What Sparked Your Interest In Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Sparked Your Interest In Medicine?

• Total voters

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For me it was when I was 12 and first heard Doctors made a 6 figure income. If being a Doctor meant getting paid less than 6 figures my interest in Medicine would evaporate like water on a hot Summer's day. :D

But I also do like working with people and being my own boss.:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Augmenting breasts and impressing ladies :laugh:

Augmenting breasts and impressing ladies :laugh:
Of course. These plastic surgeons on the Discovery Channel are standing there, copping a feel on some 25-year old, saying "Oh, yeah, these are really nice. I'm really happy with how these turned out," and the girl is standing there beaming.

Well, I'm not really interested in plastics, but it was a funny poll choice.

I like the sound of the word augment.

"I'll have a Whopper combo good sir, and don't forget to augment it!"

Mmmm, augmentation.
-Dr. P.

P.S.: "Chicks, money, power and chicks." - Dr. Cox

P.P.S.: I beat you to it MirrorTodd. "Early bird gets the worm" High Five!

Of course. These plastic surgeons on the Discovery Channel are standing there, copping a feel on some 25-year old, saying "Oh, yeah, these are really nice. I'm really happy with how these turned out," and the girl is standing there beaming.

Well, I'm not really interested in plastics, but it was a funny poll choice.

You got to love Discovery Health.;) Also great show that chronicles the glamarious life of Plastic Surgeons called Dr.90210 on E http://www.drrobertrey.com/doctor-90210.htm. There's an espisode where this Doc is saying the exact same thing.

Lots of liars on here. The most popular answer is "volunteering at a hospital/clinic." Think about what that answer means. The question was "what sparked your interest in medicine?" So the people who chose that answer are saying that they weren't interested in medicine at all, decided out of the blue to volunteer at a hospital or clinic just for something to do, and only then began to think they might like to be a doctor. What a crock. Everybody knows that premeds volunteer at a hospital or clinic because it's a de facto requirement for med school admissions. The interest was already there when you started volunteering.

Did research as an undergrad, realized after a year and a half that a life of that would make me lonely. Worked in a law firm, didn't like law. Tried out business, didn't like it either. Did a career search for: intellectually challenging, requires grad school of some sort, get to make a difference, lots of contact with people, get to learn throughout life, high enough income to be reasonably well off, don't have to take orders, relatively little crappy administrative/paper- work.

Medicine was pretty much the only match. :p

I finagled a girl's breasts in public when I was a wee lad and decided that breast examinations were my calling. That is really what got me into medicine. That and pap smears. Oh yea.

To be the one to make the next generation suffer through the “turn your head and cough” experience that initiated us into the healthcare system so many years ago.

I was scared of sciences and had always fought having responsibility in my life hence I knew that being a doctor was not an option. BUt I kept hearing that nagging thing, the calling. I tried everything I could not to become a doctor but that damn voice kept getting loader and more convincing. I really didn't begin to listen to it until my senior year in college and when I was finishing my business degree ( I had chosen it 'cause I didn't know what I wanted to do and no matter what my profession I would have a pay check and need to know how to best manage funds=pragmatic but still confused).

Finally love of neuroscience thru my psych degree brought it down to research or medicine. A year of employment in reaserch after college at a medical let me know that I was not enthralled with the profession. But I was still scared of the responisbility of medicine and the difficult classes.

I began to cautiously investigate medicine more. The trigger for me
was when I sat in on a neuropathology dissection at the local hospital. I heard my first patient history and the emotional connection I felt with the patient was unreal. but she was dead and well that really only qualified me to be a mortician so I began to volunteer to see if I was capable of that same connection to a living breathing and complaining person... and the rest is history.

When you've got a direction and a purpose for learning the drive and motivation make the hardest O-chem class seem merely like speed bumbs rather than a full blown obstacle course. My GPA has improved drastically and I finally know where I'm going.

nothing in particular inspired me. from a young age, i wanted to be a doctor. the desire never went away. knew it was for me after working in a level I trauma ER.