What stethoscope to buy as first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmind

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be starting first year at NYCOM, currently have a Littmann Lightweight II S.E. Stethoscope but the school recommends a stethoscope with dual-lumen tubing and this doesn't seem to have it. Plus, it's extremely cheap and I'm inclined to believe that there are significant acoustic differences between what most students are buying/using (Cardiology III, Master Cardiology), and this stethoscope. Have done a cursory browing of this board for stethoscopes and see that the Harvey Elite Stethoscope is a well regarded model. Price isn't a huge issue but obviously if I can get away with the stethoscope I have now for first year, I will stick with it.

Members don't see this ad.

I used a Littmann Master Classic for many years as a paramedic and loved it. I thought the same thing as you and upgraded to a Master Cardiology for my upcoming 1st year, but honestly I feel I can hear better with the Master Classic. Maybe I'm just used to it. I think sometimes the differences between the classes of stethoscopes are a bit overstated, especially if you stick to a good brand. I guess I'll really find out once we start listening to those heart sounds in school though...

Members don't see this ad :)
@OP

I have the 3M Littmann Master Classic II(on rotations right now) and its more than enough. I've used the Cardiology III before and I can't really tell the difference. I hear everything the same, although I really feel like I hear bowel sounds better with the II

i've used a bunch of different kinds, and my personal preference is the Puretone traditional stethoscope. for now i think what you have is good...you can try out a few different ones over the next year from your classmates and then purchase the one you think is the best.

What is the difference between 22 and 27"?

Supposedly the acoustics are better with the 22 inch (the Litmann Cardiology I, often considered one of (if not the) best stethoscopes ever made, was only a 22 inch and the shortened length was supposed to contribute to its superior performance by decreasing signal attenuation).

However, a 22 inch scope is going to make it difficult to do blood pressures (and leave your face uncomfortably close to the patient in some situations)...so I'd go with the 26 inch.

Haven't been at this for a while, but right now I feel as if the most important thing to me is well fitting, comfortable earpieces.

With that said, I have a Cardio III b/c it was gifted to my class. It's overkill, I know, and the adult/ped heads have screwed me more than once when I didn't realize I had the head twisted to the opposite side.

Cardiology III was the most popular one in my class.
My class was the same way. I personally bought the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite and I'm a fan. I doubt there is any real significant difference save for having a bell without a conversion.
Supposedly the acoustics are better with the 22 inch (the Litmann Cardiology I, often considered one of (if not the) best stethoscopes ever made, was only a 22 inch and the shortened length was supposed to contribute to its superior performance by decreasing signal attenuation).

However, a 22 inch scope is going to make it difficult to do blood pressures (and leave your face uncomfortably close to the patient in some situations)...so I'd go with the 26 inch.

That.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ummm ... just use whatever/the one that you get with all your "tools" at the beginning of the year.

my school is requiring an ophthalmoscope and an otoscope. I know nothing about them and the varieties they come in. anybody have suggestions on buying them?

my school is requiring an ophthalmoscope and an otoscope. I know nothing about them and the varieties they come in. anybody have suggestions on buying them?
Check with several upperclassmen at your school and find out just how much the school "requires" the instruments. They have the potential to be very expensive paperweights.

Yeah I never bought either and just borrowed a friends if I ever needed to. You will probably never use them so don't blow a ton of money on them.

1) You can probably use your classmates' scopes and/or use the ones on the wall during practicals.

2) If you're military, by all means purchase the most expensive scopes available as .gov will be paying for them.

3) If you're not and you still need a scope, consider these http://rabock.com/diagnostic_kits.htm . I had one of these sets and I thought it was pretty decent for the price.

before choosing a super expensive stethoscope....realize you're probably going to use only a few times during your first two years. Also, (a lot of health care providers told me this) you'll probably lose this first scope fairly quickly in your medical career (hospitals can get quite hectic for one reason or another). I didn't even realize I even dropped my scope during my practical till I left the building, had to go back and get it. that being said, I have a littman classic II, suits me just fine at a reasonable 70-80 dollars.

By NO means buy a pan-optic(looks like a mini old school super nintendo super scope..lol), just buy the traditional opthalmoscope/otoscope without many frills (still a few hundred bucks). The rechargeable lithium ion handle is also a waste of money, i bought one, always have to wonder if its charged (the handle will prob lose capacity over the years anyway like all batteries, lithium ion or not). Just get the handles that you put C or D batteries into. you're not going to be changing them as much as you think.

I've had a Littman Cardiology III since MSI (now through med school, residency, and a pediatric cardiology fellowship) and it has done well by me.

That said, I'd bet that a stethoscope like this one http://www.amazon.com/Omron-Sprague...ef=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1311180031&sr=1-1 would be just fine for the whole of medical school. http://www.forusdocs.com/reviews/Acoustic_Stethoscope_Review_page7.htm thiswas an intersting review of multiple stethoscopes. The Littman Cardiology II was the "winner", but the Omron Sprague-Rappaport Style was noted to have acoustics far exceeding its price (caveat: I've never listened through one of these). Through your training borrow other people's more expensive stethoscopes and see which one you like. If you're going to train in a field that a good stethoscope will come in handy, then it'll make a nice med school graduation present.

Don't buy an expensive otoscope or ophthalmoscope unless someone else is paying for it. Consider going on ebay and finding a pocket otoscope/ophthalmoscope if you really want one-at least in the future they can be useful if for nothing else than looking at your kids' ears when you think they've got an infection brewing. I also think you're just fine not getting one at all and sharing as others have stated.

