What to do after getting accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kevin Ho

Reaction score
Hi everybody, so I'm currently working as a dental assistant part time on Fridays. I kinda just want to quit because everybody always says to chill and relax before starting dental school. However my dad said I should work more to learn more. What do you guys suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, realistically do you have enough money to last until you start school? Having something to do while you wait will at least make the time go by faster, and have some money for the summer. You could dial your hours back and find a hobby you enjoy or learn a new skill like cooking, or start to get into an exercise routine.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everybody, so I'm currently working as a dental assistant part time on Fridays. I kinda just want to quit because everybody always says to chill and relax before starting dental school. However my dad said I should work more to learn more. What do you guys suggest?
There's only so much you can learn up to a certain point as a dental assistant (taking x-rays, sterilization, crown temps, charts, etc). However, it can be hard to build on that clinical knowledge without knowing foundational stuff. For example, you assist with a class I filling, you know that the dentist will: etch, bond, fill, cure, etc, etc but you don't know why you do it like that. Most the knowledge you have now as a dental assistant will be useful once you get to clinic but those first two years will be primarily ppts, lectures and exams.

Long story short, if you're working part time only on Fridays, it's just one day out of the week really. Wouldn't hurt to have the extra money and you have the other 6 days to do something else.

My good friend in dental school was #1 in our class and his dad was a dentist. I don't recall him ever assisting or working for his dad to learn more. He turned out pretty all right.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should listen to your dad. It’s time to learn to become independent from your parents. Dental school won’t teach you this value. I know I sound like an old man….because I am old man. You will be less shocked when you start your first job as an associate dentist at a place that makes you work like a dog. You will learn to sympathize with your staff and have better working relationship with them. Having helpful staff will make your life easier.

Reactions: 2 users
Do whatever you want. Just don’t let your brain turn to mush

Reactions: 2 users
Dental school doesn't start for another 6 or so months. I'd relax a couple of months before dental school starts so I can move and get things in order, but you can do what you want. You don't need to quit now unless your really have to leave.

Reactions: 1 user
are you in school the rest of the time?

if you ever wanted to travel internationally, this is a great time. I'd work full time and save up, and go abroad for a month or something

Reactions: 1 users
I would relax. Most dental students I've talked to wished that they took some time off before they hit dental school. I'm not saying be completely lazy. What I am saying is that this is the time to focus on self-improvement in other areas besides dentistry. For example, I am working on my leadership skills by coaching a sport. You could also travel! Traveling to different countries really opens your perspective of the world that schools cannot teach you. Then again, it's up to you.

Reactions: 1 user