What to bring to an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

washington101

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Those of you that have been through interviews before (medical school of course) what do you bring to your interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Pen and paper to take notes. As a girl I also bring an extra pair of nylons if I'm wearing a skirt. I also heard of a story where a cell phone rang in the middle of an interview- I started leaving mine at home or in the car so I didn't have to worry about remembering to turn it off.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I have a publication, should I bring a copy of my abstract for their files?

Shouldnt they already have a copy by then... maybe take for your own review before the interview.

TinT said:
Pen and paper to take notes. As a girl I also bring an extra pair of nylons if I'm wearing a skirt. I also heard of a story where a cell phone rang in the middle of an interview- I started leaving mine at home or in the car so I didn't have to worry about remembering to turn it off.

Is that because you might accidentally get a run or tear in your stockings? Yeah that'd be bad cuz then your interviewer would probably be too distracted at looking at your stems than your app.

I also brought a little folder with me to jot down notes about the school -- both for my own benefit later, and also to have some relevant facts/impressions about the school in my head for the interviews. this turned out to be somewhat of a waste, since i never once quoted the number of beds in the school's hospital or anything like that, but if nothing else it made me a little more confident going in.

also, definitely bring an alarm clock of some sort so you'll wake up in the morning on time. in fact, bring two alarm clocks.

camera
i'm a shutterjunky

Cash - some schools make you pay for lunch, also good if you need to buy a razor because realized you had not shaved for a week walking to your interview in the morning

A map of the buildings on the campus, just in case the admissions office doesn't provide one.

If I have written a paper but will SOON publish it, should I bring a copy of it since I wrote a lot about my research in my personal statement? Thanks!

instigata said:
If I have written a paper but will SOON publish it, should I bring a copy of it since I wrote a lot about my research in my personal statement? Thanks!

Don't bring it to give to your interviewer... just have them add it to your profile. Some kid brought a signed copy of his book for his interviewer at one of my schools... it was perceived as pompous.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
Don't bring it to give to your interviewer... just have them add it to your profile. Some kid brought a signed copy of his book for his interviewer at one of my schools... it was perceived as pompous.

It's probably best to bring nothing but one of those leather bound folio things with a pad of paper and pen. Be prepared to talk about your publications, abstract or book but don't actually bring it -- you can offer to send it along if they seem interested (hopefully it is already listed on AMCAS, if so, that is plenty).
Bring a toothpick/floss and a breath mint, as sometimes you will have your interview after the freebie lunch. A pack of kleenex isn't a bad idea esp for sweaty palms.