What specialty are you in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Especially for those of us who will be 40+ by the time we finish medical school, I am very curious in knowing what my predecessors have chosen to specialize in. On one hand, the intellectual drive that has gotten us going may not be satisfied with just a primary care residency, but on the other hand anything more than a 3 yr residency may not be practical given our limited window of practice opportunity.

I'd be VERY interested in your comments.

Members don't see this ad.

TripleDegree said:
Especially for those of us who will be 40+ by the time we finish medical school, I am very curious in knowing what my predecessors have chosen to specialize in. On one hand, the intellectual drive that has gotten us going may not be satisfied with just a primary care residency, but on the other hand anything more than a 3 yr residency may not be practical given our limited window of practice opportunity.

Future pathologist here!

1Path said:
Future pathologist here!

Along the same lines, is it totally ridiculous for an old geezer to try to get into cardiology (7 years) or neurological surgery (7-8 years)?

Members don't see this ad :)
TripleDegree said:
Along the same lines, is it totally ridiculous for an old geezer to try to get into cardiology (7 years) or neurological surgery (7-8 years)?
Not to me but since my goal is MD/PhD, I may be the wrong person to ask! :laugh: I'll be about 47 when I'm done. :thumbup:

I plan on going into orthopaedic surgery. I'll be 41 or so when I'm done.

Right now I am not planning on primary care either gen surgery (with further specialization like colon/rectal..) or even doing internal med and doing a fellowship.

Hi there,
I am a General Surgery resident with plans to do a Vascular fellowship when I am done with GS residency. I am well over 50 and getting better every year. I also hold two law school acceptances currently too. Age is just a number.
njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
I am a General Surgery resident with plans to do a Vascular fellowship when I am done with GS residency. I am well over 50 and getting better every year. I also hold two law school acceptances currently too. Age is just a number.

You go girl :D :thumbup:

Maybe some of us old medical newbies can follow to the surgical arena.

njbmd said:
Hi there,

njbmd,

are you planning to go to law school after your residency? Or do you mean that you had been accepted to law schools in the past, but now are doing the vascular surgeon route?

Thanks,

Ice

ice_23 said:
njbmd,

are you planning to go to law school after your residency? Or do you mean that you had been accepted to law schools in the past, but now are doing the vascular surgeon route?

Thanks,

Ice

Hi there,
I wasn't planning on going to law school when I started residency. I became very interested in tort reform and healthcare policy issues as they relate to the practice of medicine. I had some past experience in helping to write legislation ( I am one of the authors of the Virginia Coastal Resources Management Act) and the interests have returned as I am very active in the AMA.

I took the LSAT and to my surprise, I scored fairly well so I applied to three schools, two of them in my state (Virginia). When I was invited for interview, I was totally blown away. When I got my acceptance letters, I found that I had some choices to make. I am still in the process of evaluating my options at present. I love surgery and I love Vascular surgery.

At some point I will make a decision but right now, I am a PGY-3 surgery resident with two acceptances to law school. It gives me all kinds of perspectives on my career paths.

I am 38, a PGY 2 & doing a double residency: primary - anesthesiology / secondary - leadership/preventive medicine & seriously considering (have actually applied to) a critical care med fellowship. If I do all three, I will be 43 upon completion & still running with the big & young dogs!

TripleDegree said:

There's a 50+ surgery 4th resident who posts here sometimes....She wants to do a vascular fellowship when finished. And maybe go to law school.

I plan on a 3-year residency: EM or IM. I want to be a physician, not a student :)

flighterdoc said:
There's a 50+ surgery 4th resident who posts here sometimes....She wants to do a vascular fellowship when finished. And maybe go to law school.

and she already has 2 posts on this short thread ;)