What to do during a deferral year?

Started by BABKAK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BABKAK

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello!

After lots of work, I was accepted to my IS DVM program for fall 2016. However, after the arrival of my first child this summer, I realized starting school and having a newborn would be too much and deferred admission for a year. During this year I'd like to prepare as much as possible for first year.

What do you wish you did/ understood better before first year? Are there classes you wish you had taken, books to have read? Any ideas as to how to best spend this extra time, and keep my mind sharp, would be appreciated. I'm interested in small animal, shelter med, and wild life and have little experience with large animal.
 
Congrats on the acceptance and the baby!!! Two thoughts:
1. Undergrad -ology courses can give you a leg up. Microbiology, virology, pathology if it's offered at undergrad level. Things like that. You will learn all of it in vet school, but exposure before hand can make it easier the second time around.
2. Pick up some reception work at a local clinic. Working solely reception is a great way to boost your communication skills, and helps give you a more realistic mindset concerning budgets and charges. It's also something a little less stressful physically if you've just had a baby!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Hello!

After lots of work, I was accepted to my IS DVM program for fall 2016. However, after the arrival of my first child this summer, I realized starting school and having a newborn would be too much and deferred admission for a year. During this year I'd like to prepare as much as possible for first year.

What do you wish you did/ understood better before first year? Are there classes you wish you had taken, books to have read? Any ideas as to how to best spend this extra time, and keep my mind sharp, would be appreciated. I'm interested in small animal, shelter med, and wild life and have little experience with large animal.

None of the above. Spend it with your family and soak in as much time doing that as possible.