What to do next semester...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plumerias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior but I may be staying at least one or two more semesters because I'm a music major. I'm applying to dental schools this coming summer. I am having issues planning out my next semester due to scheduling.. would it "look bad" if I didn't take any science courses for a semester? Should I bother taking more science classes next year, even though I'll already be in the interview process? I'm concerned that since I'm a nonscience major, I would have ideally taken more upper levels.. I don't want to be at a disadvantage.

So far I have taken bio/orgo/ochem/physics/biochem1. My plan was to take histology in the spring but I have conflicting classes. I've also checked anatomy and physiology and they also conflict. Genetics and microbio require a pre-req that I haven't taken, which is only offered in the fall... are there any others I should consider?

I suppose I could take anatomy/physiology over the summer if it would give me a boost, but would it be worth the extra $$$?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a senior but I may be staying at least one or two more semesters because I'm a music major. I'm applying to dental schools this coming summer. I am having issues planning out my next semester due to scheduling.. would it "look bad" if I didn't take any science courses for a semester? Should I bother taking more science classes next year, even though I'll already be in the interview process? I'm concerned that since I'm a nonscience major, I would have ideally taken more upper levels.. I don't want to be at a disadvantage.

So far I have taken bio/orgo/ochem/physics/biochem1. My plan was to take histology in the spring but I have conflicting classes. I've also checked anatomy and physiology and they also conflict. Genetics and microbio require a pre-req that I haven't taken, which is only offered in the fall... are there any others I should consider?

I suppose I could take anatomy/physiology over the summer if it would give me a boost, but would it be worth the extra $$$?

Thanks guys!
You should have at least one. Talk to someone in the bio department or a professor who teaches one of the classes you're missing a pre-req for. If you can prove to them you can handle the course (bring your transcript) they might give you permission to take their class. I did this a few times so if you did well in your previous sci classes it may help you do the same.

Gentics and Microbio are recommended for Dental School. Some schools like MWU require A&P before admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying right now and I graduated undergrad in 2013. I'm a biology major and I never took microbiology, anatomy, and physiology. Unfortunately, I'm having to take those classes now. My advice would be to at least take anatomy and physiology if possible. So many schools require it and I never realized that. If it doesn't fit with your schedule, I wouldn't worry. Just be prepared to take the classes during your gap year like I am now (which, as you could guess, isn't ideal when all you want is some down time from school before you start d-school).

Thanks for all your replies!
Genetics and microbio require a prereq called cell structure and function, but I'll try talking to the department. For now, I registered for inorganic chemistry (not general chem, this is a upper level course) and I think I could get a good grade in it. Do you think this is a waste of time since it's not really a recommended class?

I'm planning to taking anatomy and physiology in my 5th year, along with any other school-specific prereqs.

I'm not expert or anything, but I really don't think dental school will care at all. If they ever ask about that one semester, just tell them you wanted to take a break due to stress/upcoming project/whatever is happening in your life, but didn't want to waste time so you took relatively easy courses during your "break"