under socialized medicine.

Don't go EM...

But seriously, I agree. I actually enjoy some of my volunteering experiences, but that's not why I'm going into medicine, and no you don't have to love doing all that crap to be a successful doctor. Most of the doctors that I work with didn't have to jump through the same philanthropic hoops that we do, and they turned out just fine. They love their jobs and they're very good at them.

Medicine is largely algorithmic, I understand this. There are, however, parts of medicine that aren't formulaic.

For every person in business making $1 million/year, there are 1000 people who make $50,000 a year. Getting a 3.6 GPA and a 30 MCAT does not mean you have the skill, talent, ambition, luck, network, or personality to make anywhere near $1 million/year, let alone anything close to the salary of even a primary care physician.

Socialized medicine does not necessarily mean low wages. UK & Australian physicians both make good money. Private practice will still be an option even under socialized medicine.

Agreed!

In regards to a previous poster, a $1m salary as an executive in business sounds great, but I don't have the guts to compete in the fierce financial market. As a doctor, you are set on a path and can work diligently to earn a decent salary, while saving lives at the same time :) Which is something you can't do as an executive.

You don't have a single interest outside of medicine? You must not be so fun to talk to.

That's the point. You don't have to volunteer at a homeless shelter if it holds no interest for you. Go teach some kids how to rock climb, or become an EMT and volunteer at a local fire and rescue squad. There's plenty you can do that isn't the cookie cutter ECs that pre-meds think they have to have. You just have to have something beyond your academics to show that you're a somewhat interesting person. You should also do something (even if it's cookie cutter) to prove that you've considered the road to medicine and why you think it is a good fit for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could study abroad or go on some global health program, people are always interested in that kind of stuff.

Kinda branching off this -

If I do a ****load of research and volunteering do you think medical schools will overlook not being in any "leadership" positions?

Btw what exactly is a leadership position? That word gets thrown around here so often - is it an elected position? Or more a mentor position? Or like a tutor?

If I do a ****load of research and volunteering do you think medical schools will overlook not being in any "leadership" positions?

Btw what exactly is a leadership position? That word gets thrown around here so often - is it an elected position? Or more a mentor position? Or like a tutor?

Leadership is the organization of your peers (people of roughly your same age and station in life) to achieve a mutually agreed upon goal. If you were in Boy Scouts, you might have had the experience of being or working with a Patrol Leader. In college you might lead a group of students who operate the hospitality tents at alumni weekend, direct a group of alternate Spring break volunteers, or serve as a section leader or drum major for a marching band.

You don't have a single interest outside of medicine? You must not be so fun to talk to.

That's the point. You don't have to volunteer at a homeless shelter if it holds no interest for you. Go teach some kids how to rock climb, or become an EMT and volunteer at a local fire and rescue squad. There's plenty you can do that isn't the cookie cutter ECs that pre-meds think they have to have. You just have to have something beyond your academics to show that you're a somewhat interesting person. You should also do something (even if it's cookie cutter) to prove that you've considered the road to medicine and why you think it is a good fit for you.

Most of my hobbies aren't group activities. Those that could be group activities aren't group activities because I live in the middle of nowhere. There isn't a single rock climbing facility, an EMT course, or a homeless shelter within a couple hour drive of where I live.

I have two years left to boost my GPA from 3.6 to a 3.8. My dream is to go to Columbia Medical School :) However, I know that getting Columbia's average MCAT Score (35) and having an average GPA (3.8) probably WILL NOT get me in. It's most definitely the LOTR, and the extracurricular.

My question is basically, what sort of extracurricular, and clinical experience, will make that application really outstanding? I've been looking for similar threads as well, but couldn't find any so any links will be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Unless you're J.R.R. Tolkien or Elijah Wood, then no, it's probably not going to be the LOTR.

:thumbup:

Thanks!

you will need 200 hours of hospital volunteering and 50 hours of doctor shadowing

Anything that required you to use leadership skills. Usually a position with a college club as an officer is ideal.

But organizing events, fundraisers, etc... could also require leadership skills.