What Sources would you use if you had 1 year prep time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ambogeo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had a year off for step 1 prep, what sources would you use for each subject? Say your basics weren't too strong, and wanted to score as high as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Boards and Beyond, if you have a year do it twice, annotate it into first aid. Use it for everything. That + UFAP and Sketchy is really all you need

Reactions: 1 user
I like B&B, ended up getting it in a sort of manic phase of spending way too much money on stuff I probably won't use (Firecracker is already $200 I'll never use and never see again). However, I think it's really only great for exactly what you described, annotating into FA. It does good on the name in that it truly goes "beyond" first aid and pure step resources. Otherwise, I'm not sold on it as a resource. He's really just one guy, and compared to a lot of more official resources out there (and completely unofficial resources, like anki decks with ripped images), he's extremely limited on graphics because he either doesn't have rights to them or can't make them himself. It ends up being a series of long, pictureless slide presentations. Also, he talks/covers material far too fast. I'm able to keep up with Sattar on blank pen and paper easily, but I get a headache from the constant stopping to catch up on notes with B&B.

Personally I think seeing diseases presented in a clinical format, as they are on the boards, works best for me. I do as many questions as possible and look up what I don't know, even if it's wrong answers I knew were wrong (but didn't know why). I get these from BRS, Lippincott's, Kaplan books, Robbin's Review, etc... all of which I found online for free.
Definitely understand where you're coming from! I think that B&B is a good place to start for people who don't have a great background understanding of things. I think he just does a good job of explaining the why for the bullet points in first aid. For me I used B&B to understand then used U-world to test my understanding and build on clinical knowledge. For me I didn't use any of the other resources you mentioned (except Pathoma of course!).

Ultimately, it depends on the poster's baseline. If he/she's scoring below 200 then B&B is worth a shot, if the person is at a baseline of 230+ already then he probably doesn't need it as much. Also the person has a year so this person as a lot of time to do it really slow once. I do believe it's better than DIT so for the price it's worth a shot IMO!