What to do after getting written up by DM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prosperity8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got written up by my district manager for something really silly.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ask the DM to partner worth you on firing the bad techs or start polishing your resume

Reactions: 1 user
If he is nick picking you so he can fire you then do the same to him. Find illegal things the pharmacy is doing and put your concerns in writing. If he end up firing you then you can sue him for retaliation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If he is nick picking you so he can fire you then do the same to him. Find illegal things the pharmacy is doing and put your concerns in writing. If he end up firing you then you can sue him for retaliation.

If you have a long career ahead of you in pharmacy I certainly wouldn't recommend this route. Pharmacy is a small community and this will follow you. In addition, you are an at-will employee and can be fired for no reason whatsoever. Lawsuits against employers are long and costly and unlikely to be successful. It is unfortunate that we are treated in this fashion after spending so much time, money and energy pursuing what has become a devalued doctorate due to the surplus. District Managers who are under pressure to meet unreachable metrics will make certain their Regional Manager is aware they are doing their best to turn them around. Some do this by stacking paper on pharmacists and giving poor reviews. They adopt the philosophy that "If I'm going down I'm taking a few of you with me". Do your best and hang in there. They may get moved or fired first. Polish off your resume and make contacts in other pharmacies just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just got written up by my district manager for something really silly. He said I was unaware of my surrounding and failed to tell one of the tech to go help customer at the counter. I had 2 techs filling and 1 tech stuck at the drive thru. The second filler knew it was her duty to take care of the counter but I got written up because I did tell her to go to counter and she stayed filling. I'm worried because my DM did not like me from the beginning. He never comes to the pharmacy to talk to me but instead only pass message to me through store manager. I'm worried he's picking specific incidence and making me sign in order to get rid of me. I work for a large retail chain and the trend is to cut staff rph hours and hire more part time floaters. Am I being paranoid for seeing the writing on the wall that might not exist? Or should I start applying to other places while I'm still employed? I will probably need 1 more write and PIP before being fired. The problem is the techs at my store suck and slowest in the whole district. Our verified by promised time are last and in 40%.

man looks like he's lining you up. i would def record and document any questionable issues at your pharmacy. even the issues with techs you just talked about above. good to get regional manager involved at this point too if possible since you have a good reason to have bad numbers and DM is riding you for semi-personal reasons. this is one of the reasons why i left chain retail. sorry to hear you're going through this. i would look for another job asap.

Transfer district/store/go back to floating?

I just got written up by my district manager for something really silly. He said I was unaware of my surrounding and failed to tell one of the tech to go help customer at the counter. I had 2 techs filling and 1 tech stuck at the drive thru. The second filler knew it was her duty to take care of the counter but I got written up because I did tell her to go to counter and she stayed filling. I'm worried because my DM did not like me from the beginning. He never comes to the pharmacy to talk to me but instead only pass message to me through store manager. I'm worried he's picking specific incidence and making me sign in order to get rid of me. I work for a large retail chain and the trend is to cut staff rph hours and hire more part time floaters. Am I being paranoid for seeing the writing on the wall that might not exist? Or should I start applying to other places while I'm still employed? I will probably need 1 more write and PIP before being fired. The problem is the techs at my store suck and slowest in the whole district. Our verified by promised time are last and in 40%.

Why didn't you help the customer at the counter? Call IC3? If your DM is literally in the pharmacy then obviously you need to be providing customer service on overdrive. This is very obvious. Also if you asked the tech to help the counter in the presence of the DM, I think it is extremely unlikely they would refuse (or if they did then the DM would be more sympathetic to your situation). It would at least show you were making an attempt to provide good customer service. Also I would never put 2 techs in fill and 1 at counter, put 2 at counter and you back up the fill tech if fill zone is exploding. Counter is #1 priority.

I do think your DM is nitpicking and trying to get you fired if they are writing you up rather than just talking you about this... But I also don't think this is "silly". I feel like there is more to the story, your DM can just randomly dislike you for no reason (if some personal thing than of course that is inappropriate).

