what to bring to the interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ralphmachio

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what all do i need to bring the day of the interview? i've got a sophisticated looking folder that i was going to bring some paper and a pen in but do i need anything else? if so, what should i bring it in because i don't have the nicest looking bookbag.

Members don't see this ad.

you know, a friend of mine (who got into every school he applied to) recommended bringing discman and headphones--to listen to your favorite CD while you're waiting. he said it really helped him relax before the interview.

just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
The music thing is a good idea, but remember that you have to carry it around with you all day long, which sort of sucks. I usually listen to CDs on the way to the school, and then leave them somewhere else during the day, like my car or the hotel room. I've been taking a nice-looking leather portfolio thing with me, and my purse. I make sure to have a pen and notepad in the portfolio so I can jot down any questions I think of during the day and so I can write down things my interviewer says. I also usually bring along the information the school sent me about the interview.

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
just be sure to remove the headphones before entering the interview room...:rolleyes:

:laugh:

haha...it's funny you should say that. he had the earphones hanging around his neck the entire interview, but he's now in the MDPhD program at harvard so i guess they must have not really minded.

Don't forget your shirt!

A few years ago, I went to my first interview, which happened to be at Duke. I woke up that morning, and I had everything... but a shirt! Since no stores were open yet (and I had no car), and my interview time was rapidly approaching, I offered a guy at the hotel's front desk $100 for his shirt. He laughed, so I ended up bribing the hotel's shuttle driver to take me to any store that might be open. I got a shirt, and it made for a great story during my interview. My interviewers both thought it was funny, and it turned out to be a good icebreaker.

Moral of the story -- doublecheck what you pack! Don't forget to bring the basic things that you'll need.

Cheers,
doepug

Don't forget a copy of your AMCAS application and maybe your school transcript

If you interview at the U of Chicago, bring a pizza and some beer and leave it in the student lounge next to the TV.

Originally posted by GuitarMan
If you interview at the U of Chicago, bring a pizza and some beer and leave it in the student lounge next to the TV.

Is that for the interviewer's use or yours? :laugh: :laugh:

Inside the folder thing I brought a typed sheet of questions I had for the interviewer...they were quite impressed!

Originally posted by holler79
Inside the folder thing I brought a typed sheet of questions I had for the interviewer...they were quite impressed!

Yeah, don't forget your list of questions for the interviewer.

My favorite question was "how does the USMLE scores of the students at XYZ compare to the national average?" (higher/lower)

Most interviewers have no idea, but one interviewer took me to the dean's office to get an answer..........kiss-@ss opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget to pack an umbrella. It might be raining the day of your interview or even snowing (later on in the season).

Good Luck!
:)

so are u supposed to be bringing some sort of folder to the interview? or have people walked empty handed?

i'm planning:
1. alarm
2. cell phone
3. one or two extra sets of clothes in case i have multiple interviews in one area.

what's a good place to store stuff if u have an interview at school x on one day and u're not staying w/ a host/hotel, and u're planning to interview at another school in the same state the next day (i'm thinking about ny)? have people been able to leave it in admissions office or something?

Yogi,

Have no fear...if you ask the office if they have a place to store your stuff, they will either take your stuff and store it for you or show you a closet or room specifically for the interviewee's storage. Obviously, try to pack light.

Other things to bring (little things to make days a lot easier):

comfy shoes (for after the long day doing tours, etc.)
Shout wetnap (to get out stain in case you spill something)
aspirin (one of my more nervous friends always brought Tums too)
Band-Aids (esp. for women wearing blister-inducing shoes)
a watch
Breath Mints/TicTacs (just in case)

If you are really paranoid or just uber-prepared:
needle and thread
Visine
clear nail polish (in case get a run in pantyhose)

Yeah, I think I'll bring 2 watches. I never know if mine will get screwed up. That happened to me at the MCAT--halfway thru the first section, I noticed that my usually trustworthy watch died! I'm not going thru that again!

I'm also debating a large purse or a portfolio. But I'm leaning toward a leather portfolio. Oh, and the Band-Aids hint is a very good one. ;)

two watches? and i thot i was paranoid. ehehe they say lightening never strikes twice...which isnt necessarily true, but if it makes u feel more comfortable....then go for it.

girls....are you carrying a purse or a briefcase?? i think i'm going to have to carry a purse (looks professional and is medium sized) and a hard leather folder to keep my papers in order (it won't fit straight in the purse). while i don't think the interviewers would care, think i'll be uncomfortable with so much stuff in my hands? silly question, but i'm trying stuff on now for the last time before the interview and want to get everything squared away.

Don't forget a pack of condoms, just case something happens to "click" in the interview room.

Don't forget a pack of condoms, just case something happens to "click" in the interview room.

:laugh: :laugh: