what the heck am i doing so wrong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

shamthis

albany dinger post-interview

that makes 0 acceptances after 6 interviews
i have 7 more post-interview chances...

do i have a 3rd eye or something? christ.

Members don't see this ad.

Relax Shamthis...you have about 5 more months to go before pulling your hair out. Most people get accepted after January.......just relax.

well, what do you think you're doing wrong? six interviews and no acceptances is somewhat peculiar. do you have problems conveying your thoughts in your interviews? maybe you're just really tense- the best advice i've heard is that you should pretend to be having a conversation with a good friend... relax, be smooth- and you should be fine. you still have more interviews. so, good luck dude-
peter

Members don't see this ad :)
did you get six rejections post interview or you just havent heard? What schools reject post interview so quickly?

Originally posted by shamthis
albany dinger post-interview

that makes 0 acceptances after 6 interviews
i have 7 more post-interview chances...

do i have a 3rd eye or something? christ.

Well... were you waitlisted or rejected? If all were rejections... that might be a bad sign. But if you got waitlisted a lot, then I'd say... that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Good luck with the rest :)

hey sham this-

do you know your current events.. issues on health care and do you have stances on ethical stances?
have you read any 'medical books' to incorporate yourself with some of the stories behind the scenes... stuff that would familiarize yourself with the lifestyle of medicine?

Michigan premed sent us all a list of 'recommended books' to read in the various areas that we might expect some interview questions.

Also what's your personality like? Are you outgoing? Are you shy? you're asking us what's wrong- but tell us first what YOU think you are doing wrong? (if indeed you are)
you know what questions you ask , you know if you are comfortable or not, you know how you are interacting with the doctors... what's your take on it?

Wexy, 6 interviews includes Albany's and 5 last year.

RP, of the 6 I received 4 waitlists and 2 rejections.

BushBaby, sorry for rubbing you the wrong way.

Peter- thanks for thw wishes. Believe it or not (and this is easy to say I'm sure) I do relax during my interviews. I think I have a hard time conveying my thoughts and I also think there might be a little unintended arrogance- a "chip on my shoulder" per se- that creeps into my presentation.

I truly have no idea what's going on. If I'm so socially awkward a) wouldn't I know it? and b) whouldn't somebody- a colleague, interviewer, girlfriend, guy friend, family say something?

Yucky poo.

Originally posted by laviddee
hey sham this-

do you know your current events.. issues on health care and do you have stances on ethical stances?
have you read any 'medical books' to incorporate yourself with some of the stories behind the scenes... stuff that would familiarize yourself with the lifestyle of medicine?

Michigan premed sent us all a list of 'recommended books' to read in the various areas that we might expect some interview questions.

Also what's your personality like? Are you outgoing? Are you shy? you're asking us what's wrong- but tell us first what YOU think you are doing wrong? (if indeed you are)
you know what questions you ask , you know if you are comfortable or not, you know how you are interacting with the doctors... what's your take on it?

To go along these same lines: Are you acting interested in the schools? Are you asking your interviewers intelligent questions that shows you are thinking seriously how you would fit into a particular school?

Interviews are as much for you as them and you should be acting as if you want to know every little thing about the school.

Solid and Laviddee, I hope I addressed your question in the last post.

But even if I was the worst person in the world: totally indifferent, complacent, fat, ugly, zitty, Saddam Hussein, bin Laden, you name it...6 interviews 0 acceptances is just plain cruel.

I make a special effort to convey interest, compassion, curiosity and be articulate.

Sorry to hear this Shamthis. Did Albany reject you or waitlist you??

i actually know a current third-year med student at nyu who interviewed at 10 schools. nyu was the only school that accepted him, off the waitlist no less.

Solid and Laviddee, I hope I addressed your question in the last post.

But even if I was the worst person in the world: totally indifferent, complacent, fat, ugly, zitty, Saddam Hussein, bin Laden, you name it...6 interviews 0 acceptances is just plain cruel.

I make a special effort to convey interest, compassion, curiosity and be articulate.

Wexy, 6 interviews includes Albany's and 5 last year.

RP, of the 6 I received 4 waitlists and 2 rejections.

I also think there might be a little unintended arrogance- a "chip on my shoulder" per se- that creeps into my presentation.
Sham, just saying this constructively, so please don't let it upset you. If you know yourself that arrogance is the issue--bingo! How @ trying an experiment w/ your next interview--just go in there & be as humble as Mother Theresa, & see what happens. Just try your best to do that & I think it'll help.

