What to do after taking MCAT soph. year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can I prepare during junior year for the application process. Can I start filling out things soon.. perhaps work on the Personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, work on your personal statement...work on getting to know people to get good LOR's

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question! I am in the same situation. I'm done taking science classes (i only took the prereqs) and I probably cant get any good reccomendations out of those even though I got As. So, I think I am going to try to do research with one of my professors to make my LORs better. Also, maybe i will start working on my PS. I want to submit my AMCAS the first day that I can.

Go ahead and compile your list of ECs. You can print off a page from AMCAS that is a worksheet of information you need to gather before you apply. Work on getting your blurbs written for each of your ECs listed. That was my biggest hang up when I was filling out my application. I had already written and revised my PS ad nauseum before I applied, but I didn't even think about what to say about my ECs.

start working on your PS in the fall. start hammering out good descriptions of your activities/ECs. start getting LORs. meet with your pre-med adviser a couple of times throughout the year (if you have one), just so he/she gets to know you better before they write your letter.

I was in the same boat a few years back. It's great that you are thinking about your personal statement already, but it's kinda unnecessary. What you need to do is focus now on interesting ECs that you can add to your application. For example, study abroad, working more closely with some physicians for possible LORs, or even trying to shadow physicians in a variety of specialties. Pretty much, you have a lot you can be doing other than your PS. Your PS should really be a statement of what has brought you to choose medicine over your entire life, especially over the course of all of your college years up to that point. Thus, if you begin working on it now, it might be somewhat of a waste of time because you don't know the impact different experiences will have on you over this next year. Good luck with everything!!!