I have a really nice ADC Cardiology stethoscope (the kind with the really thick tubing), and a lightweight Littmann IIe classic. I can tell you honestly that the sound is better with the cardiology scope. With it, I picked up a subtle murmur once or twice that someone else couldn't hear using their Classic IIe. Did it change anything? Not really. They were either going for or just had an echocardiogram anyway ;)
That being said, I stopped carrying the cardiology scope after my 3rd year of medical school. As an EM resident, it's more than I need. I prefer the Littmann Classic IIe because the sound is still good and it doesn't feel heavy around my neck like the other one. Also, the heavy duty one doesn't roll up nicely to fit in a whitecoat pocket like the Classic IIe does.

Bottom line- don't buy expensive equipment now. Once you start rotations you probably won't use it anyway. I've never seen a medical student or resident carrying around their own opthalmoscope or tuning forks or otoscope or sphygmomanometer or any of the other equipment they conned me into buying as a 1st semester med student haha.

The majority of my classmates at TCOM have all decided on buying the Littman Cardiology III.

i use a cardio3.

If you're into Neuro and doing a neuro rotation, etc... Then a Ophtho scope is worth having, as you will use it. Pan optics?... not so much, but occasionally we would grab one on rounds...

in all honesty though, i wish i wouldn't have bought most of the BS they made me buy in my first 2 years...

I have been an EMT for a few years and hands down the cardio III was the best. It has thick walls to prevent outside noise from disrupting lung sounds and pulses. Spend the bucks now...they last forever. It's been around for a while...my father used one...my mother used one...my sister uses one. Also has a really nice PED side.

I wouldn't invest too much. I have had 2 cardio 3s stolen since I started rotations last year. Giving away stethoscopes is expensive.

As for the oto/ophtho scopes, buy the cheapest thing you can find. I think I used mine about twice.

Oh, and one more thing. There absolutely must be kickbacks of some kind to the school for any kind of sales they have on this stuff. They never told us that we wouldn't likely use most of this stuff after 4th year. Or 2nd year, for that matter.

Last edited:
3) If you're not and you still need a scope, consider these http://rabock.com/diagnostic_kits.htm . I had one of these sets and I thought it was pretty decent for the price.

Whoa, we have a Welch Allyn representative coming out to take orders "at cost" on Monday, and I'm told by the upper classes that we need to get otoscopes and opthalmoscopes, as they're apparently not mounted on the walls in the rooms at school. The cheapest WA kit: $428.50. This site's: $87. Even if the quality's nowhere near as good on the cheap one, it'd be insane to buy the WA ones, right?

Whoa, we have a Welch Allyn representative coming out to take orders "at cost" on Monday, and I'm told by the upper classes that we need to get otoscopes and opthalmoscopes, as they're apparently not mounted on the walls in the rooms at school. The cheapest WA kit: $428.50. This site's: $87. Even if the quality's nowhere near as good on the cheap one, it'd be insane to buy the WA ones, right?

yep. you'll never use it.

I have been an EMT for a few years and hands down the cardio III was the best. It has thick walls to prevent outside noise from disrupting lung sounds and pulses. Spend the bucks now...they last forever. It's been around for a while...my father used one...my mother used one...my sister uses one. Also has a really nice PED side.
It is a nice stethoscope. I use one. But as the poster below you said, they're expensive to give away. I almost had a panic attack today when I left the unit without it around my neck. Luckily the distance from counter to door is 20 feet and I realized it soon enough. Eeek.

The majority of my classmates at TCOM have all decided on buying the Littman Cardiology III.

:thumbup:
All black edition or bust

Yeah I never bought either and just borrowed a friends if I ever needed to. You will probably never use them so don't blow a ton of money on them.

This is crazy to me, at tcom I use mine biweekly at the least.

This is crazy to me, at tcom I use mine biweekly at the least.

Yeah, I use my gear fairly often, at least two or three times per month.

Regarding quality, I just listened to some lung crackles a couple weeks ago with a Classic II SE and then again with a Cardiology III. The difference was pretty significant. They weren't nearly as clear with the cheaper stethoscope. A Cardiology III is definitely worth the extra money.

Another vote for Cardio III - very nice and works like a champ!

And the quality is indeed pretty decent. The only suggestion I'd make is to buy the kit that has the WA-style LED fiberoptic light source - the cheaper ones have bulbs of different sorts that burn out (and quicker than you'd think too).

Length, longer is obviously better

Actually, a lot of people say the 22" gives better sound. When you use the crappy contact precaution stethoscopes, you can cut them in half and hear a ton better.

For ophthalmoscopes and otoscopes, my father's ophtho practice has Welch Allyn as do most of the other local ophthalmologists, don't get the panoptic though.

Didn't think this thread would still be alive, but, FWIW, I stuck with my cheap-o Littmann Lightweight II SE and it takes BP's just fine :) Actually, if you get it directly over the sweet spot (brachial artery), the Korotkoff sounds are exceptionally clear. I haven't really tried any other stethoscopes, so yeah, it probably could be even better, but this does the job.

Last edited:
Didn't think this thread would still be alive, but, FWIW, I stuck with my cheap-o Littmann Lightweight II SE and it takes BP's just fine :) Actually, if you get it directly over the sweet spot (brachial artery), the Korotkoff sounds are exceptionally clear. I haven't really tried any other stethoscopes, so yeah, it probably could be even better, but this does the job.

Yeah, but most physicians aren't using their stethoscopes only for doing BPs;)

I used a Littmann Master Classic for many years as a paramedic and loved it. I thought the same thing as you and upgraded to a Master Cardiology for my upcoming 1st year, but honestly I feel I can hear better with the Master Classic.

Completely agree. And temporarily lost my litman this week, complete crappy world of difference using any other brand. I felt deaf dumb and blind.

Oh, and 100% get a dogtag with your name on it !