What suturing technique do you use to close the skin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feet2017

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've see the skin closed with mostly interrupted simple or horizontal mattress sutures with nylon or prolene, but I was wondering how do you guys close skin? why don't more podiatrist do running subcuticulars and bury the knots instead of leaving two tails when they do use monocryl to do running subcuticulars?

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Toes: 3-0 vicryl extensor tendon repair, 4-0 prolene horizontal
Bunions and elective recon: 2-0 or 3-0 monocryl capsule/periosteum depending on where I am in the foot, 4-0 monocryl subQ, 4-0 monocryl running subcuticular. I tie my knots outside the incision as I am concerned about the suture spitting if I bury them. Having a palpable knot of reactive suture underneath dorsal foot skin is really annoying for patients.
Trauma: 2-0 monocryl deep, 3-0 monocryl subQ, 3-0 prolene horizontal. Staples between sutures if needed.
Limb Salvage: No deep sutures. 2-0 or 3-0 prolene verticals, depending on location. Staples between sutures.

Reactions: 2 users
3-0 Vicryl, 4-0 Nylon in running horizontal mattress for 1st MPJ stuff and ankles, running interlocking for toes, Algower-donati for calcaneal, if I use monocryl I never bury the knots, always leave them out so I can pull them later. Too many people have had suture reactions with the buried for me to feel comfortable with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Stapler

Reactions: 1 users