Status
Pre-Medical
undergrad accounting 2.7

only 4 pre-reqs taken no MCAT

bio 1 A
bio 2 B
chem 1 B
chem 2 B

what should i do from here???? just want to be on the right path and not kid myself lol

Jrsharp70

...failure to communicate
Mar 26, 2010
Status
Medical Student
undergrad accounting 2.7

bio 1 A
bio 2 B
chem 1 B
chem 2 B

what should i do from here???? just want to be on the right path and not kid myself lol
I'll eat the soap on this one...

This is not difficult. Learn the average sGPA, cGPA and MCAT for the schools you would consider applying to, realize this year's stats of accepted students is a little bit higher than normal, and then decide if it is mathematically possible to achieve close to that.

There is no question related to this that cannot be answered by looking instead of posting. Do not post a "what about DO or Carribean or new MD/DO school" thread. If you can't find out this information without posting a thread on it, then save yourself the money and time with the rest of your classes, because it is unlikely that you will have the skills to get into medical school.

Good luck

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
undergrad accounting 2.7

bio 1 A
bio 2 B
chem 1 B
chem 2 B

Alright to start off, what year/ semester are you on? How many credits have you taken? Have you begun to do research, clinical volunteering and other E.C's? Are you a Urm and or do you believe your economically disadvantaged?

Sep 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
ive been volunteering on the ems for a year

i just starting to volunteer at a hospital

and i apply for a research job at a hospital

i am already graduated from bachelors...im doing pre reqs for med school right now.....

but my undergrad is 2.7 and its non science all the way.......

just need some direction if i retake classes they will be non science classes...so......

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
2.7 with 120 credits is putting you in a bad place. I can honestly say that MD is going to be impossible for you ( without a SMP). However if you can go back to undergrad and retake and redo classes you got a C- and below in and you might be able to get into a DO program if you get a good mcat score. Aim for your Sgpa to be as high as possible.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
but its in a totally unrelated field.....accounting has nothing to do with science or being a doctor...

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
they don't care it's in an unrelated field. not to be a total debbie downer here but you have a long and tough road ahead of you. even if you take a full (30 credits a year) load of classes from here on out and completely ace (i.e. 4.0) all your classes, it'll take you about 3 years to pull it up to a 3.0, which is still VERY below the national average for MD schools. considering that the prereqs you HAVE taken show still mediocre grades, i'd think long and hard about my options if i were you.

Sep 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
well heres the deal

most of the classes i got a D in or lower were stupid classes like government and history or intro to something.....so i can easily retake those and get an A......that being said........my GPA will rise rather quickly....its not like i got straight C's through college....in fact i mostly got B's and A's....except for a few classes that i got D's or F's in......and that was because i was either working 50 hours a week or traveling with the basketball team....

i plan to apply to the lower schools anyway lol

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
but its in a totally unrelated field.....accounting has nothing to do with science or being a doctor...
It shows your work ethic, if you manage a 3.5 gpa while in school you'll probably be able to work through medical school academics. You could also say that everything until residency has nothing to do with actually being a doctor.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
well heres the deal

most of the classes i got a D in or lower were stupid classes like government and history or intro to something.....so i can easily retake those and get an A......that being said........my GPA will rise rather quickly....its not like i got straight C's through college....in fact i mostly got B's and A's....except for a few classes that i got D's or F's in......and that was because i was either working 50 hours a week or traveling with the basketball team....

Doesn't matter, retaking 3-5 D/f's will increase your gpa substantially. Lower schools don't exist in America, DO & MD schools are hard core and cut throat. However your welcome to go to Ross university in the Caribbean with a 2.7, if you want to be a Doctor work hard and retake classes end of story.

jm192

7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2009
Never Neverland
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I wouldn't rule MD out just yet, but it's going to be tough either way.

I DO think that an Admissions committee is going to be very underwhelmed with your GPA at the moment. I don't know much about accounting, it seems like some of the upper courses could be tough, but I think an ADCOM may view the pre-med pre-reqs as tougher. If so, the immediate throught process is that if you had trouble with a less challenging pathway, than you're really going to struggle.

Since you've only taken some, you can fix it. BUT, I think you're REALLY looking at needing to blow it out of the water. Show them you've decided this is what you want to do, and you're committed to it, AND you can be successful. A's, A's, A's.

If working is keeping you from mostly A's...you may end up needing to consider Post-Bac or other additional education.

You also need to shadow, ALOT. There's no better way to convince them you know what you're getting into and you actually know you want to do it than to shadow.

Find a local free clinic or something along those lines to put in some volunteering hours--you can do the whole clinical experience and volunteering in 1 place. If you're only taking classes during the regular semester, you can get your volunteer hours in over the breaks.

Get an MCAT review book, and try to review the classes you've had a little over your breaks as well--keep it somewhat fresh and useable in your mind.

Good luck friend!

illegallysmooth

Smooth member
10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Buffalove
Status
Attending Physician
This isn't complicated - START GETTING As. I was in a similar spot as you, except I didn't kick my ass hard enough for the remaining 3 years and ended up doing a masters program. You said you don't want to kid yourself, so don't :) If you start getting consistent As now, you will be in good shape to apply in a few years (as far as GPA is concerned).

Sep 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
so it doesnt matter if you go from a 1.5 to a 3.5 it only matters that you have a 3.5 as of current right??????

