What summer research programs are you applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheesier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the applications are going to be opening soon, it seems like a good idea to get an idea of what summer research programs people are applying to. I have no idea how to decide which ones to apply to. How do you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

Try to find a project that genuinely interests you. If you actually care about what you're doing it won't feel like a chore and you'll probably get better results and an overall better experience. Also, try to find somewhere that will let you work on your own project...in the long run it'll be more beneficial.

I'm really into cancer research/oncology so I focused on programs at Comprehensive Cancer Centers. Univ. Colorado Denver has a really awesome program that I did last summer. Loved every minute of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't it make sense to NOT to mention the places to which we will be applying so there would be less applications?

Sorry to Hijack your thread, but are there any programs that will except nonscience (psych) majors with no experience? I don't except people to give me links, but should I even bother searching?

Wouldn't it make sense to NOT to mention the places to which we will be applying so there would be less applications?

probably. But I can't do the internship again this summer unless I don't get into a medical school. It runs into August. Some of the schools I applied to start in July, others not till August but I'll be moving to whichever state with my fiance so I won't be applying for the internship so I'll pass it along to the next generation of applicants :laugh:

Try looking at the National Institutes of Health website. They have a paid summer program for undergraduate students in pretty much any field you could possibly want. I did this for two summers, one working on cancer metastasis and the other doing brain imaging in bipolar patients

RANT WARNING!!!!!!!!
Summer research programs are a bunch of bull. You aren't in the lab long enough to make any kind of kind of contribution, so why bother?- oh yeah another line on the resume.Why dont any of you guys do anything for the sake of doing it and having a genuine interest in it? If you really want to get research experience, its much easier and much more of a real research experience if you just join a professor's lab at your school. It's not as hard as you guys think, hell i got recruited to a lab by a Gen Chem TA and have been working in the same lab for over a year now, with a publication under my belt. I worked all summer with one of these "researchers" and was amazed by what I heard from her regarding her blatant lack of interest in the project, and her totally misguided reasons for doing it. Oh, but thats right, it looks good on your app right? Do everyone a favor and and dont waste their time with this bs. Go do an ER internship over the summer- cuz that is what "interests" you, right?
RANT OVER

RANT WARNING!!!!!!!!
Summer research programs are a bunch of bull. You aren't in the lab long enough to make any kind of kind of contribution, so why bother?- oh yeah another line on the resume.Why dont any of you guys do anything for the sake of doing it and having a genuine interest in it? If you really want to get research experience, its much easier and much more of a real research experience if you just join a professor's lab at your school. It's not as hard as you guys think, hell i got recruited to a lab by a Gen Chem TA and have been working in the same lab for over a year now, with a publication under my belt. I worked all summer with one of these "researchers" and was amazed by what I heard from her regarding her blatant lack of interest in the project, and her totally misguided reasons for doing it. Oh, but thats right, it looks good on your app right? Do everyone a favor and and dont waste their time with this bs. Go do an ER internship over the summer- cuz that is what "interests" you, right?
RANT OVER

I'm working in a lab at my school. The PI wants all of the undergraduates (both premed and pre-PhD) in his lab to go to other labs over the summer so that they can get greater exposure to different areas of research.

Last edited: