What to do if you have no awards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pkboi24

Don't laugh at my SN
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never won any awards or had any honors except the Dean's List and this Texas scholar's thing in high school that qualified you for a grant - It wasn't really an award since a million people got it.

What should I do? Will this reflect very poorly on my application?

Anyone else out there in the same situation?

Should I even put down Dean's List and Texas Scholars? They're obviously resume padders, even though I got them every semester I was in college.

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

:scared:
Pkboi24 said:
I've never won any awards or had any honors except the Dean's List and this Texas scholar's thing in high school that qualified you for a grant - It wasn't really an award since a million people got it.

Should I even put down Dean's List and Texas Scholars? They're obviously resume padders, even though I got them every semester I was in college.

Please help!
Also, if anyone could suggest help for the opposite. I have a billion awards and no service!!!

PittMedicine said:
Also, if anyone could suggest help for the opposite. I have a billion awards and no service!!!

Here's a suggestion: Die in a fire.

Okay, just kidding. But I think your situation is hardly as dire as mine. Anyone can get service but awards are special.

Also, is it just me or is the forum on the fritz?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just give up. You will not get into med school.

Pkboi24 said:

Please help!

I'm in a similar situation I suppose. If you got dean's list every semester that shows a strong pattern of academic excellence, so I would include that. Don't know much abou tthe Texas scholar thing, but if it's from high school, I wouldn't include it. If it's not a very exclusive award and from hs, then it REALLY looks like filler. My advice, write a really strong personal statement that somehow captures how much you got out of your academic or other important experiences. Not all value can be matched with an award. (Sorry, this probably isn't very helpful... I tried...)

Why don't you try applying for awards? If you don't have them, you can't really do anything about it. Most of the committees that grant them for schools take months to process through the applications.

For the second guy, service is generally easier. Almost any hospital, clinic, inner-city, social services can always use extra hands. Granted you won't have a long time to do much and your AMCAS will show it, but its better than nothing. Of course, It's best if you have stuff you're really passionate about something.

If you have less than 5 things of any kind in your EC section, it will look thin. As long as you have at least 5 things and there are at least 3 different categories covered (employment, honors, volunteer-clinical, volunteer-nonclinical, publications, presentations, etc, etc) then you should be okay. You are who you are.

Texas State Scholar is based on your H.S. record (I had the same from my state with $$ each year I was in college) so it is a bit of a "padding"; I'd consider it neutral in the scheme of things: you won't be penalized for listing it but you won't really impress anyone by it.

You know what the A in Awards stands for?

Arbitrary.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Do you really need awards to get into med school, especially if you have strong extra-curriculars. And what do those awards have to be?

I have yet to apply to med school (so throw this post away as necessary), but I tend to categorize all of these questions into a "punch card approach" to getting into medical school (term borrowed from a pediatric surgeon I know). Bio major? Punch, Volunteer at the ER? Punch, Award for X? Punch. "Okay, good to go."

I, however, don't think the process has to be (or, imho is) that way. If you have a competitive GPA, MCAT, and interesting extra-curriculars, a cool life history, a passion for basket weaving, whatever, who cares if you didn't earn a debate award one year or an honor from your department (or whatever other awards you're worried about lacking)? Deep breath OP. I'd be really surprised if many people put an experience in each of the AMCAS scroll-down categories.

Reactions: 1 user
Pkboi24 said:
Here's a suggestion: Die in a fire.

Okay, just kidding. But I think your situation is hardly as dire as mine. Anyone can get service but awards are special.

Also, is it just me or is the forum on the fritz?

I think you should put your dean's list, summa cum laude graduation, Golden Key, Phi Beta Kappa stuff on your AMCAS. I do NOT CARE that OTHER people got those awards too. I am having a little section where I am putting all of that stuff together, so it is all ONE item on the AMCAS; I don't think Golden Key or Phi Beta Kappa by itself merits its' own little section, but I don't think you should leave it out.

It doesn't matter if you had to pay or not to join an honor society. If you joined and you did something in the honor society, you should put it. I am sick and tired of reading the posts that are all "Oh you have to PAY to get into that one so it's stupid!"

LizzyM said:
If you have less than 5 things of any kind in your EC section, it will look thin. As long as you have at least 5 things and there are at least 3 different categories covered (employment, honors, volunteer-clinical, volunteer-nonclinical, publications, presentations, etc, etc) then you should be okay. You are who you are.

Texas State Scholar is based on your H.S. record (I had the same from my state with $$ each year I was in college) so it is a bit of a "padding"; I'd consider it neutral in the scheme of things: you won't be penalized for listing it but you won't really impress anyone by it.

Oh no...

