What is the consensus on summer research programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hecropabel

Reaction score
Are they the best way to network with schools outside of your state of residence, or should they be taken at face-value for the pure scholarly benefit you might obtain from having a poster and research experience once the program is done.

Right now, weighing my options on what to do this summer; my goal is to go to a >T20, and was wondering whether a summer research program is a good way to network and obviously strengthen the research part of an application.

Members don't see this ad.

Strong applicants tend to have some research. Summer research programs won't help unless you have the stats.

The better question is -- do you have something else more worthwhile to do for the summer?
Not particularly tbh, I quit my job as a RN because I honestly don’t like it very much. When you say stats, you mean like GPA and MCAT; obviously I won’t know until I take it. Just wondering whether that’s something worthwhile to do this summer.

Are they the best way to network with schools outside of your state of residence, or should they be taken at face-value for the pure scholarly benefit you might obtain from having a poster and research experience once the program is done.
It puts you in a better opportunity to network. It is a better way to get the scoop on living in the area devoid of the marketing that we give you with admissions pitches. You need to make the most of the chance. No guarantees for medical school admissions but a few faculty members may notice if you have gone to another medical school for research and could push your file higher.