Tons of pharmacists either refuse to direct and delegate the technicians, or refuse to jump in to perform a technician function when necessary (which will make your techs hate you and be even less likely to be "engaged"). Some pharmacists just stand there and do not but verify while the store burns down around them - Not saying you are necessarily this pharmacist but it happens a lot. This drove me absolutely insane when I was a tech and we would have floaters that were just there to be a warm, pharmacist body.

These techs are old and have been around for 20 years. They are slower than a turtle. They are very cunning and know that the company is afraid to fire them due to age discrimination. They have had so many rph complaints against them for being rude and slow. Most rph before me would run away and transfer out of that store. It's sad but I'm afraid they rather fire me the pharmacist instead even though i'm half their age.
Bull****.

Coach them on any and everything.

I've worked for my company for 12 years and never had 1 single write-up...it all depends on if the DM likes you or if you keep under the radar. I think he's probably trying to document and line you up to fire you or make you float/take you out of that store and drop you below FT. I think it's the latter because I've seen it happen all the time. RXMs doesn't like their partner...tells the DM....DM comes in for a visit and starts writing and documenting their minor fukups. They start talking to you about performances all of a sudden when it was never an issue before. In a few weeks time, all of a sudden you see them floating and not staffed anymore.

I've worked for my company for 12 years and never had 1 single write-up...it all depends on if the DM likes you or if you keep under the radar. I think he's probably trying to document and line you up to fire you or make you float/take you out of that store and drop you below FT. I think it's the latter because I've seen it happen all the time. RXMs doesn't like their partner...tells the DM....DM comes in for a visit and starts writing and documenting their minor fukups. They start talking to you about performances all of a sudden when it was never an issue before. In a few weeks time, all of a sudden you see them floating and not staffed anymore.

I've been at the same store my for 8 years and customers love me. All of a sudden, now I'm not following workflow etc. My gut instinct is telling me someone is out to get me. Maybe the techs or front manager.

How is your VBP only 40%? What is your % of waiters? If it's less than 20%, you have to increase that to at least above 25%. Are you able to run OCPs and refills for easy stuff like lisinopril or anything else that's in the machines as waiters? I would run everything as waiters in the morning or before closing. If a customer calls me for a refill that's easy, I'd just run that as a waiter as well. My VBP usually was > 80-85%. What is your average script number?

You aren't being paranoid, trust your instincts. In any organization if your manager likes you, you can get away with almost anything sometimes illegal activity especially if your manager is involved. On the other hand if your manager doesn't like you, they search for ways to justify your termination. Most states at at will employment, but since your company probably has progressive discipline they will go thru the steps to fire you. I am guessing your dm has already talked to to you before this- this is a record of discussion non disciplinary but something they have to do first. Then you got your first write up. You can request your employment record from corporate.

What to do now? I would start rapidly looking for work. Its ineffective to fight it internally thru corporate. Documenting problems at your shop might give you some leverage if you get fired especially if its an OSHA violation where management knows you reported it or a board violation you are required to report and your dm knows about it.

How is your VBP only 40%? What is your % of waiters? If it's less than 20%, you have to increase that to at least above 25%. Are you able to run OCPs and refills for easy stuff like lisinopril or anything else that's in the machines as waiters? I would run everything as waiters in the morning or before closing. If a customer calls me for a refill that's easy, I'd just run that as a waiter as well. My VBP usually was > 80-85%. What is your average script number?

I have 2 techs over 60 y/o. They move like turtle. If we put waiters they get grouchy and start arguing. Not only that, they won't be able to fill within 15 minutes. I would end up being me running to fill to meet waiter time.

Members don't see this ad :)
You aren't being paranoid, trust your instincts. In any organization if your manager likes you, you can get away with almost anything sometimes illegal activity especially if your manager is involved. On the other hand if your manager doesn't like you, they search for ways to justify your termination. Most states at at will employment, but since your company probably has progressive discipline they will go thru the steps to fire you. I am guessing your dm has already talked to to you before this- this is a record of discussion non disciplinary but something they have to do first. Then you got your first write up. You can request your employment record from corporate.

What to do now? I would start rapidly looking for work. Its ineffective to fight it internally thru corporate. Documenting problems at your shop might give you some leverage if you get fired especially if its an OSHA violation where management knows you reported it or a board violation you are required to report and your dm knows about it.

