BABKAK

2+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2014
Chicago, IL
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hello!

After lots of work, I was accepted to my IS DVM program for fall 2016. However, after the arrival of my first child this summer, I realized starting school and having a newborn would be too much and deferred admission for a year. During this year I'd like to prepare as much as possible for first year.

What do you wish you did/ understood better before first year? Are there classes you wish you had taken, books to have read? Any ideas as to how to best spend this extra time, and keep my mind sharp, would be appreciated. I'm interested in small animal, shelter med, and wild life and have little experience with large animal.

katryn

UTCVM c/o 2014!!!!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Status
Veterinary Student
Congrats on the acceptance and the baby!!! Two thoughts:
1. Undergrad -ology courses can give you a leg up. Microbiology, virology, pathology if it's offered at undergrad level. Things like that. You will learn all of it in vet school, but exposure before hand can make it easier the second time around.
2. Pick up some reception work at a local clinic. Working solely reception is a great way to boost your communication skills, and helps give you a more realistic mindset concerning budgets and charges. It's also something a little less stressful physically if you've just had a baby!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: Lupin21

LetItSnow

Skipping the light fandango
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2011
Plymouth, MN, USA
animaltracks.wordpress.com
Status
Veterinarian
Hello!

After lots of work, I was accepted to my IS DVM program for fall 2016. However, after the arrival of my first child this summer, I realized starting school and having a newborn would be too much and deferred admission for a year. During this year I'd like to prepare as much as possible for first year.

What do you wish you did/ understood better before first year? Are there classes you wish you had taken, books to have read? Any ideas as to how to best spend this extra time, and keep my mind sharp, would be appreciated. I'm interested in small animal, shelter med, and wild life and have little experience with large animal.
None of the above. Spend it with your family and soak in as much time doing that as possible.