What to do about Holiday address change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unicorn06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be away from my mail for about a month when I go home for the holidays. I'm sure many are in similar situations. Do you plan to inform all of the adcoms of this short address change?

Members don't see this ad.

Have a neighbor, friend, roomie, SOMEBODY gather up your mail for you and forward it in big envelopes that you have preaddressed and stamped. Or, if it is a friend, give them permission to open the med school envelopes and read you whatever is inside.

Flopotomist said:
Have a neighbor, friend, roomie, SOMEBODY gather up your mail for you and forward it in big envelopes that you have preaddressed and stamped. Or, if it is a friend, give them permission to open the med school envelopes and read you whatever is inside.

I'm an undergrad, and all of my friends are also leaving campus. We are kicked out of our residences for the holidays. Thanks for the suggestions though...

Members don't see this ad :)
unicorn06 said:
I'm an undergrad, and all of my friends are also leaving campus. We are kicked out of our residences for the holidays. Thanks for the suggestions though...

I have the same problem...I'd like to know what people are planning on doing as well.

why wouldn't you just change it on AMCAS? i'm pretty sure it's instantaneous and that is the primary source where med schools get your info from.
-mota

I have my primary mailing address where my parents live, so someone checks everyday for me. I'd change it on amcas like mota said, then just keep it there.

justskipee said:
I have my primary mailing address where my parents live, so someone checks everyday for me. I'd change it on amcas like mota said, then just keep it there.

I went to do just that on my AMCAS yesterday, and up popped a warning that my application would have to be recertified for changing my preferred address. I really don't want my app to be inaccessible to schools for another four weeks--does it really go through the formal process again? Or does it pop back up in a day when they realize all that changed was the address? I have nightmares of trying to change my address and schools thinking I missed the AMCAS deadline...

silverdime said:
I went to do just that on my AMCAS yesterday, and up popped a warning that my application would have to be recertified for changing my preferred address. I really don't want my app to be inaccessible to schools for another four weeks--does it really go through the formal process again? Or does it pop back up in a day when they realize all that changed was the address? I have nightmares of trying to change my address and schools thinking I missed the AMCAS deadline...
recertify and reverify are VERY VERY different. By recertifying, you have to electronically sign stating that everything is correct, etc. It is fast and painless, and does NOT require reverification (which takes forever).

silverdime said:

Also, I think schools print out your AMCAS and put it in a file, so it wouldn't matter if you update. Some schools go by the contact info on your secondary instead of the AMCAS too.

unicorn06 said:
I will be away from my mail for about a month when I go home for the holidays. I'm sure many are in similar situations. Do you plan to inform all of the adcoms of this short address change?

I just sent all my med schools emails telling them of my situation (im going to 4 countries in a month).

almost all of them added the info to my file and some even reviewed my file early and gave me earlier interviews so that i would know.

its kind of a pain to email so many schools but i didnt really mind since ive already spent so much time/money on this process.

unicorn06 said:

check with your res hall...a lot of them have a holiday mail procedure in place where they forward stuff. might be worth checking into at least