What TBR Physics Sections are the Highest Yield?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPA

PA-C
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reviewing TBR Physics 1 and 2 right now and I am wondering the highest yield topics for the new MCAT are?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally speaking, the Fluids and Fluid Dynamics is the "must read" section. This is both because of it being a high yield topic (fluid dynamics applies to cardio) and that chapter has great summaries, analogies, and shortcut equations. Doing that chapter and learning the tricks will make all fluids questions easy.

After that, as far as applications to the MCAT go, the chapters with waves are critical (end of chapter 4, and 8-10). There are some useful shortcut equations in the optics chapter that should make the hardest lens or mirror question double in about 15 to 20 seconds.

After that would have to be the electromagnetism chapter, and that is based on the large number of topics in the AAMC list that fit in that chapter. In addition to physics, there is a little biochemistry (electrophoresis) in that section.

I personally love the shortcuts for calculations in the first chapter, but would not necessarily say that material is high yield.

If you're doing last minute cramming during your last week before the MCAT, you should focus on chapters 5-10.

Reactions: 8 users
Generally speaking, the Fluids and Fluid Dynamics is the "must read" section. This is both because of it being a high yield topic (fluid dynamics applies to cardio) and that chapter has great summaries, analogies, and shortcut equations. Doing that chapter and learning the tricks will make all fluids questions easy.

After that, as far as applications to the MCAT go, the chapters with waves are critical (end of chapter 4, and 8-10). There are some useful shortcut equations in the optics chapter that should make the hardest lens or mirror question double in about 15 to 20 seconds.

After that would have to be the electromagnetism chapter, and that is based on the large number of topics in the AAMC list that fit in that chapter. In addition to physics, there is a little biochemistry (electrophoresis) in that section.

I personally love the shortcuts for calculations in the first chapter, but would not necessarily say that material is high yield.

If you're doing last minute cramming during your last week before the MCAT, you should focus on chapters 5-10.

Would you mind sharing a summary of your opinon of the high yield content for the bio books, ochem books, and gen chem books as well? Thanks so much for your time!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
TBR Physics Books aren't easy. I have a decent mathematical/physics related background and I still find these passages very challenging. No wonder many people give up on TBR physics.

Reactions: 1 user