What to do during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mary R

Reaction score
I was hoping to get this summer research internship which would involve roughly 400 hours of research, a poster, and possibly a publication. I received a rejection email today. That was my plan for my summer and I was gonna figure out what to do afterwards later. Now I need to think about what I am gonna do for my summer and the rest of my gap year. I don’t really care what I do (scribe, research, CNA, other). I just want to do what will be the most beneficial for me to get into a T20. One of my biggest concerns is if I have enough research? Below is a little about me. I would love if anyone could share any perspective as I try and figure out what will be the best use of my gap year to get me to my goals…

GPA: 3.98
MCAT score: 520
Majors: Biology and Chemistry
State of residence: Minnesota
Ethnicity/Gender: White/Female
Undergraduate institution: State University
Clinical experience: 1000 hrs CNA in a hospital and 50 hrs volunteering (canceled due to covid)
Research experience: 520 hrs (2 posters, a 1st author university published report, 2 department seminars)
Shadowing experience: 100 hours
Non-clinical volunteering: 1400 hours
Tutoring / TA: 1000 hours
Extra-Curricular Activities: 160 hours (pre-med club and student conduct board)
Leadership: 1000 campus ministry and 40 hours senior honor society and 50 hours journal chief editor
Honors: 300 hours university honors program and 50 hours senior honor society (non-leadership)
Athletics: D2 athlete (3 years) = at least 2500 hours
Non-Clinical Employment: 1500 hours (mostly during summers)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
How many summer research programs did you apply to? How many research labs have you contacted directly regardless of participation in a summer research program?
I only applied to one summer research program in my home state as I’m planning on moving back with my parents for my gap year. I haven’t contacted anyone else or done anything else to explore my options as I was waiting to see if I got the internship or not first.

Reactions: 1 user
Just tutor the MCAT and secure that bag, dude. Unless you plan on writing update letters about your nature pubs, just make as much money as possible until med school rolls around. Your ECs and stats look super solid and I'm sure you'll get accepted if your writing and LORs are strong, and you submit as early as possible.

Edit: T20s are a crapshoot and there's no guarantee you'll get one. You've already done enough to maximize your chances imo

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users