What to do during residency to get the desired fellowship

Started by Astralcars
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Astralcars

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

This forum is great, and I really appreciate all the wonderful information and advice that has been given. I'm starting my peds residency in a couple weeks... super nervous! I'm also interested in a Peds EM fellowship after finishing. I understand that it's one of the more competitive specialties, and I was wondering what things one could do through residency to enhance his/her application for fellowships. Does it mostly depend upon evaluations and PD/Chairman letters? Any advice would be so appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.
 
Good luck with starting residency. It's a crazy time for sure.

Does your program have a peds EM fellowship available? Regardless, do what you can to make an impression with any peds ED attendings at your program.

Most of the usual things are used to determine applicants for fellowship. Reputation of the residency program, USMLE scores, research involvement (and quality of said research), recommendation letters, and interview performance are all reviewed. Also intangibles like perceived interest in the field and in the specific program are noted.

Learn as much as you can, be a hard worker and team player in residency and everything will fall into place.
 
@astralcars
Hello chap, good 2 kno that u r already planning 4 the future b4 u r joining residency!! We, in India just hav 2 go thru a few interview sessions, or may b OSCE, to join respective sub spcialities after completing the 3 yr residency....BTW, one uniform advice wud b 2 hav thorough/in-depth knowledge in the speciality u r interested in...