I feel like i'm the scapegoat for my store's poor performance. The store and pharmacy manager does not want to take responsibility for disciplining these techs. I am actively applying elsewhere right now.

I feel like i'm the scapegoat for my store's poor performance. The store and pharmacy manager does not want to take responsibility for disciplining these techs. I am actively applying elsewhere right now.

you are the scapegoat. always. DM isn't going to take responsibility. period. especially at cvs or walgreeens. techs with no accountability will not care. look for another position asap.

My store is in a similar situation. The metrics have been very bad. The techs are mostly new and are not trained. It is a matter of time before i get blamed as the staff rph. I have yet to meet with the new district leader. With Cvs i have to keep my options open. I have to polish my resume just in case i get demoted to partime or floater. It will be hard to survive with 30 hrs a week let alone partime.

Sorry, I know you don't want to hear it but your name is "in the hat". When a company wants to fire someone they will start to nit pick and write you up for anything. Example, my last company fired me for driving too fast in the parking lot. It's best just to start looking for a new job now before you are laid off or fired. It's easier to find a job when you currently have one vs the risk of being precieved as damaged goods applying for jobs in a saturated market. Working with bad technicians is toxic. They are ingrained in the system and know exactly how to work it.

TL:DR
Leave ASAP

Reactions: 1 users
OP, I can believe everything you are saying is true but its best to put it behind you and move on- that's my best recommendation. Sounds like you care about how the pharmacy runs but you really have to care about your own butt. At your next job maybe your dm will love you or you can make them love you.

I don't even know if it is personal but it does sounds like he is trying to get rid of you. IT might be that he has metrics and they are better if they have less fulltime rph.

These techs are old and have been around for 20 years. They are slower than a turtle. They are very cunning and know that the company is afraid to fire them due to age discrimination. They have had so many rph complaints against them for being rude and slow. Most rph before me would run away and transfer out of that store. It's sad but I'm afraid they rather fire me the pharmacist instead even though i'm half their age.

i wonder why it is way harder to get rid of old techs vs getting rid of old pharmacists. Not saying that it's right, but if the motive is to dump people before they can reap their retirement benefits, the company can use the same cheap tactics against anybody. The techs may get paid chump change but the benefit over so many years must still be sizable.

I have 2 techs over 60 y/o. They move like turtle. If we put waiters they get grouchy and start arguing. Not only that, they won't be able to fill within 15 minutes. I would end up being me running to fill to meet waiter time.

I find this hard to believe unless you're exaggerating.

Regardless, if your techs are making too many mistakes and continue to be disobedient, you should have been more aggressive and pulled the trigger first as a warning shot. Even in a corporate environment, the laws of the streets still governs: if people see weakness, they will exploit it regardless of who it is.

Btw, is your pharmacy always staffed with at least 90% females (pharmacists included)?

People with no sense of accountability to self or others (i.e., sociopaths) are always the worst kind of workers, pharmacist or tech and are always looking for ways to get back at you or stymie any sort of disciplinary action. It really is a PITA to get rid of these types

I find this hard to believe unless you're exaggerating.

Regardless, if your techs are making too many mistakes and continue to be disobedient, you should have been more aggressive and pulled the trigger first as a warning shot. Even in a corporate environment, the laws of the streets still governs: if people see weakness, they will exploit it regardless of who it is.

Btw, is your pharmacy always staffed with at least 90% females (pharmacists included)?

It'ss all female. There's bickering about every single issue. Even fights about who gets to keep a staple at their station.

OP, I can believe everything you are saying is true but its best to put it behind you and move on- that's my best recommendation. Sounds like you care about how the pharmacy runs but you really have to care about your own butt. At your next job maybe your dm will love you or you can make them love you.

My only regret about leaving will be my customers. They love me and I love to help them. I have so many customers who trust and depend on me. I could care less about anyone else. I do see the writing on the wall. The best revenge against toxic people and evil corporate management is to find another job and leave with grace and never look book.

It'ss all female. There's bickering about every single issue. Even fights about who gets to keep a staple at their station.

If you're also a female, then they just truly do not like you and it's not the "girls gotta stick together" shtick.