what the hell's the deal with "columbia p&s"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josehernandez94

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why does nearly everyone feel that it's necessary to include the P&S when discussing Columbia?? It's not like we're going to get it confused with the other Columbia medical school. It's not like you hear people talking about Weill Medical College at Cornell University or Keck School of Medicine at USC or Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern, etc... This P&S thing just seems sort of snotty and pretentious. It's a medical school just like any other.

oh yeah: for all you that feel it necessary to include the P&S:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AND

:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

y does this bother u???

da thing that bothers me is peeps like u complaining bout every little fu-ckin thing that annoys them.

:p :p :p

just called it Columbia Penis, does that make it better?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Columbia Penis"....it has a nice ring to it.....:D

:laugh:

Hey, I'm pretty slow but I just figured that out - good one, dude!

Originally posted by josehernandez94
This P&S thing just seems sort of snotty and pretentious. It's a medical school just like any other.
:rolleyes:

No - it's not a medical school "just like any other". It is an amazing medical school. The best in all of NY. Try to show a little respect.

haha! that's great! i don't know why i never heard or thought of that before! Columbia Penis it is!

"Gosh...I love Columbia Penis. I especially the Penis Club. So much to do outside of school at the Penis Club."

wow, i'm so immature. but it's funny still.

Oh, I thought that was a common joke about it. I mean, just say the name "Columbia P & S" fast (& = 'N)

Originally posted by Jugador75
No - it's not a medical school "just like any other". It is an amazing medical school. The best in all of NY. Try to show a little respect.

I think Cornell could claim the title best in NY as well.

Its like saying "Harvard" to them in their minds. LOL j/k :laugh:

Yeah, Columbia Penis has been a nickname for the school for a long time. Even though I've heard it a bunch of times, it's still funny every time someone says "P&S" and it comes out sounding like "Penis" without them realizing it. You'd think that those intelligent doctors who first opened the med school could've at least avoided a ridiculing name like that.

Originally posted by Gleevec
I think Cornell could claim the title best in NY as well.

Ummm....no.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by goobernaculum
haha! that's great! i don't know why i never heard or thought of that before! Columbia Penis it is!

"Gosh...I love Columbia Penis. I especially the Penis Club. So much to do outside of school at the Penis Club."

wow, i'm so immature. but it's funny still.

Wow, do u really love columbia penis?

Originally posted by NRAI2001

his name is goobernaculum, without it, none of us would have balls.

its only natural for balls to find comedy in the penis, its like sunny and cher, tom and jerry, or vagina and monologues.

his name is goobernaculum, without it, none of us would have balls.

hehe...and without bcr-abl, there would be no gleevec.

Originally posted by NRAI2001

As a second year at columbia, I can confirm that columbia p&s is loved, long time...

P&S is pretentious? wow. I guess MSSM, AECoM, and NYU are all pretentious too.

Originally posted by Scooby Doo
As a second year at columbia, I can confirm that columbia p&s is loved, long time...

hahahhHAHAHaha

Well Jose, how is "Physicians and Surgeons" pretentious in any way? P&S is the way many current students refer to it, and probably that's why SDN-ers use that term as well.

People sometimes use Geffen to refer to UCLA to distinguish it from the Drew/UCLA program. Or use Keck to refer to University of Southern California, because USC can refer to University of South Carolina as well.

Originally posted by CalBeE
Well Jose, how is "Physicians and Surgeons" pretentious in any way? P&S is the way many current students refer to it, and probably that's why SDN-ers use that term as well.

People sometimes use Geffen to refer to UCLA to distinguish it from the Drew/UCLA program. Or use Keck to refer to University of Southern California, because USC can refer to University of South Carolina as well.

Exactly.... Keck by itself helps distinguish Southern Cal from South Carolina, which I have no problem with. However, it's not like "P&S" distinguishes Columbia from another school. For the person who talked about MSSM, AECOM, etc... those are just abbreviations, also something I don't have a problem with. It's the idea of referring to Columbia as "Columbia P&S" that rubs me the wrong way. Just P&S or just Columbia is fine, but writing out the whole name, as I said, seems pretentious. And for the person who told me to "show some respect"... this is exactly the attitude that irks me. Why the hell should I show Columbia any more or less respect than any other medical school? It's a wonderful school, no doubt, and I'm sure its reputation is well deserved. But people who graduate from there are MDs just like people who graduate from Caribbean medical schools.

Originally posted by josehernandez94
Exactly.... Keck by itself helps distinguish Southern Cal from South Carolina, which I have no problem with. However, it's not like "P&S" distinguishes Columbia from another school.

Well calling it P&S is more common than the full name I think. Plus Calling it COlumbia P&S will distinguish it from University of Missouri-Columbia, which is another U.S. Medical School.

in terms of cameras...

p&s = "point & shoot"....as opposed to SLR cameras.

hmmm....maybe's there's a trend. :wow:

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
in terms of cameras...

point and shoot and penis.

wow we can start a word association game now! :D

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
in terms of cameras...

Ummm....Point and Shoot also refers to the simplified model of the autonomic nervous systen and penile physiology.

Point=erection=Parasympathetic fibers

Shoot=ejaculation=Sympathetic fibers

There's actually more to penile autonomic physiology than just that, but Step 1 of the USMLE is two years away, so I'll hold off on the full story for now.