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
certainly, although it's probably impressive to go from a 1.5 to 3.5.. or even 2.7 to 3.5

Sep 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
i wouldnt care if i went to ross U or not.....an M.D. is an M.D. is an M.D.

but anyways....at least i havent F*cked up my pre reqs lol..............then i would be in trouble......

i dont have a problem retaking classes i got D's and F's in and getting A's.......but yea i hear ya i think D.O. is the only way for me....

and plus i havent takin the mcat either so......

jm192

7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2009
Never Neverland
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i wouldnt care if i went to ross U or not.....an M.D. is an M.D. is an M.D.

but anyways....at least i havent F*cked up my pre reqs lol..............then i would be in trouble......

i dont have a problem retaking classes i got D's and F's in and getting A's.......but yea i hear ya i think D.O. is the only way for me....

and plus i havent takin the mcat either so......
If I understand correctly, AACOMAS--the DO application, only counts your retake, instead of the time you took it and got a C. That will play to your favor alot when you bring those bad grades in easier classes up to A's.

I still think if you just rock the rest of the pre-reqs--an MD adcom is going to see you've shown a nice upward trend and a commitment.

Not to say MD is any better, I just wouldn't think it's totally ruled out yet.

Dec 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
well heres the deal

I think the fact that you have the opinion that the classes negatively affecting your GPA were "stupid" is part of the problem. If they were stupid or lower then it should have probably been easier for you to obtain a better grade in them. I personally think it looks weird to get poor grades in introductory/GE courses and then high grades in pre-med courses. It doesn't show consistent commitment or dedication, just seems like you only perform when you feel like it lol I mean I guess it demonstrates that you have the potential to do good things when you put your mind to. But I think med schools are looking less for potential itself and more for realized potential..

I also don't think its a good idea to go back after graduating and retake introductory courses or GE courses just to go for grade replacement via DO or a GPA boost for MD. I think maybe you should do some kind of master's program or take upper division science courses as an alternate method of increasing your GPA. Otherwise you're re-taking classes that don't really benefit you in the long term, and my personal opinion is that its just corny haha.

Sep 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
i hear ya miss bones.......but i have this fear that even if i get a 4.0 masters......they will make up something silly like...."since you got a D in government you probably dont know how the healthcare system works" and i would have no way to prove them wrong......so i'd would rather just re take them so i wont be in that situation.....

and thanks JM92 i quit my job so i will definitely be getting better grades.....

ThirdEye

10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
2.7 with 120 credits is putting you in a bad place. I can honestly say that MD is going to be impossible for you. However if you can go back to undergrad and retake and redo classes you got a C- and below in and you might be able to get into a DO program if you get a good mcat score. Aim for your Sgpa to be as high as possible.

Pure B.S.

Jrsharp70

...failure to communicate
Mar 26, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Take your MCAT and apply to a post-bac program. MD and DO schools are making them a trend. If you absolutely rock out the post-bac program, you will have a significant chance of getting in.

They are expensive, and often too much course work to maintain a job through.

This is but one example, at one DO school. VCOM

PCOM has one, so does South Carolina If this is REALLY what you want to do, and you know you can hack it, it is your best bet. It is sort of... shady in some respects, and great in others. The school can make a lot of money from you and still you are not guaranteed anything. However, if you can hack it, it may be your ticket.

Keep in mind, many Caribbean schools take many more students than they could possibly matriculate, knowing that half of the class will wash after 2 years, 80k in debt.

Best of luck. I was in a similar situation and I instead spent 3 years doing medical research at a major school. I still did not get accepted to that school, but I only applied to 4 schools and got one. I did not have such a low GPA though.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
well heres the deal

Not that quickly... even if you get all A's in the classes you got F's in, your average for that class is still going to be C, and it will count double. Since a 2.0 is lower than your current average, it will take a long while to bring up that GPA. If you go DO, they have grade replacement, so in that case, your GPA will rise rather quickly because you'll be throwing out the bad grade completely.

But the fact that you've taken 4/8 of the pre-med prereqs and gotten B's in three of them indicates something. You need to get that GPA especially up. You'll have to work many years to be competitive for MD schools with that GPA, though it will be easier if you do really really well on the MCAT. It'll be slightly less daunting if you choose to go the DO route. You'll be a doctor at the end either way.

Dec 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
i hear ya miss bones.......but i have this fear that even if i get a 4.0 masters......they will make up something silly like...."since you got a D in government you probably dont know how the healthcare system works" and i would have no way to prove them wrong......so i'd would rather just re take them so i wont be in that situation.....

and thanks JM92 i quit my job so i will definitely be getting better grades.....
I think that would be the least of your worries come interview day.

GoodmanBrown

is walking down the path.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
what is the post -bacc like???
Post-bacs are just a year of classes that let you complete your pre-reqs. I did one at UVA, and in the first summer you take Gen. Chem I & II with lab. During the regular academic year, you take Physics, O. Chem, and Biology all with lab. Some people opted out of O. Chem lab one of the two semesters and took it during the second summer term. All in all, you complete the full pre-req requirements in about 1 calender year.

Of note, UVA's program (along with lots of others, I think) wants you to come in without the pre-reqs. The program is specifically for people who had other majors and didn't do pre-med stuff as undergrads. So, you having a number of your pre-reqs might be a black mark. Further, many top schools' post-bac programs want students who did very well in college. It's not seen a remedial program.

EDIT: I just noticed you asked what a post-bac is like. Ummm... I guess it's just like a year of really intense classes. At UVA, the science classes are generally 4 credits with the labs being 1 additional credit and o. chem lab being 3 credits. So, you're taking 16ish credits of straight science. I found it to be enjoyable, but we had several people who dropped out. It's intense, fo' sho'.

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status
2.7 with 120 credits is putting you in a bad place. I can honestly say that MD is going to be impossible for you ( without a SMP). However if you can go back to undergrad and retake and redo classes you got a C- and below in and you might be able to get into a DO program if you get a good mcat score. Aim for your Sgpa to be as high as possible.
you can technically get some really good LORs, like from some one whos a big deal. like president Obama.