What the F***!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FYI Meharry does not have a separate residency program. Most of the students do their third and fourth year clerkships at Vanderbilt University Hospital. Morehouse has an internal medicine residency and last time I checked they have mostly FMG's in their program. Also, they do most of their rotations combined with Emory's program.

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of finding another field, can anyone here think of another field where you can pay down the kind of debts that you incur in DO school?

I'm not saying that y'all aren't right that he shouldn't be practicing medicine, I'm just saying that if I was in his shoes I wouldn't see a practical way to follow that advice. I mentioned earlier that I thought maybe a program like Meherry or Morehouse (if their residencies are like their medical schools) might be good for him because it would take away the excuse of rasicm and force him to take responsibility for his own actions. In any event, I'm just not seeing how quitting would be an option here.

Perrot, please read my post in its entirety.

He's a surgeon. His experience has been that DO students are weak in surgery. I think that was pretty self-explanatory in his post.

Uh, your paraphrase has a bit of spin to it. What he said was his experience of a student who did a DO residency appeared weak. I don't believe he was commenting on DO's in general as you appear to be spinning it. I'm thinking it was more of a criticism of the DO residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
He's a surgeon. His experience has been that DO students are weak in surgery. I think that was pretty self-explanatory in his post.
Read it again. It was a DO surgical resident. His slam seemed to be against DO surgical residencies, not DOs.

Wow that's some attitude from nowhere when all I was doing was asking for some clarification about his experience. I was asking that he explain why he has this opinion of DO surgeons.

What I didn't ask for was your self-righteous attitude, nor was the impetus on you to insult my intelligence.

Wow that's some attitude from nowhere when all I was doing was asking for some clarification about his experience. I was asking that he explain why he has this opinion of DO surgeons.

What I didn't ask for was your self-righteous attitude, nor was the impetus on you to insult my intelligence.

First, I'm not a surgeon (don't want to misrepresent myself).

Second, my experience with DO surgery graduates is an N of 2. Without going into specifics, which I cannot do for good reason, neither would ever be allowed to operate on my family members, enemies or farm animals.

You are right, at least in this thread. I got confused about which thread I was in.

See here for his feelings on DO students:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7540194#post7540194

I'm not a DO basher, but experience and stats do carry some weight. DO's in general, this is not a point up for debate have lower MCAT scores, lower GPA's and go to schools with more marginal facilities, and academic relationships.

Many of these schools have no affiliations with University hospitals and farm their students out across the nation. There is a tremendous difference between let's say PCOM and LECOM. I don't think DO's would argue this. DO schools have their own certifying standards. Is the COMLEX equivalent to Step I, II, III? I don't honestly know but I worry when some DO schools are for profit cottage businesses engaged in training physicians while maintaining a seperate certifying schema.

Some of the best and worst physicians I have worked with have been DO's. All I am saying is that the bottom half of DO's schools is dramatically worse than the bottom half of MD schools. The top 10% are probably pretty comparable. My experience (take if or leave it) is that many DO grads come out disadvantaged from an utter lack of preparation.

This is not a value statement about DO's but a reality check. I don't imply MD = good, DO = bad. Many in America think everyone should be able to be whatever they want to be a bit of the "Rudy" phenomena. Reality is however a bit of a bitter wakeup call.

is the OP DO or MD?

Boy, those DO students do get touchy, don't they?

Good thing you have the Osteo forum to reinflate your ego.

I post in Osteo usually once or twice per month.

At any rate, it wasn't what was said it was how you said it that irritated me. Read back over what you said. I don't mean to be a bitch, but you were pretty condescending and that's my achilles heel.

How so?

I already know the difference, but I am curious to see how non-DOs view the differences?

Me too, that is what I was getting at. I appreciate the honest answer from a1qwerty even in the face of my frustration, but he still hasn't answered how they are underprepared. Is it intelligence, preparation, work ethic...?

First, I'm not a surgeon (don't want to misrepresent myself).

Second, my experience with DO surgery graduates is an N of 2. Without going into specifics, which I cannot do for good reason, neither would ever be allowed to operate on my family members, enemies or farm animals.

Oops missed this post :laugh: Still, is there any way that you could give generalities about DO students you've worked with in terms of where you think their abilities are either satisfactory, excellent, or not up-to-snuff? I am confident that my education from PCOM is excellent, but I am always looking for areas that may be cause for concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops missed this post :laugh: Still, is there any way that you could give generalities about DO students you've worked with in terms of where you think their abilities are either satisfactory, excellent, or not up-to-snuff? I am confident that my education from PCOM is excellent, but I am always looking for areas that may be cause for concern.
I don't want to get into this school is good versus bad, but in broad generalities. The PCOM grads seem ready to perform and in my experience do the best. I can't keep all the names of the schools straight but suffice it to say, the grads from the newer schools, are dramatically less well prepared. I mean we have to go into remedial mode on day one. I only throw this out there so that those graduating from one of the newer schools rebouble their efforts as they may be prepared to fail and be totally unaware. As with any job, the person who shows up a bit scared and ready to work extra hard does well whereas those who think they have it all figured out end up stepping on it. I have no issue with DO's overall. and frankly if it were not for the DO's. Military medicine would be in far worse shape that it is now.

