What to do before applying next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Si44

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I am wondering which areas I should focus on improving before applying for the 2018-2019 cycle. First, a little about me:

I am a non-trad, currently doing an informal post-Bacc at a UC (took a few years away from school). I am taking three quarters of a full time course load in all upper division science classes. I am very confident I will come out of this year with a 4.0.

Before the post-Bacc my cGPA was a 3.3, and my sGPA was a 3.0. Once i finish this year of classes it will only jump my cGPA to a 3.42 and my sGPA to a 3.21. I am hoping that this post-Bacc will look good, because I had a downward trend my last year of undergrad.

In terms of ECs:
100-120 hours of clinical volunteering
120 hours of shadowing (I begin shadowing a DO soon, and I hope to get a LoR from him)
No research experience

MCAT: 509 (128/125/129/127)

Should I focus on getting additional ECs? If so, what can I do that will look good on an app? I applied to be a scribe throughout my area, but the job is very impacted for part-time positions where I am living. I could also retake the MCAT and aim for a better score as well? I am really hoping to get in this upcoming cycle, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: Wrote my MCAT subsections wrong, and just corrected it. Sorry!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT is above average for DO schools so that should help give you a boost since your GPA isn't stellar (but it's good enough). I would definitely go through with shadowing the DO and getting a LOR from him. You should also try and get some non-clinical volunteering.

I would agree that you're in good shape with your MCAT -- but I would definitely get as much clinical experience as possible in addition to more volunteering (whether from more hands on volunteering or a work experience as you said - but I don't think it has to be scribing). I feel like in the DO world your no research won't be a big deal either!
Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer:

I honestly think you would receive interviews if you applied right now with your stats (assuming you write good essays), at the least from new schools, and schools that like higher MCATs. That being said, if you want to have a strong application cycle this summer, I think you should do the following:

These are the two things medical schools actually care about:

1.) Can Si44 pass board exams (grades/MCAT)

2.) Does Si44 know what he/she is getting into (clinical experience)

If you finish strong in school, you will be fine for #1 (IMO.)

This is why you should focus on gaining as much clinical experience as you can. Best way to do this? Acquire a job in healthcare, preferably close to docs/patients (so you are actually getting exposed to what you will be doing x years from now.) This will allow you to log tons of hours in the remaining time you have before applying.

Your clinical hours right no are okay (assuming your clinical volunteering is legit) but if you really wanna knock your application season out of the park, get more clinical experience.

Your total volunteering hours are fine.

Another thing, if your volunteering is truly only clinical, you might wanna get involved in non-clinical volunteering, maybe one day a week (or more if you want.) I was asked at one school who will remain un-named (but is located in Nevada ;)) why my volunteering was only clinical, and I had no answer for them. They still offered me a spot, but you might be faced with this question, and it might be worth looking into.

The only (small) potential red flag I see is your sGPA (as it currently is) coupled with your lower biology score on the MCAT (125... which is fine honestly, but it is your lowest category) - it's a little suspicious. Which is why I think if you finish strong and get that sGPA up, you'll be fine for applying to DO schools, academically.

Last minute note: If you happen to run into a research opportunity, it wouldn't hurt to get some exposure. It's not hugely emphasized at most DO schools, but it is always a plus to have.

Summary: My advice is super nitpicky, and I think you would get interviews as your application is right now. But if you reallllly wanna make sure those DO schools want you... especially the bigger ones... you've got time to boost your app.

Good luck!
-NF

The only (small) potential red flag I see is your sGPA (as it currently is) coupled with your lower biology score on the MCAT (125... which is fine honestly, but it is your lowest category) - it's a little suspicious. Which is why I think if you finish strong and get that sGPA up, you'll be fine for applying to DO schools, academically.

Sorry, I wrote my MCAT score section breakdown wrong, the 125 was in CARS and I received a 129 in the Bio section (I edited my post). Do you think the 125 CARS score is too low? I was scoring 128s on my last 4 practice tests and then whiffed it somehow on the real deal in the CARS section.

Also, thank you very much for all the advice! I really appreciate it! Thanks to everyone else who commented as well!

Continue your clinical volunteering, get the DO letter, and get some non-clinical volunteering and you'll be set.

The only thing you're really lacking is the non-clinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, I wrote my MCAT score section breakdown wrong, the 125 was in CARS and I received a 129 in the Bio section (I edited my post). Do you think the 125 CARS score is too low? I was scoring 128s on my last 4 practice tests and then whiffed it somehow on the real deal in the CARS section.

Also, thank you very much for all the advice! I really appreciate it! Thanks to everyone else who commented as well!

No not at all. Honestly 125+ is fine. I just meant a lower sGPA (3.0 - but you said you'd raise that) coupled with a 125 on bio might get a super picky individuals' attention. I wouldn't sweat it - your MCAT score is great for DO schools.

@Goro Any advice?

Also, do I have any chance at MD schools?