Btw, if you said that the 5 interviews were from last year, then don't let those weigh you down--don't look back. Just focus on interviews this year. We'll be rooting (sp?) for ya!! :)

How about practicing your interviewing skills by doing some mock interviews with your premed advisor or at the career development center at your undergrad. In many cases they will actually videotape it so you could see on your own how you do and the feedback they can give you should help you with anything you might be doing and not know about it.

As far as arrogance goes, Nefertari may have a point, but after 6 interviews, I don't know how arrogance can show itself. Don't take it as a knock on you, I'm in a similar situation as you as a reapplicant.

you say you come off slightly arrogant... i imagine you smoking a cigar- ashing on the floor and just not giving a funk. try to be a little more reverent of the people interviewing you, even if you could give a rat's arse about who they are. remember, THEY'RE the only thing really differentiating an acceptance/waitlist/rejection once you get an interview. give them some respect.. i would also suggest practicing with a friend and tell them to be honest. if you come off a little too smug, tone it down- that can be misconstrued as 'i'm better than you...you little sack of monkey dung.' good luck-
peter

:( sorry to hear this shammy.

perhaps you are not making enough eye contact. Perhaps your stats are borderline and they aren't seeing that "one special, unique quality" on your application? Perhaps they threw you some curve balls and you changed your stance instead of defending your earlier stance (that has rejected people right off).

6 interviews and 0 acceptance is really cruel. If it makes you feel any better, I don't have a single interview and 8 rejections. I want you to get in this time around, so please keep me posted.

Pray a little from the bottom of your heart. It can work miracles.

Tweetie

Thanks everyone. It was not flat out...it was a waitlist (just as bad to me- I had 3 last year and look at me now); "under consideration" they call it.

I just got word from my buddy (a prankster, no less) that prior to every interview he taped a half-piece of paper "Reject ME!!!" to the back of my suit.

Thanks for the moral, realistic, insightful, and religious support.

What I've learned:
1. Be Mother Theresa.
2. No more mama jokes.
3. Stop smoking cigars during interviews.
4. Remove the dollar-sign tattoo from forehead.
5. Wear a tie.
6. Look the guy in the eyes to the point of awkwardness. Do not relent. Let him look away first. Be the ALPHA male.
7. Do not be the alpha male.
8. No, wait.
9. Be a reserved alpha male, with a hint of Theresa.
10. GET IN!!!!!!

Thanks.

maybe i'm misunderstanding, but you only got 1 rejection post interview this cycle right? (the other 5 were from last year) chin up dude, lots of chances in the future

Hey Shamthis,
solid gold really has a point. Have you done a mock interview with your pre-med advisor? many colleges offer the taping opportunities and feedback from the advisor to review what was good, bad etc etc, from dress to posture to general interview style.
Have you done this? Maybe you could assess those things that are your best qualities and what you may want to change.
chloe

Originally posted by SolidGold
How about practicing your interviewing skills by doing some mock interviews with your premed advisor or at the career development center at your undergrad. In many cases they will actually videotape it so you could see on your own how you do and the feedback they can give you should help you with anything you might be doing and not know about it.

As far as arrogance goes, Nefertari may have a point, but after 6 interviews, I don't know how arrogance can show itself. Don't take it as a knock on you, I'm in a similar situation as you as a reapplicant.

:rolleyes:
the videotape would help you assess the way you come off with tone and attitude

Seems to be a real issue with some SDNers, since they don't even realize it

:rolleyes:

I'm doing everything I can. Thanks again everyone.

I just got word from my buddy (a prankster, no less) that prior to every interview he taped a half-piece of paper "Reject ME!!!" to the back of my suit.

Thanks for the moral, realistic, insightful, and religious support.

What I've learned:
1. Be Mother Theresa.
2. No more mama jokes.
3. Stop smoking cigars during interviews.
4. Remove the dollar-sign tattoo from forehead.
5. Wear a tie.
6. Look the guy in the eyes to the point of awkwardness. Do not relent. Let him look away first. Be the ALPHA male.
7. Do not be the alpha male.
8. No, wait.
9. Be a reserved alpha male, with a hint of Theresa.
10. GET IN!!!!!!

Thanks.
:laugh: Hey, at least you can still laugh @ yourself--that's a good sign! Just let your sense of humor come thru in your interviews & you'll do fine--it might even take the "edge" off that "shoulder chip". As I've said before, this process comes w/ a built-in lesson in humility.

Also, from hearing @ reapplicants--seems they fare pretty well if they've made some improvements to their app. They must get extra credit for persistence.