What to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sobadsogood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took MCAT twice and 27 been the higher one. My GPA is 3.3, science one is around that number too. Graduated last year with Physics degree and have some research experience. worked in stem cell research lab for half a year. Currently working as a lab tech. I should have some good recommendation letters.

Given above. Knowing I have low GPA, I wanted to get a higher MCAT to compensate, but apparently that's not going to happen. My GPA is also not so low that Postbac would have a significant effect on boosting it. So right now I'm wondering if any MD school might accept me, or maybe DOs? Or should I forget about medical path... Or maybe there's something else I should consider?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Now is the applying session and I would like to make this decision as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances at MD are not very good. I believe you would have a decent chance at DO.

I took MCAT twice and 27 been the higher one. My GPA is 3.3, science one is around that number too. Graduated last year with Physics degree and have some research experience. worked in stem cell research lab for half a year. Currently working as a lab tech. I should have some good recommendation letters.

Given above. Knowing I have low GPA, I wanted to get a higher MCAT to compensate, but apparently that's not going to happen. My GPA is also not so low that Postbac would have a significant effect on boosting it. So right now I'm wondering if any MD school might accept me, or maybe DOs? Or should I forget about medical path... Or maybe there's something else I should consider?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Now is the applying session and I would like to make this decision as soon as possible.

All depends on your EC's. If you volunteered and did research and did not push past the typical EC's of a pre-med then your application will not be considered for interviews for MD. If you made your EC's worthwhile and got a lot out of them and can say a lot through your PS then you should have a chance at low-tier MD schools and a good amount of DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
So there are a couple things I could do to remedy my situation, but don't know if they are worthwhile:

1. Take MCAT for the third time. I think there's room for improvement, maybe around 2pts. But taking it 3 times?
2. Go to a postbac, take some classes and improve my GPA. The gain would not be significant.
3. Wait to apply next year while doing research. I actually don't know how this would help my application a year from now.

Those are the three paths that I thought off beside applying right now. But are any of those paths worth the wait and effort? I prefer MD over DO mainly because I would like to do surgery. I heard that DO are more for primary care.

DO's have a great chance at surgery residencies (both AOA and ACGME). A third MCAT would have to be dramatically better to give you a decent chance at an MD (by that time you would be a late applicant). What is your state of residence?

I have one more question. Would it hurt me if I apply next year? I really love my current research job, working on stimulate body to secret more insulin to treat diabetes. I would like to research one more year, but I don't know if that would delay me too much on this medical path.