As a DO I agree, a lot of the word of mouth on the newest schools (established after 2000 esp) is that they are not putting out stellar grads. In the hundred+ history of the profession, "new" may be somewhat relative-established in the 70's/early 80's is "new", but I think that a good few of them are putting out better product.
BTW there is only one for-profit med school right now and I think most of the rank-and-file of the profession hop it stays that way (and wish there wasn't even one).
I am curious however, what the impetus for the discussion of DOs in this thread was to begin with. Since the OP failed steps one and two of the USMLE and "barley [sic]" passed them on the second tries, and never mentioned COMLEX, I feel pretty comfortable inferring that he is an MD grad. The original post mentioneing the subject of DOs seems to be a randomly attached thought of "this guy [OP] is an idiot...that reminds me of two DOs I worked with..." I can see how some might get a little testy about that string of thought. My own experience has been that the worst medical school products I've worked with were USUHS folk; not all bad, in fact the good ones are very good and are some of the best; but the widest dichotomy in quality and greater number of "bad" ones. As luck would have it many of the exceptional physicians I've worked with were DOs and far, far more of the merely adequate physicians I worked with were MDs. What to make of that? Meh, not much. It's hard to generalize one person's experience to the ~60,000 DOs out there without thinking of things like sampling error. I'm sure there's a statistical term (that I don't know), but I think there is an "error" in ascribing characteristics too definitively to a group, based on experiences with a-relative-few members when they belong to a group that is "other". Why if I live next to 3 black families and most of the kids are hoodlums and I don't think much of their parents there might be a propensity for me to egneralize that experience to all black people. Or if I've worked with 45 DOs and my experience with was that there was a significant percentage of that 45 that were sub-par, then that percentage must reflect the whole. I'm not saying that the osteopathic professions doesn't have its concerns (I actually particularly share the concern that there is an impetus for DO schools to not establish true affilliated training institutions to many a student's detriment [unrelated sub-thought: at last analysis, MCAT scores were trending upward in DO applicants]) but I think when plural anecdote being presented as evidence based only on...well I'm not sure what that is based on here; even "subject matter expertise" can create problems with "data" (some poor studies are published just because some subject big-with is a co-author). So I respectfully submit that while you may be a standup guy and a leader in your field, I don't think I'm going to put too much into it--nor will I get my panties in a twist about it.
And, as for a thought about the original subject: I wonder how this dude, whom I doubt any residency in the country would want to take a chance on (even the barrel scraping ones) is feeding his two kids while he wastes time on observerships instead ofthinking of an alternate way to actually have a sustainable career?

"In my world people are ponies, they eat rainbows, and poop butterflies...ahhhh"

GET IT RIGHT J-RAD!

katie.jpg

Duly noted. I almost want to make some comment about the OP and this picture, but I'm sure it would be a violation of the TOS:D

I am curious however, what the impetus for the discussion of DOs in this thread was to begin with. Since the OP failed steps one and two of the USMLE and "barley [sic]" passed them on the second tries, and never mentioned COMLEX, I feel pretty comfortable inferring that he is an MD grad. The original post mentioneing the subject of DOs seems to be a randomly attached thought of "this guy [OP] is an idiot...that reminds me of two DOs I worked with..." I can see how some might get a little testy about that string of thought.
The OP was in a DO residency, I have no clue if he is an MD or a DO, either way it doesn't matter. I made a comment about DO residencies, the DO's took offense, then we moved on to DO schools in general.

The OP was in a DO residency, I have no clue if he is an MD or a DO, either way it doesn't matter. I made a comment about DO residencies, the DO's took offense, then we moved on to DO schools in general.

Forgive me, but he was? He went to a residency where he was "one of two American medical grads". DO residencies don't take FMGs. It may have had dual accreditation, but those are almost always ACGME programs that want to bring in more AMGs by getting DO residents so they seek dual accreditation. No offense taken, just pointing out the, somewhat, randomness of your commentary.

If you think the OP is a DO, I think you're betraying some inborn prejudice here, a1qwerty.

I think most read the OP to be an MD. He talks repeatedly about his taking the Step 1, 2 and having to take Step 3. He never mentioned his COMLEX (do DOs even take Step 2? I've heard Step 1 is optional for them, depending on residency porgrams) I wouldn't expect him to constantly hash/rehash optional tests while never mentioning his performance on the one required by his medical school.

If you think the OP is a DO, I think you're betraying some inborn prejudice here, a1qwerty.

I think most read the OP to be an MD. He talks repeatedly about his taking the Step 1, 2 and having to take Step 3. He never mentioned his COMLEX (do DOs even take Step 2? I've heard Step 1 is optional for them, depending on residency porgrams) I wouldn't expect him to constantly hash/rehash optional tests while never mentioning his performance on the one required by his medical school.
Sorry to derail the thread. I went back and reviewed it and can't find anything that mentions a DO residency. I'm thought there was some mention by the OP. Anyway, my mistake. I definitely have some baseline distrust of graduates of some DO schools, I'm not sure this rises to th e level of prejudice.

There's another thread around that details someone getting kicked out of a DO ER residency after an HPSP scholarship. Some wires are crossed.

Sorry to derail the thread. I went back and reviewed it and can't find anything that mentions a DO residency. I'm thought there was some mention by the OP. Anyway, my mistake.
There's a bunch of similar threads out there. I've made exactly the same mistake. More than once.