Well...my team got 1st place in this one 5k run IM event and I've won 3 small photography contests within my university's photography club. Should I put these down even though they're not really recognized...?

i'd say that you should put what you can on there. i don't think adcoms will look down upon it. you may not get any benefit but it can't hurt.

Pkboi24 said:
Oh no...

Well...my team got 1st place in this one 5k run IM event and I've won 3 small photography contests within my university's photography club. Should I put these down even though they're not really recognized...?

Wow, you are a mess. How many neurotic threads have you started lately? I think you need some Xanax or something...

Members don't see this ad :)
Zoom-Zoom said:
Wow, you are a mess. How many neurotic threads have you started lately? I think you need some Xanax or something...

Quite a few. But then again, isn't that the point of this forum?

• Haha
Pkboi24 said:
Oh no...

If you will list your photography club on AMCAS, you can just put these awards into description of this EC.

PittMedicine said:

Volunteer in an ER over the summer. Get to know a physician who can write you a recommendation letter.

Pkboi24 said:

Please help!

Put them on there. Dean's List IS an honor.

what are people's feelings on hs valedictorian? I know its high school, but it was an important milestone in my life. is the high school rule of thumb pretty strict? does it seem like padding if i included it in honors/awards under one category with like dean's list and national merit? i mean, im kinda proud of it :oops:

rajad10 said:
what are people's feelings on hs valedictorian? I know its high school, but it was an important milestone in my life. is the high school rule of thumb pretty strict? does it seem like padding if i included it in honors/awards under one category with like dean's list and national merit? i mean, im kinda proud of it :oops:

One crusty old adcom member I know would look at that and say, "That's just ducky, now what have you done since h.s.?"

It is a totally wasted slot among the 15 you get on the AMCAS.

Pkboi24 said:
Quite a few. But then again, isn't that the point of this forum?

one neurotic thread a week, OK???????

LizzyM said:
It is a totally wasted slot among the 15 you get on the AMCAS.

what about those who are doing it to fill in unoccupied slots? :laugh:

quantummechanic said:
what about those who are doing it to fill in unoccupied slots? :laugh:

As long as you have 5 slots filled, you've done enough. If you've done more, that's great but don't feel the need to fill all 15 by dredging up activities from h.s.

Have mercy on the people who have to read these things.

Pkboi24 said:

Please help!

Just make up an award or two. It's all the same.

rajad10 said:
No, you shouldn't include it. Don't get me wrong: I was proud of being high school class valedictorian too, but you shouldn't include things from HS, and especially things like that where lots of people have the exact same award. Seriously, there are a zillion valedictorians in med school; every high school has at least one every single year. It won't make you stand out. Now if you are graduating college with a perfect GPA and getting an award for that, I would include that. They recognize BS students w/ perfect GPAs here, and there were only a few of them out of several thousand graduates.

You guys don't HAVE to put an award on your AMCAS, you know. They have lots of other categories, and there is no requirement that you fill in something under EVERY category. If you don't have an award, don't put anything for awards. No biggie.

PittMedicine said:

Perhaps you should get youself involved in different types of services before considering going into medicine... just a thought.

QofQuimica said:
No, you shouldn't include it. Don't get me wrong: I was proud of being high school class valedictorian too, but you shouldn't include things from HS, and especially things like that where lots of people have the exact same award. Seriously, there are a zillion valedictorians in med school; every high school has at least one every single year. It won't make you stand out. Now if you are graduating college with a perfect GPA and getting an award for that, I would include that. They recognize BS students w/ perfect GPAs here, and there were only a few of them out of several thousand graduates.

You guys don't HAVE to put an award on your AMCAS, you know. They have lots of other categories, and there is no requirement that you fill in something under EVERY category. If you don't have an award, don't put anything for awards. No biggie.

thanks, Q. you're always the voice of reason

rajad10 said:

there are countless numbers of hs valedictorians out there, and i think it'd look tacky to have to justify it by saying "class size = 1000". i'm proud of mine too, but i don't think it brings anything to the table after hs.

rajad10 said:
thanks, Q. you're always the voice of reason
Glad to help a fellow Floridian. :) Write about the things you've done as a college student that are important to you, rajad, and make sure you include your volunteering and clinical experiences. I didn't have tons of awards either, just one for teaching.

Please help!

Hi, Did you end up getting into medical school? If so, what specialty did you end up choosing? I just want to know how it turned out for you so I could relate it to my situation. Thanks!

Hi, Did you end up getting into medical school? If so, what specialty did you end up choosing? I just want to know how it turned out for you so I could relate it to my situation. Thanks!
They've been afk since 2018... fat chance

• Haha

Really dug deep into the archives for this lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Reviving a 14-year-old thread to ask if some random user got into medical school without an "award" designation on AMCAS... Sheesh