What sort of furthering education to support wife’s future private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Undes1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured I’d start here since my experience is only with Medical School.

My wife is currently MS2 MD at a Southeast school. I’m active duty in the Navy and wanted to know if you all had any idea about what sort of furthering education I should pursue?

Long story short, I’ve got a B.S. is exercise science. I’m not really interested in chasing a masters in the field. I’d rather work on education that would directly improve the career of my wife. We plan on going directly into private practice when she completes residency.

All I’ve really seen online is a masters in Public Health, or Medical Administration. Would an MBA help? Or like an EMT/EMS sort of thing? I know its a broad question but I’m seriously committed to supporting my wife’s career in private practice.

I’m in a unique position in the Navy right now where furthering education is highly encouraged and I’ll be able to have most of it covered by tuition assistance. Something is better than nothing in this case.

I’m open to any ideas! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MHA, MBA, MPH all will help if she’s just going to PP. what does she want to do as her speciality? Unless she ends up in some solo, or private practice friendly fields, whatever you do may not help.

I would say do something YOU like. You may resent your wife if things dont work out. Professional or personally.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured I’d start here since my experience is only with Medical School.

My wife is currently MS2 MD at a Southeast school. I’m active duty in the Navy and wanted to know if you all had any idea about what sort of furthering education I should pursue?

Long story short, I’ve got a B.S. is exercise science. I’m not really interested in chasing a masters in the field. I’d rather work on education that would directly improve the career of my wife. We plan on going directly into private practice when she completes residency.

All I’ve really seen online is a masters in Public Health, or Medical Administration. Would an MBA help? Or like an EMT/EMS sort of thing? I know its a broad question but I’m seriously committed to supporting my wife’s career in private practice.

I’m in a unique position in the Navy right now where furthering education is highly encouraged and I’ll be able to have most of it covered by tuition assistance. Something is better than nothing in this case.

I’m open to any ideas! Thanks!

You have six years minimum before your wife would have the opportunity to go into private practice (much longer if she is interested in a surgical specialty, fellowship, etc). Just get a job working in some other medical office-another degree isn't going to help since you won't need to resume-build to get the job. Are you trying to do her financials? Her billing? Her scheduling?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the plan was a solo PP out west. She is more or less undecided on specialty so far but we've both talked about how FM or IM might give us the lifestyle we're looking for in the future.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I shrug my shoulders thinking about a useful education path. The Navy is waving around a blank check for school but I have a pretty good idea on what we're looking for in the future and I'm not sure it really requires a master's in anything...

Yeah the plan was a solo PP out west. She is more or less undecided on specialty so far but we've both talked about how FM or IM might give us the lifestyle we're looking for in the future.

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I shrug my shoulders thinking about a useful education path. The Navy is waving around a blank check for school but I have a pretty good idea on what we're looking for in the future and I'm not sure it really requires a master's in anything...
I know we are mostly type-A planners, but regarding the bolded portion above: just remember that third-year can really change many things. Especially specialty decisions and future career plans. For example, what if she's super interested in surgical subspecialty or hates FM/IM, etc? Just my noise from the peanut gallery

Reactions: 1 user
MBA will be helpful if you want run/manage a solo practice or if she wants to join a super group or something. Can supplement with healthcare admin. This will make you beyond flexible and you’ll free her up to only do the admin stuff she wants to do if she chooses solo practice which, unless you plan super rural is probably not a headache you want.

Haha it's funny you mention over-planning. I consider my second favorite hobby planning out things. Vacations, build projects, financial projections, etc. But y'all are probably correct about MS3 and the clinical rotations and the possibility of having a drastically different path that originally planned.

I guess that is why I posted the question in the first place. I have this next year to make the most out of this educational opportunity. But to make the best decision for the educational program, I would also need to know what specialty she would choose. Maybe that's why I felt like canvassing the forum might yield some good ideas.

Thanks for the replies!

Haha it's funny you mention over-planning. I consider my second favorite hobby planning out things. Vacations, build projects, financial projections, etc. But y'all are probably correct about MS3 and the clinical rotations and the possibility of having a drastically different path that originally planned.

I guess that is why I posted the question in the first place. I have this next year to make the most out of this educational opportunity. But to make the best decision for the educational program, I would also need to know what specialty she would choose. Maybe that's why I felt like canvassing the forum might yield some good ideas.

Thanks for the replies!
Maybe see about some vocational/technical type education for now. Not that you want to make a career out of it but if you can learn how to work on your own cars of fix stuff around the house that will go a long way towards financial security in the future (assuming that is part of your equation). If you have an interest, then pursuing nursing might let you guys work together even if she doesn't go into private practice. Or some business classes just to get a better handle on accounting and things like that even if you don't do a degree program. Could even just do something fun for ****s and giggles like a beer or wine making just to take advantage of free education.

You can learn business on khanacademy. Do not burn money on a degree (unless you still have the GI bill, then go for an MBA)

You can learn business on khanacademy. Do not burn money on a degree (unless you still have the GI bill, then go for an MBA)

OP has stated that the military is offering opportunities for free education while he is serving (I assume tuition assistance...?). I second the MBA or health administration coursework. Another option since you stated a background in exercise could be nutrition science. It's a large (no pun intended) part of many chronic diseases and we generally don't receive enough education on it to properly advise patients.

Medical billing. Accounting. Nursing. Laboratory technology. Any of these would be useful in supporting a solo practice.

IT/System Administration, if you've got a tech bent - if you can get good at setting up small practices with their technology, then you can hire yourself out as support to other offices as well as support your wife's office.

Maybe see about some vocational/technical type education for now. Not that you want to make a career out of it but if you can learn how to work on your own cars of fix stuff around the house that will go a long way towards financial security in the future (assuming that is part of your equation). If you have an interest, then pursuing nursing might let you guys work together even if she doesn't go into private practice. Or some business classes just to get a better handle on accounting and things like that even if you don't do a degree program. Could even just do something fun for ****s and giggles like a beer or wine making just to take advantage of free education.
Its funny you hit a lot of my favorite hobbies. I’ve been home-brewing for awhile now and have been making my own beer for years. I was looking into starting bee-keeping as well in order to supplement the beer brewing, maybe even trying mead. And recently i picked up a new hobby, Kitplanes. I’m currently building a Private Plane piece by piece in my garage. I already completed the tail section and the Wings, should be starting the Fuselage next week!

Thanks everyone for the advice. My wife’s interested in neurology and is pretty committed to it at this point. As an over planner I’ve done tons of research and it seems like getting educated on medical billing might be the way forward. Neurology in private practice would almost certainly demand insurance reimbursement vs a DPC or cash only practice model like Psych or Fam Med.

Is this (Medical billing/reimbursement training) just a simple course? A certification? Or a formal degree? not even sure where to begin!

Its funny you hit a lot of my favorite hobbies. I’ve been home-brewing for awhile now and have been making my own beer for years. I was looking into starting bee-keeping as well in order to supplement the beer brewing, maybe even trying mead. And recently i picked up a new hobby, Kitplanes. I’m currently building a Private Plane piece by piece in my garage. I already completed the tail section and the Wings, should be starting the Fuselage next week!

Thanks everyone for the advice. My wife’s interested in neurology and is pretty committed to it at this point. As an over planner I’ve done tons of research and it seems like getting educated on medical billing might be the way forward. Neurology in private practice would almost certainly demand insurance reimbursement vs a DPC or cash only practice model like Psych or Fam Med.

Is this (Medical billing/reimbursement training) just a simple course? A certification? Or a formal degree? not even sure where to begin!
I think it is a certification course